Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

If Kyle is available he's my guy. The guy would be perfect for Fields and turning this offense around.

For as much praise as Shanahan gets for his offense let's not forget that he passed on Fields for Lance.

Also this guy has shown a propensity to blow big leads in big games.

Happened when he was the OC with Atlanta in SB vs NE. Remember 28-3?

Also blew it in the SB against the Chiefs 2 years back where they should have also won after being up by 11 pts late in that game.

Better game management on offense would have won both those Super Bowls.

His overall head coaching record with SF is also 31-39 (.443) and they have a pretty talented roster.

That said he's still a heck of a lot better than Nagy and his coaching record against Rodgers/GB is impressive. I doubt he's let go though

• Like 3

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm done bringing in young, hot-shot offensive coordinators that are working under offensive minds. Who knows how much of the Dallas offense is on Moore and how much is on McCarthy and/or the rest of the staff?

Daboll is running the show in Buffalo, he's proven he can develop an offense around an extremely talented and, what was once, a very raw QB.

Considering Moore calls the plays and was running the same offense under a different HC, I think it’s safe to say he’s running a lot of the offense.

Not every young HC is the next Nagy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm done bringing in young, hot-shot offensive coordinators that are working under offensive minds. Who knows how much of the Dallas offense is on Moore and how much is on McCarthy and/or the rest of the staff?

Daboll is running the show in Buffalo, he's proven he can develop an offense around an extremely talented and, what was once, a very raw QB.

Dallas is also loaded with offensive talent and so is Buffalo.

Give credit to Daboll and whoever at Dallas.  Coaching matters, but talent matters a lot too.

Josh Allen is most physically gifted QB in terms of size, speed and arm strength and that was true coming out.

People were knocking him IMO because he had to single handily win games his last year at Wyoming with very poor talent and that leads you to playing pretty wild.    Football is still a team game and situation matters.   Good QBs on bad teams can look bad.  

He had normal rookie progression and also talent (along with coaching) around him grew exponentially in same year he also started playing better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

As sad as it would be for him the absolute ideal move for us would be if we can get Vic Fangio get fired in Denver and we can pair him here with a really good offensive minded HC.

I think Fangio is getting himself fired.  We don't have to do anything.  

IMO Fangio made the cowards move trading for Bridgewater instead of drafting Fields.   At very least he should have went with the young QB another year.

He deserves his fate.  Same thing as trading for Dalton.  Dalton would have been better IMO.

He thought he was going to win SB Ravens style - awesome D and game manager QB.    I think those days are past.   Too many ways to get flagged these days.

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Give credit to Daboll and whoever at Dallas.  Coaching matters, but talent matters a lot too.

Josh Allen is most physically gifted QB in terms of size, speed and arm strength and that was true coming out.

People were knocking him IMO because he had to single handily win games his last year at Wyoming with very poor talent and that leads you to playing pretty wild.    Football is still a team game and situation matters.   Good QBs on bad teams can look bad.  

He had normal rookie progression and also talent (along with coaching) around him grew exponentially in same year he also started playing better.

Allen was God-awful coming out of Wyoming when you looked at his overall mechanics. He grew by leaps and bounds, I'd have to think Daboll played a significant role in that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If he got Fields playing up to his potential and the OL firing on all cylinders would it really be a disappointing hire though?

I mean he did those exact two things in Dallas with Dak and their OL. 

He's also shown the ability to hire quality coordinators/staff and has a lot of connections around the league.

Again I know he's not the flashy hot name but if the team is looking for an experienced head coach that has a proven track record of developing QB talent and offense then who is better than Garrett right now? I mentioned Doug Pederson the other day as one such option but he didn't get much love either.

We have to be prepared for the team wanting to go with an experienced coach this next time around after the Nagy failure.  Are they really going to want to have another coach learning on the job and go through those growing pains again?

If you can pair Garrett at HC with current Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay as GM it could be a decent combo

I just don't think he would though.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Are they though? Allen & Diggs sure but the rest of those offensive players are mostly mid round picks or other teams cast offs who have been developed since getting to Buffalo

Kyle is not going anywhere anytime soon. This is his first "bad" season if you want to call it. And I don't think he was the biggest fan of Fields either. Not that he disliked him or anything, but he was never seriously considered for the pick at #3. 

I think a good coach to go after would be Harbaugh if he can be obtained. That would be a perfect match until Fields is out of his rookie contract. If not Harbaugh, try your hand at a young defensive stud coordinator. I know teams want to just sign offensive head coaches but nothing wrong with a younger defensive coach. They will be able to adapt to the game in 2021 better and will be more open to changes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kyle is not going anywhere anytime soon. This is his first "bad" season if you want to call it. And I don't think he was the biggest fan of Fields either. Not that he disliked him or anything, but he was never seriously considered for the pick at #3. 

