Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

8 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Great breakdown... Mack going get his extension with a bump of over 10m leaving 15m to spend. Smith playing better but still overpaid so that is cut. I would only cut Crabtree for a clear upgrade which could be Devante Adams.. but would he take a 8-9m annual deal? Smith and possibly Amerson are the cuts I see

Mack's 13.8mil 5th yr option already counts toward that 25mil in  cap space. It's very possible that we work out a deal like the Donkeys did with Miller where that 14mil stays his cap hit for 2018 or or we just add around 5 mil in some kind of bonus. It would be in Mack's best interest to push the big money out in terms security in the NFL and having more of that money hit when we are in Vegas.

Any interest in the soon-to-be FA Eli Apple? It sounds like he has some character concerns and Collins called him a "cancer", but he does have tons of potential and CB is a major need.

Not saying I would want him, but it is an intriguing thought to consider if he does in fact get cut soon.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Any interest in the soon-to-be FA Eli Apple? It sounds like he has some character concerns and Collins called him a "cancer", but he does have tons of potential and CB is a major need.

Not saying I would want him, but it is an intriguing thought to consider if he does in fact get cut soon.

I imagine they'll try to trade him because he has a substantial cap hit in 2018, but I wouldn't be interested. I wasn't a fan going into his draft class and, like many, thought he was overdrafted. I'd be much more interested in Kyle Fuller but I imagine he'll be a re-sign given his strong season.

44 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Only 2 of his 4.45 is dead. Still safe money by cutting him.

It's a glass half full/half empty discussion. His cap # is 4.45mil next year. If we cut him, we owe him his 2mil roster bonus but save 2.45mil in base salary and workout bonus. I HIGHLY doubt Reggie is eating that cash. Just not his style. Unless we do a trade down or two and grab a good slot WR in the draft it just dosen't make sense cap wise.

If Smith and Amerson are both willing to restructure their deals to work for the team and we had to choose between the two, I think I would choose Smith.

Amerson has youth and all the physical traits on his side, but he simply is not a good player and never really has been. He really had one good stretch throughout his whole career, late 2015 with us. At least Sean Smith, while being a limited player, has been a good corner for years in this league in the past and not a brief flash in the pan like Amerson.

29 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If Smith and Amerson are both willing to restructure their deals to work for the team and we had to choose between the two, I think I would choose Smith.

Amerson has youth and all the physical traits on his side, but he simply is not a good player and never really has been. He really had one good stretch throughout his whole career, late 2015 with us. At least Sean Smith, while being a limited player, has been a good corner for years in this league in the past and not a brief flash in the pan like Amerson.

The court system may decide for us.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Without making any cuts next year we have 25 mil in cap space. 5-8mil goes to draft picks depending on round and total count (we spent roughly 5.8mil last year).

Then with all the Reggie deals signed over the last 3 years we have the following players making over a mil a yr but can be cut with no dead money.

Player - salary in millions

KO - 10.5, SSmith - 8.5, Hudson - 8.5, Bruce - 8.25, Crab - 7.75, Amerson - 6, Beastmode - 6, Patterson - 3.25, Newhouse - 1.75

That is 60 mil. Obviously we won't cut the majority of these guys but I bet a few go. Looking at other teams caps this is very sound contract work by Reggie. Most teams have their vets getting tons of dead money over the life of their deals and it kills their cap flexibility (cough... Chiefs!).

Sorry to say for some hoping but guys like Penn and Roberts that have almost 50% of their salary in dead money next year, it doesn't make financial sense to cut them. Especially for a fiscally sound guy like Reggie unless they just can't suit up to help the team.

We also are looking at maybe another 5 -10 mil going to Mack depending on what kind of deal we work out with him.

Thanks.  Shoulda checked OTC or somewhere but I was lazy.  Dead money is a very real concern, could see Penn cut though. Or a settlement or something.  Didn't realize we had that much space to work with before cuts even.

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't have any interest.  Yeah he's got a ton of potential but we don't need guys with that reputation.  Same reason I don't want Moncrief.  I've read bad things about the Colts WRs attitudes.

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Seems like a money grab. If Smith is smart, he'll settle with the loser.

He's being prosecuted by the state. That has nothing to do with a money grab. They have 2 eye witnesses not related or in the Smith's party that testified they saw the stomping. I think there is a good chance Smith gets convicted by the state.

Now the civil case is a bit much with the victim also naming the team for training Smith.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sean-smith-hearing-20171219-story.html

21 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Thanks.  Shoulda checked OTC or somewhere but I was lazy.  Dead money is a very real concern, could see Penn cut though. Or a settlement or something.  Didn't realize we had that much space to work with before cuts even.

Yeah, I agree Penn could be a cut guy, if he is slow to rehab that foot. That will be 2 years in a row he would miss OTA and stuff. All up in the air still obviously.

I had a fever dream (had the damn flu) that we drafted Tyrone Crowder in the 2nd rd and moved KO to LT. Wouldn't mind that but I think it's unlikely with the other hole we have to fill. I like this draft in the 2nd and 3rd rds. If I was a GM I'd be trying to get more of those picks this year.

Archived