Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

14 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Been saying it, Bruce Irvin is not a pass rusher but is being paid like he is one. He was brought here to help out Mack and he has failed miserably. His whole career, people looked at Irvin's speed, size and athleticism and automatically assumed he'd be a good pass rusher but he never developed into that. Much to Irvin's dismay, Seattle was correct in using him the way they did.

I'm in favor of him not being on the team next year. He's a solid all around player but not good enough in any one area to warrant keeping him at his current contract.

Then we would have garbage player starting like Calhoun. Reggie is from the Green Bay mold, won’t spend a ton in free agency... why created another hole, and when this team has plenty of cap space 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Then we would have garbage player starting like Calhoun. Reggie is from the Green Bay mold, won’t spend a ton in free agency... why created another hole, and when this team has plenty of cap space 

1) Calhoun will be a free agent this offseason; 2) reggie has spend plenty on FAs in the recent past (Osemele, Hudson, Irvin, Smith, Williams); 3) the team currently does not have a ton of cap space without releasing some players.

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

There will be plenty of cheap solid run defenders available, which is what Irvin does best. 

Guaranteed cuts this off season.  I think R. McKenzie should cut D. Amerson, S. Smith, B. Irvin, and R. Nelson.  Pickup Trumaine Johnson (28 years old, 6'2" CB) in FA, then draft B. Chubb at DE (trade up if he has to).  T. Johnson, G. Conley and T.J. Carrie would be our starting 3 CB's with O. Melifonwu and K. Joseph at the safety positions.  With K. Mack and B. Chubb collapsing pockets.  E. Vanderdoes and J. Ellis at DT/NT.  N. Bowman brought back in for a couple years to mentor C. James and M. Lee.  Pickup a LB in the second/third round.  RB in the second/third round.  I think we need to be ready for when M. Lynch walks away again, which is supposed to be after next year.

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Guaranteed cuts this off season.  I think R. McKenzie should cut D. Amerson, S. Smith, B. Irvin, and R. Nelson.  Pickup Trumaine Johnson (28 years old, 6'2" CB) in FA, then draft B. Chubb at DE (trade up if he has to).  T. Johnson, G. Conley and T.J. Carrie would be our starting 3 CB's with O. Melifonwu and K. Joseph at the safety positions.  With K. Mack and B. Chubb collapsing pockets.  E. Vanderdoes and J. Ellis at DT/NT.  N. Bowman brought back in for a couple years to mentor C. James and M. Lee.  Pickup a LB in the second/third round.  RB in the second/third round.  I think we need to be ready for when M. Lynch walks away again, which is supposed to be after next year.

Nelson is already schedule to become a FA. I'm not crazy about signing Johnson. According to PFF he hasn't graded well this season but I anticipate he'll still command top dollar at the position -- we've been burned by tall corners before. We'll see what happens with Jalen Collins through waivers, but I don't think it's unrealistic to see him develop into a similar style player as Johnson. There are some quality second round (loose projections) corners in this year's draft, too. I really want to see the Raiders bring in an experienced base end and/or tackle to give the front a veteran presence. My current FA mock has the Raiders signing both Adrian Clayborn and Star Lotulelei.

It would cost more than I'd be willing to give up to move up into Chubb range. I honestly think Landry (Boston College) or Hurst (Michigan) are equal or better value who should be available around the time the Raiders are picking. Denzel Ward is another guy who might be there. He falls somewhere between Marshon Lattimore and Gareon Conley, talent-wise, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not sure the current waiver order, but doubtful he makes it to the Raiders. Talented player, some team with higher priority will claim him right

Waiver order would be current draft order I believe, and as of right now we would be picking 10th.

11 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Trade up draft Cubb- pass rush solved 

rounds 2 & 3 draft RB and LB..... boom. Two more weak links solved 

free agency sign a cornerback, and upgrade DT  letting Ellis walk... being  Bowman and Carrie back... 

new cordinators 

What are you trading up with? You don't get to trade up and keep all those picks lol. Future round 1 and 2?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

What are you trading up with? You don't get to trade up and keep all those picks lol. Future round 1 and 2?

Seth Roberts lol nah... Maybe future pick... 

this team doesn’t just need a defensive starter it needs a franchise cornerstone on defense 

Joseph was good pick and could be a stud starter but I really wanted a defensive cornerstone like Jalen Ramsey.. wanted that trade up... 

19 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

You add somebody in FA for the same price tag who can actually rush the passer.

7 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Like? Everyone wants to say “Plug player X in and profit” but pass rushers don’t always hit the open market. 

Adrian Clayborn I believe will be a free agent and is having one of the best seasons of his career. Some people don't seem to like Ezekiel Ansah but I think he could revitalize his career given new scenery. There are a few others but I really want to pair a veteran free agent with a first round pick pass rusher.

My current projection has the team signing Clayborn and drafting Harold Landry. Clayborn gets most of the early down work and could even bump inside while Landry rushes from the outside in obvious passing downs.

Archived