I think a good coach to go after would be Harbaugh if he can be obtained. That would be a perfect match until Fields is out of his rookie contract. If not Harbaugh, try your hand at a young defensive stud coordinator. I know teams want to just sign offensive head coaches but nothing wrong with a younger defensive coach. They will be able to adapt to the game in 2021 better and will be more open to changes. 

That's what I'm thinking also. While I think he and Fields would do just fine I just wouldn't be able to live with the fact that he passed on him for Lance and I'm not sure Fields would like that either lol

I think we missed the boat on the younger defensive coach with Brandon Staley. He was a coach under Fangios defensive unit here a few seasons ago and received a lot of good praise but stupid Nagy let him go instead of promoting him to DC. Ah well. I don't really see any other up and coming young DCs that stand out right now

If we go the defensive HC route then I would like to give a guy like Todd Bowles another shot but knowing Bears they'll probably want to hire a guy they're more familiar with like alum Leslie Frazier, which wouldn't be terrible, but also not overly inspiring.

I still think we need to figure out this damn offense more than anything. I'd take Harbaugh but I know a lot of Bears fans don't like him for whatever reason, even tho he's had success. 

I'm literally open to any one other than Nagy

Edited by topwop1

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That's what I'm thinking also. While I think he and Fields would do just fine I just wouldn't be able to live with the fact that he passed on him for Lance and I'm not sure Fields would like that either lol

I think we missed the boat on the younger defensive coach with Brandon Staley. He was a coach under Fangios defensive unit here a few seasons ago and received a lot of good praise but stupid Nagy let him go instead of promoting him to DC. Ah well. I don't really see any other up and coming young DCs that stand out right now

If we go the defensive HC route then I would like to give a guy like Todd Bowles another shot but knowing Bears they'll probably want to hire a guy they're more familiar with like alum Leslie Frazier, which wouldn't be terrible, but also not overly inspiring.

I still think we need to figure out this damn offense more than anything. I'd take Harbaugh but I know a lot of Bears fans don't like him for whatever reason, even tho he's had success. 

I'm literally open to any one other than Nagy

Harbaugh can be frustrating a bit with his offense but early on he's great with every team and he can recreate with Fields of what he did with Kaepernick. This defense also has talent and I think you guys are in fairly good shape in terms of cap space? Should be able to add some talent and if Fangio is fired, which I think he will be, then you can bring him back with Harbaugh as the HC. 

Bowles would be fine as well I think. 

Yeah, Staley would have been good but there are always some good young coordinators available. Demeco Ryans will be a HC at some point so that's an option but highly doubtful he will be a HC in the next year or so. 

More than anything, if Fields shows some improvements and progresses late in the season? Chicago will have some solid choices at HC for sure. 

I think we really benefit from the 2022 QB draft class looking so bad right...I can't see how any of these guys would want to go somewhere to work with a Willis or Pickett when you could have Fields...

I get the idea of going for a defensive guy but I just think the league is so slanted towards offence you run such a big risk of finding a good OC and he is snatched away in a year or two...you need consistency at that HC spot and to play to what the NFL is at the time...offence is the only way to go for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we really benefit from the 2022 QB draft class looking so bad right...I can't see how any of these guys would want to go somewhere to work with a Willis or Pickett when you could have Fields...

I get the idea of going for a defensive guy but I just think the league is so slanted towards offence you run such a big risk of finding a good OC and he is snatched away in a year or two...you need consistency at that HC spot and to play to what the NFL is at the time...offence is the only way to go for me.

I used to agree with this idea but the thing is it's very hard to find a good head coach who also happens to be good at calling plays on offense

A few guys can do it and do it very well but what this is what they had in mind whwb they hired Nagy and look how that worked out.

My thought is just hire the best coach you can who has goo connections around the league so he can put a good to great staff together 

• Like 1

To me you go for broke. I'm not saying to throw a first year position coach to HC but the goal is always to win the Super Bowl and find a franchise QB. Id rather roll the dice to go either 14-3 or 3-14. 8-9 does nothing but hinder your draft position. Either make deep runs or draft early to get Playmakers. 

This year we can interview HC candidates starting week 16 through skype. USE that! Fire this clown before Black Monday! Get Daboll, Moore, Lefteich, etc's attention. Poach from GB, whatever. Go for broke and let them know you're looking for the next Payton/McVay. 

GM needs to have a pair. Be up front HC has 3 years to show definitive improvement as a team. If year 3 QB is on question then seriously dig for a QB. IDC if we draft a new one every other year with a top pick. If you're not looking at a top 10 at MINIMUM then you don't offer up the minster deal. You invest around a rookie contract until you hit it. Maybe they're good enough to trade for a 3rd or better or when they walk you might get a compensatory pick. If the HC has a QB that is mediocre but he has been able to develop and make the offense work around that QBs weaknesses then they need to know they arent tied to that QB. Draft position doesn't mean they have top 10 talent. 

Invest in the OL/DL regularly. You win games in the trenches. You win championships because you have a great QB and can hit their QB. 

• Like 1