Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Has Cowser really done enough to get a multi year deal ?

Seems like overkill to spend $8m on Irvin and $5m on Lynch then we draft a pass rushing DT as well in the 1st? 

Cowser got some decent rotational snaps behind Irvin before Pagano took over. I haven’t looked at the snap totals since Pagano took over, but I’d like to being either him or Calhoun back for some depth continuity.

Lynch would be pass rushing depth which the team currently doesn’t have (and desperately needs). Hurst would provide an all around interior presence. This is how I see the depth chart going down:

BASE

Edge: Irvin, Cowser, Lynch

DL: Edwards, Vanderdpes

DL: Lotulelei, Latham

DL: Hurst, Ward, Hester

Edge: Mack, Lynch, Cowser

NICKEL

DL: Edwards, Vanderdoes, Hester

DL: Hurst, Lotulelei, Ward

I was trashing Sean Smith in the beginning of the season, but since about week eight he been our best corner hands down and.Not only have he been our he been top 5 in the league.I wouldn't be mad if he's cut but I don't think it's gonna be a easy 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Cowser got some decent rotational snaps behind Irvin before Pagano took over. I haven’t looked at the snap totals since Pagano took over, but I’d like to being either him or Calhoun back for some depth continuity.

Lynch would be pass rushing depth which the team currently doesn’t have (and desperately needs). Hurst would provide an all around interior presence. This is how I see the depth chart going down:

BASE

DL: Edwards, Vanderdpes

DL: Lotulelei, Latham

DL: Hurst, Ward, Hester

NICKEL

DL: Edwards, Vanderdoes, Hester

DL: Hurst, Lotulelei, Ward

If we desperately need pass rushing depth (and I agree) then Cowser isn’t good enough and shouldn’t get a multi year deal. No need for Lynch and Cowser imo. We don’t want to be spending $1.5m a year on a 3rd stringer. 

39 minutes ago, BABPITT said:

I was trashing Sean Smith in the beginning of the season, but since about week eight he been our best corner hands down and.Not only have he been our he been top 5 in the league.I wouldn't be mad if he's cut but I don't think it's gonna be a easy

I disagree he's been the team's best corner. He's done his job well: deep 3rd and man under on the perimeter. But he hasn't been as important to the team or good as TJ Carrie, who plays the toughest position in the secondary at a high level.

I also (obviously) disagree he's been a top 5 corner in league. One of the reasons his targets are so low is because teams who throw his way often have to throw in double coverage. He's also seen favorable matchup against bigger, physical receivers with backup quarterbacks throwing to them in 2/3 games.

I was a Smith truther last year and I echoed a lot of the sentiments in the video you posted coming into the season. I wouldn't mind bring Smith back on a restructure, but I definitely wouldn't want to pay him the $9 million he's owed in 2018.

29 minutes ago, Dessie said:

If we desperately need pass rushing depth (and I agree) then Cowser isn’t good enough and shouldn’t get a multi year deal. No need for Lynch and Cowser imo. We don’t want to be spending $1.5m a year on a 3rd stringer. 

I think Cowser's good enough as a depth player to earn $1.5 a year. He's not a good pass rusher yet, but he's decent as a run defender and very competent in one coverage.

28 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree he's been the team's best corner. He's done his job well: deep 3rd and man under on the perimeter. But he hasn't been as important to the team or good as TJ Carrie, who plays the toughest position in the secondary at a high level.

I also (obviously) disagree he's been a top 5 corner in league. One of the reasons his targets are so low is because teams who throw his way often have to throw in double coverage. He's also seen favorable matchup against bigger, physical receivers with backup quarterbacks throwing to them in 2/3 games.

I was a Smith truther last year and I echoed a lot of the sentiments in the video you posted coming into the season. I wouldn't mind bring Smith back on a restructure, but I definitely wouldn't want to pay him the $9 million he's owed in 2018.

Let me rephrase that the second half of the season he's been playing like a top 5 corner.You right about the money though he needs to restructure his contract.I will keep Bruce Irving and cut Crabtree & Anderson

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Is it realistic to expect Irvin, Hudson, Crabtree, etc to play next year with no guaranteed money or will we restructure a number of these players? 

I don' think all 3 will be here without some sort of restructure. Here is the time to see if Reggie has the mindset to trade guys before it' to late. I wouldn't take issue with crabs or Irvin being traded.

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/20660/what-is-behind-sean-smiths-sudden-change-of-fortune-for-raiders

Sean Smith lowkey chewing out defensive staff (perhaps mainly KNJ but I can't tell):

"Versus come in for a play here and be like, 'Dang, I've been on the bench the whole game and you want me to come in [when] you're not getting no practice reps all week and all of a sudden game day it's, 'Here Sean, go in for one play.' And you get beat and it's, 'Oh, take him out.' It's like, 'Man, what the f---?' "

Kind of cherrypicking from the article though to be fair.

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

Is it realistic to expect Irvin, Hudson, Crabtree, etc to play next year with no guaranteed money or will we restructure a number of these players? 

I will say no, it's not realistic. I'd argue all three have more or less played up their contracts. I don't think Reggie has much leverage when it comes to restructuring them.

4 hours ago, BABPITT said:

Let me rephrase that the second half of the season he's been playing like a top 5 corner.You right about the money though he needs to restructure his contract.I will keep Bruce Irving and cut Crabtree & Anderson

He's done some nice things for sure. It's really between him and Amerson on who the team brings back. Both would have to come back on a restructured deal.

I think cutting Crabtree would be a major mistake if there isn't a reliable replacement plan. With him, I think the team needs another reliable receiver. Without him, they'd need two.

Archived