Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

16 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Weekly update:

EEUR5op.png

Don't love addressing RB in the first but I haven't researched prospects yet so I'll hold my tongue there.  This is pretty similar to how I'd go about attacking this offseason.  Maybe pick up another over the hill vet at S for depth because Karl Joseph is our most experienced guy there besides Keith McGill. Is Nnadi a NT type?  I noticed we didn't retain Jelly in your FA and he's listed at 313 lbs.  Again, I just googled -- haven't begun evaluating incoming rookies yet.  Would like to keep Autry but I totally get moving on.

I think Koetter could be a good solution at OC if we hold onto JDR.  Pagano can field a middle of the pack defense too. 

25 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Is Nnadi a NT type?  I noticed we didn't retain Jelly in your FA and he's listed at 313 lbs.  Again, I just googled -- haven't begun evaluating incoming rookies yet.  Would like to keep Autry but I totally get moving on.

Yes, Nnadi is a straight up nose. He's pretty much a replacement for Justin Ellis on a cheaper contract. Autry is a good rotational player in the NFL, but the Raiders are full of those guys. Between Ward, Vanderdoes, Hester, and Latham, there's another Autry in there somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Yes, Nnadi is a straight up nose. He's pretty much a replacement for Justin Ellis on a cheaper contract. Autry is a good rotational player in the NFL, but the Raiders are full of those guys. Between Ward, Vanderdoes, Hester, and Latham, there's another Autry in there somewhere.

Cool, I figured both things you said were a part of your thought process.  Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to consider adding Crabtree to the list of possible cuts. He’s due to get $7.75m next year, he’s going to be 31 and had far too many drops. We need to get better depth at WR anyway as Roberts has regressed but maybe we should look to get a more reliable.receiver for Carr. 

It took me awhile to warm up to this but I agree. I said this in another thread but Allen Robinson, Terrelle Pryor, and Donte Moncrief will all be free agents. Have doubts about Pryor but all three could probably be signed for pretty cheap.

Jarvis Landry is a long shot since he is probably expensive and seems like he will stay in Miami.

Davante Adams is a pipe dream since he too will probably be expensive and what receiver would want to leave Aaron Rodgers? The only thing that could persuade him is his relationship with Carr since they were college teammates and still workout together in the offseason. Won’t cross my fingers with him though.

Drops are a problem with our receivers but I also don’t see them fighting for the ball like I do guys on other teams. Saw this position (other than Roberts) as a strength last year but definitely feel it can be upgraded now. I liked Crab bc he was reliable but hasn’t been the case most of this year.

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Man, ARob or Adams would be nice.  Gabriel would be interesting too.  Where are we going to get the money for these guys though?  Have to think we would need to make some cuts.  Smith, Roberts?

we have a shot at Devante Adams if Packers don't franchise tag him... I would go all in for him, top ten wideout hitting his prime, from the bay area too.. anyone got a good ranking of free agents

I too think it might be time to move on from Crabtree. He is expensive, old and his play has steadily declined as the season has went on. I wish we could get Patterson more involved in the O next year. Ditch Crabs, hope Cooper bounces back, and get a guy in the first 3 rounds to add to the mix.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Man, ARob or Adams would be nice.  Gabriel would be interesting too.  Where are we going to get the money for these guys though?  Have to think we would need to make some cuts.  Smith, Roberts?

Without making any cuts next year we have 25 mil in cap space. 5-8mil goes to draft picks depending on round and total count (we spent roughly 5.8mil last year).

Then with all the Reggie deals signed over the last 3 years we have the following players making over a mil a yr but can be cut with no dead money.

Player - salary in millions

KO - 10.5, SSmith - 8.5, Hudson - 8.5, Bruce - 8.25, Crab - 7.75, Amerson - 6, Beastmode - 6, Patterson - 3.25, Newhouse - 1.75

That is 60 mil. Obviously we won't cut the majority of these guys but I bet a few go. Looking at other teams caps this is very sound contract work by Reggie. Most teams have their vets getting tons of dead money over the life of their deals and it kills their cap flexibility (cough... Chiefs!).

Sorry to say for some hoping but guys like Penn and Roberts that have almost 50% of their salary in dead money next year, it doesn't make financial sense to cut them. Especially for a fiscally sound guy like Reggie unless they just can't suit up to help the team.

We also are looking at maybe another 5 -10 mil going to Mack depending on what kind of deal we work out with him.

37 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I too think it might be time to move on from Crabtree. He is expensive, old and his play has steadily declined as the season has went on. I wish we could get Patterson more involved in the O next year. Ditch Crabs, hope Cooper bounces back, and get a guy in the first 3 rounds to add to the mix.

This would be disastrous in my view. One of the main problems on offense this season has been receiver depth. The drop off from Cooper and Crabtree is immense.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This would be disastrous in my view. One of the main problems on offense this season has been receiver depth. The drop off from Cooper and Crabtree is immense.

Agreed. But this would be contingent on bringing in a viable replacement (like the ones mentioned above). Crabtree is trending in the wrong direction and we may be able to get an even or greater talent for a similar price.

23 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Without making any cuts next year we have 25 mil in cap space. 5-8mil goes to draft picks depending on round and total count (we spent roughly 5.8mil last year).

Then with all the Reggie deals signed over the last 3 years we have the following players making over a mil a yr but can be cut with no dead money.

Player - salary in millions

KO - 10.5, SSmith - 8.5, Hudson - 8.5, Bruce - 8.25, Crab - 7.75, Amerson - 6, Beastmode - 6, Patterson - 3.25, Newhouse - 1.75

That is 60 mil. Obviously we won't cut the majority of these guys but I bet a few go. Looking at other teams caps this is very sound contract work by Reggie. Most teams have their vets getting tons of dead money over the life of their deals and it kills their cap flexibility (cough... Chiefs!).

Sorry to say for some hoping but guys like Penn and Roberts that have almost 50% of their salary in dead money next year, it doesn't make financial sense to cut them. Especially for a fiscally sound guy like Reggie unless they just can't suit up to help the team.

We also are looking at maybe another 5 -10 mil going to Mack depending on what kind of deal we work out with him.

Great breakdown... Mack going get his extension with a bump of over 10m leaving 15m to spend. Smith playing better but still overpaid so that is cut. I would only cut Crabtree for a clear upgrade which could be Devante Adams.. but would he take a 8-9m annual deal? Smith and possibly Amerson are the cuts I see

Archived