Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

Would rather go elsewhere in the draft.  If we have Mack, Irvin, Cowser, and Ziggy (and Aldon? but probably not) then I'm not sure a tweener in the 2nd round is the wisest move.  Also am not sure of going with another DB so early.  I prefer going after a vet DB, as you already have.  Seems like we're already collecting mid round talent at OT, is that something we want to continue?  I can't pretend I know the college guys you listed though, so maybe Armstrong is a jack of all trades similar to Haason Reddick? 

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

Carrie, Ellis and Bowman will be more expensive IMO.

You seem to forget Mack's extension as well.

I can't see us throwing out FA contracts like those at all...

Ellis might be more expensive but nose tackle contracts are hard to pin down. I think anywhere between $2 and $4.5 million a year is safe. Carrie's contract is a direct comp to Casey Hayward's. I'm not convinced Bowman signs beyond the vet minimum but we'll see.

Mack's 5th year option is factored into the cap totals.

20 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Ellis might be more expensive but nose tackle contracts are hard to pin down. I think anywhere between $2 and $4.5 million a year is safe. Carrie's contract is a direct comp to Casey Hayward's. I'm not convinced Bowman signs beyond the vet minimum but we'll see.

Mack's 5th year option is factored into the cap totals.

When I think about Ellis's deal I think about Abry Jones...4M/yr

Hayward is underpaid and it is well known around the league. I think Carrie can make a really solid argument that Sean and David worth less then him, so he could ask that 9M/yr easily IMO...

Bowman signed well above the vet min this year and he is having a strong couple of games. If he can keep it up he will be well in place for a 3-5M/yr IMO...

8 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Hayward is underpaid and it is well known around the league. I think Carrie can make a really solid argument that Sean and David worth less then him, so he could ask that 9M/yr easily IMO...

Carrie's contract is based on what Hayward got paid based on his career with the Packers, not who Hayward is now. Do you think Carrie is in the same class as Hayward now?

Abry Jones is a good contract comp for Ellis. Even with ehe extra $2 million the team could still easily afford. Honestly I didn't think Bowman was only 30.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Carrie's contract is based on what Hayward got paid based on his career with the Packers, not who Hayward is now. Do you think Carrie is in the same class as Hayward now?

Abry Jones is a good contract comp for Ellis. Even with ehe extra $2 million the team could still easily afford. Honestly I didn't think Bowman was only 30.

Hayward plays better then Carrie. Fact

His contract is not a good starting point tho IMO, since he clearly outplaying it and it clearly seems like big discount now. Carrie and his brass will point out to that if RM tries to get him for that money IMO. I think RM kinda paved the way with the Smith and Amerson deals...Carrie will ask to be better paid then them, since he played better. Amerson could stick with us one more year IMO or at least one more offseason and Carrie will probably ask more then his 6M 2018 money...obviously I'm just guessing here.

Carrie might give us a hometown discount since Reggie gave him a huge opportunity in that 7th round...we will see.

Yeah Bowman is just 30 and looks like a solid ILB lately. If we keep Pagano and move more towards a 3-4 base he might have a few good years ahead of him with us...

I can't really see us going after Ansah. He will command big bucks or a prove it year if the big bucks are not on the table. Our defense won't look like a good prove it type unit IMO. He is a 4-3DE rather then a 3-4OLB IMO and since we have Mack and Irvin he would need to split reps and our defense is bottom of the league this year...

I would expect him to go to a 4-3 team with a need at pass rusher DE with a solid/good overall defense...Carolina, Atlanta, Seahawks etc...

The only scenario I see us going after him is if we let Bruce Irvin go and don't bring back Autry. With his departure we would have an additional 8M to spend, we would have a need at EDGE across Mack. That situation and a good talk with our DC/HC/GM could make Ansah come join us.
We would be able to play a true 4-3 then if we want to. Mack and Ansah on the EDGEs, Edwards, Vanderdoes, Hester, Ellis, Latham, Ward...battle for the DT spots.

This actually makes sense :)

That Mack-Ansah duo could be strong enough against the run and would be an improved duo against the pass. With Edwards, Eddie, Hester being in the rotation for interior pass rush we could be a strong 4 man rush team and our back 7 could mainly focus on coverage...

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Ansah is an intriguing potential FA target, with Pagano in this scenario the permanent DC and known for primarily running a 3-4 would we be using Ansah as a Nickel pass rusher, base 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB?

I think he could play the 4-tech in base (where MEJ currently plays) and move MEJ inside of Mack. In nickel he could either play inside or out. 

36 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Hayward plays better then Carrie. Fact

You're using hindsight as a basis to say why Carrie deserves more. Unless you think Carrie is currently as good as Hayward, your argument is invalid. If you want to argue that $5 million is low for Carrie, fine; he's within a $4-$6.5 per year window.

I can't really see us going after Ansah. He will command big bucks or a prove it year if the big bucks are not on the table. Our defense won't look like a good prove it type unit IMO. He is a 4-3DE rather then a 3-4OLB IMO and since we have Mack and Irvin he would need to split reps and our defense is bottom of the league this year...

The difference between a 4-3 end and a 3-4 linebacker are much less than most people think. I believe Ansah could stand up and rush pretty easily. I also think he could play the 4-tech in base and 3-tech in clear pass rushing nickel.

Archived