Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

8 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Yeah sorry meant to link that above lol. I mean...I think the Patriots have a very good chance of losing tomorrow. They've been playing bad football lately. 

The game I am probably most looking forward to as it could go both ways...Cowboys vs. 49ers will be great too.

When you start to properly look into these GM candidates their backgrounds are super interesting...not just scouts or personnel guys but cap experts...analytical guys...ex players...guys with coaching backgrounds...a mix of 1st & 2nd timers...fair play to the McCaskey's and Polian they have put together a versatile & talented list of guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Something makes me hesitate when it comes to Flores...the way he treated his staff is a real concern for me...wouldn't be totally against losing out on him to the Texans...they should want to throw everything at him given his love of Watson and how that could go a long way to fixing that franchise.

I'm a little apprehensive about him too.

Also 5 OCs or whatever it was in 3 years as HC is a very bad sign...and I don't care who your QBs are.

We can't have that type of instability..

Plus how high could Flores have been on their radar considering he was a surprise firing that no one expected ?

I don't think he'll end up being the guy

I much rather like the sounds of an Eliot Wolf/Josh McDaniels pairing 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

When you start to properly look into these GM candidates their backgrounds are super interesting...not just scouts or personnel guys but cap experts...analytical guys...ex players...guys with coaching backgrounds...a mix of 1st & 2nd timers...fair play to the McCaskey's and Polian they have put together a versatile & talented list of guys.

They need a Phillips replacement after 2023

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Have the Bears requested an interview with McDaniels? 

No

My guy for GM is still Rick Smith. He’s older than most of the other candidates (74), but he in 12 years as Texans GM his first round hit rate was SO GOOD:

2006 Mario Williams (over Reggie Bush)

2007 Amobi Okoye

2008 Duane Brown

2009 Brian Cushing 

2010 Kareem Jackson

2011 JJ Watt

2012 Whitney Mercilus

2013 Deandre Hopkins 

2014 Jadeveon Clowney

2015 Kevin Johnson

2016 Will Fuller

2017 Deshaun Watson 

6 of 12 have been to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and that’s just the 1st round guys. 3 of his non-1st round guys have been to multiple Pro Bowls too. How many flat out misses in round 1? One (Okoye)? Meanwhile, Watt and Hopkins are sure fire HOF, and Williams, Brown and maybe Watson have a shot.

Sign me up for that. 

• Like 1

Rick Smith is on my radar, because he does seem to have a good eye for talent, but personally I don't care what any candidate did 15 years ago. That doesn't help us in 2022 and beyond. Trying to recreate "the glory days" with old age and using past history is how we ended up coaches like Martz and Fox.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

@ChicagoBears

54m

We have completed interviews with general manager candidates Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and Champ Kelly.

I gotta favor to ask of you Mike. Can you, and others, please either @ me when posting this info, or at the least just post the link in the tracker thread so I can update the status of each candidate?

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

@AdamSchefter

· 8m

Texans fired HC David Culley, as NFL Network and Houston Chronicle also reported.

This is harsh on Culley who did far better than anyone expected...makes another opening with a NE connection so Daboll or Flores could be in play...

After Miami this firing really goes to show how cut throat some of these franchises are and at least the McCaskey's offer stability...hopefully a GM/HC will value that.

I look forward to seeing another HC come in to MIA and expecting top be better than 4-2 vs NE.