Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

21 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup, many who haven't really broken him down in whole game tape don't know that he wasn't the primary NT for the Huskies in their base defense. They played 3-4 some 3-4 under aspects and, of course, a lot of nickel. Vea is 335lbs, yes, but he is also 6'5". He played mainly as 3T in college and sometimes in nickel moved to the 1T depending on the other lineman in the game. Greg Gaines (6'2" 322lbs) played the NT or 1T or 0T in their base defense most of the time. He would come out in nickel a lot and the SLB, Benning Potoae, would be the 4th rusher on the line.

Vea has the size, length, penetrating burst and strength to play anywhere on the interior of the dLine,. He holds up and makes plays at the point of attack in the running game and keeps the "off the line" interior defenders clean. I see him being an impact player for the whole defense. Demanding a double team when on the opposite side of the line as Mack and when they are lined up next to one another it will wreck game plans.

...as NTL said.

DTnbyjVXkAEiPKo.jpg

2 minutes ago, mct288 said:

I'm high on a lot of different guys for the first round pick, and would be excited to plug them into the lineup. However, my excitement goes through the roof every time I circle back to Vea, or read a breakdown like this one. Oh man, just the thought of the bolded. Gimme.

I know, me too about Vea.

It will be important to have at least one DT that gets penetration  and can demand attention i in fact we do move to a 4-3.

Just to give you a few other guys to look at that will be around later that may provide that skillset as well.

Tim Settle VT (6'3" 335) - He is a bit shorter and therefore plays heavier game than Vea but he has some serious burst and push

Kendrick Norton  Miami (6'3" 320) - He has nice push as well and good hand action/punch/placement. Keep the olinemen off his body and rips and to get to the ball nicely. Constant motor was somewhat lacking but I only had 1 and a half games to review.

38 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know, me too about Vea.

It will be important to have at least one DT that gets penetration  and can demand attention i in fact we do move to a 4-3.

Just to give you a few other guys to look at that will be around later that may provide that skillset as well.

Tim Settle VT (6'3" 335) - He is a bit shorter and therefore plays heavier game than Vea but he has some serious burst and push

Kendrick Norton  Miami (6'3" 320) - He has nice push as well and good hand action/punch/placement. Keep the olinemen off his body and rips and to get to the ball nicely. Constant motor was somewhat lacking but I only had 1 and a half games to review.

Vea is probably my favourite choice as well. Not only is he going to be a great player in the NFL (imho) but in addition, his presence makes Khalil Mack better as he is less likely to be double teamed - it is too easy to scheme Mack at the moment (though he produces anyway) due to the lack of other D-line talent.

As for Kendrick Norton - did we not just get rid of him a few weeks back? :) 

i still like roquan smith as our first pick, but yeah Vea would be a great fallback choice. I also like Da'Ron Payne, too, but he's more one dimensional than Vea. He's locked in as a 4-3 DT or 3tech, while Vea seems more versatile. Payne is probably a more natural fit alongside Ellis... though Vea could be easier to build around long term if we move on from Ellis

Of course, this is all under the assumption that Fitzpatrick is off the board. That's a talent that I wouldn't pass up on at #9/10 regardless of position

I'd be ok with cutting Amerson and Smith. Though I would like to see Smith back.

Only CB's we'd have under contract for next year though would be Conley, Hamilton, and McDonald though. 

I'm kinda iffy on cutting Lynch. I would at least like to see us draft a RB in the draft. 

Could probably take both Tim Settle and Vita Vea (or Payne).  Mario Edwards, Vita Vea/DaRon Payne, Tim Settle, Khalil Mack. Rotate Eddie Vanderdoes in to keep the center of the line fresh. Have Bruce Irvin at LB opposite Khalil and have him rush often.

Buccaneers and Panthers have used that draft strategy before. ie. Gerald McCoy/Price and Star Lotulelei/Kawann Short.

Pro Football Focus just released their 2nd mock draft and it has Raiders getting Saquon Barkley at either 9 or 10. I know many think that’s a long shot but their mock has a very realistic line of thinking. Other off season thoughts.......

lynch returns, Newhouse cut/Sharpe replaces him, still believe Cooper gets 5th year option picked up, Crabtree restructures and stays, roberts cut, lee smith resigns, Mack gets record deal, Bowman signs cheap 2 year contract (he and lynch will be raiders until raiders leave Oakland), Aldon Smith who the hell knows, Nelson gone, Sean smith cut, Amerson cut, Carrie resigned. 

15 minutes ago, badmoon8081 said:

Pro Football Focus just released their 2nd mock draft and it has Raiders getting Saquon Barkley at either 9 or 10. I know many think that’s a long shot but their mock has a very realistic line of thinking. Other off season thoughts.......

lynch returns, Newhouse cut/Sharpe replaces him, still believe Cooper gets 5th year option picked up, Crabtree restructures and stays, roberts cut, lee smith resigns, Mack gets record deal, Bowman signs cheap 2 year contract (he and lynch will be raiders until raiders leave Oakland), Aldon Smith who the hell knows, Nelson gone, Sean smith cut, Amerson cut, Carrie resigned. 

With Cleveland having 2 picks in the top 5, I dont see how one isn't Barkley and a QB

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

With Cleveland having 2 picks in the top 5, I dont see how one isn't Barkley and a QB

I have at least 1 Browns buddy who believes they should resign Isaiah Crowell and use at least one 1st round pick on defense. I guess all this draft speculation gets blown up once free agency starts. 

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

QB and defense seems more logical. Minkah or Chubb would fill a big hole for them. 

If Barkley fell to Oakland, I would be elated. Don't see it happening though. RB values are on the rise.

19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

QB and defense seems more logical. Minkah or Chubb would fill a big hole for them. 

If Barkley fell to Oakland, I would be elated. Don't see it happening though. RB values are on the rise.

Chubb doesn't make sense right? Myles Garrett, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib, Nate Orchard

LT to replace Joe Thomas makes sense (but the prospect probably doesn't exist worth #4), RB makes sense (Barkley), then DB makes sense if they aren't going to support their rookie QB. A Calvin Ridley type could surprise though the reliable route runner with hands to complement Josh Gordon and Coleman the older age on Ridley likely wouldn't scare them as maturity route running and hands would be tops.

Their need on defense after DB (and DB again) is probably LB as Jamie Collins has missed time last year, but Collins + Schobert + Kirksey isn't a "need to replace" group, but could use depth. The Dline is stacked unless you want to upgrade Caleb Brantley, which is a real possibility. Garrett + Shelton + Payne + Ogbah/Orchard/Nassib is a wicked young talented line. I don't think Chubb at DE is as good an upgrade as your 3 other young talents have next to no snaps to contribute at that point.

11 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Do you guys prefer Richard or Washington?

They seem like similar plays to me except Richard has a little bit more production. He also fumbled a lot more this year too though. 

Before it was Richard for me, but his fumbling problems are a major concern and I am leaning towards Washington now. 

Both don't offer more than a COP/depth RB though. We need a legit starter.

Archived