Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

49 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So you mention coaches that were helped to get jobs because of great QBs but ignore that Harbaugh has success without a great QB?

True but he also had Greg Roman as the OC with a totally new offense which the NFL has never really seen before with the QB run game, has since taken it to Baltimore and clearly the NFL has problems with it still.  Not sure that was Jim, he was not the OC.  Greg Roman was on the 49ers exactly as long as Jim was and could see the decline in Colin after he left  Colin was drafted when Harbaugh was the HC in 2011 and his best seasons obviously were with Greg Roman and that offense.

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

NYG - Brian Daboll
DEN - Nathaniel Hackett
CHI - Matt Eberflus
LVR - Josh McDaniels

MIN - TBD
HOU - TBD
MIA - TBD
JAC - TBD
NOR - TBD

LVR and CHI look like very average hires to me right now. NYG is a home run hit and Denver have also knocked it out of the park if the Hackett hiring locks Rodgers in to going to Denver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

True but he also had Greg Roman as the OC with a totally new offense which the NFL has never really seen before with the QB run game, has since taken it to Baltimore and clearly the NFL has problems with it still.  Not sure that was Jim, he was not the OC.  Greg Roman was on the 49ers exactly as long as Jim was and could see the decline in Colin after he left  Colin was drafted when Harbaugh was the HC in 2011 and his best seasons obviously were with Greg Roman and that offense.

Harbaugh is the son of a coach and was an NFL QB for 14 years. I think his X and O knowledge is better than your giving him credit for.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Harbaugh is the son of a coach and was an NFL QB for 14 years. I think his X and O knowledge is better than your giving him credit for.

True maybe I underrate his X and O knowledge, but for example his brother Jon has been a head coach in the NFL for 14 years and what has been in the NFL as a coach for 24 years or so.  His brother Jim has been in the NFL 5 years total, there is a reason for that.  

But would be great if he went to Miami and not Minnesota.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

NYG - Brian Daboll
DEN - Nathaniel Hackett
CHI - Matt Eberflus
LVR - Josh McDaniels

MIN - TBD
HOU - TBD
MIA - TBD
JAC - TBD
NOR - TBD

Lot of openings left, they will be filled quickly is my guess.  Vikings better get a move on if they know who they want but not sure they know.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Lot of openings left, they will be filled quickly is my guess.  Vikings better get a move on if they know who they want but not sure they know.  

Their head coach is coaching in tonight's game, so there is no rush.

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True maybe I underrate his X and O knowledge, but for example his brother Jon has been a head coach in the NFL for 14 years and what has been in the NFL as a coach for 24 years or so.  His brother Jim has been in the NFL 5 years total, there is a reason for that.  

But would be great if he went to Miami and not Minnesota.  

I think that’s mostly because he’s been given good opportunities in college, not something to look negatively on.

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I think that’s mostly because he’s been given good opportunities in college, not something to look negatively on.

John was also a college coach for 14 years priors to getting a job in the NFL.  No one ever accused John of being a great Xs and Os mind, because he's not.  He's a leader. Jim is a leader and pretty decent at Xs and Os..and Jim was still playing QB at the NFL level when John got his start coaching in the NFL.  It's ridiculous to compare the two as far as coaching, when one got a 17 yr head start on coaching.

Edited by swede700

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Their head coach is coaching in tonight's game, so there is no rush.

And who is that?  I sure hope you do not say Kevin O'Connell.  

Of the teams left playing I would take Eric Bieniemy and DeMeco Ryans over him.  Could even throw Steve Spagnuolo and Raheem Morris into that mix I would take ahead of O'Connell.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And who is that?  I sure hope you do not say Kevin O'Connell.  

Of the teams left playing I would take Eric Bieniemy and DeMeco Ryans over him.  Could even throw Steve Spagnuolo and Raheem Morris into that mix I would take ahead of O'Connell.  

It'll be either O'Connell, Ryans or Morris.  But, my money is probably on O'Connell, just because it appears that Kwesi seems to have a better connection with him (O'Connell was in charge of special projects, so he and Kwesi probably spent a lot of time together). It also helps that Kirk has a connection to him as well, being his QBs coach in 2017.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It'll be either O'Connell, Ryans or Morris.  But, my money is probably on O'Connell, just because it appears that Kwesi seems to have a better connection with him (O'Connell was in charge of special projects, so he and Kwesi probably spent a lot of time together). It also helps that Kirk has a connection to him as well, being his QBs coach in 2017.

If the NFL is just about hiring your friends that is just sad, sure people have connections to other people but give some others a chance which I have already talked about once before.  Not sure anything O'Connell did in his entire career has shown he should be a Head Coach outside of latching onto McVay's coaching tree which is always the given hire it seems in the NFL, hire one of McVay's assistants.  

Thought Kwesi thought outside the box a little.  

My preference:

1. Harbaugh

~big gap~

2. O'Connell

~small gap~

3. Ryans

3. Morris

Harbaughs winning track record and the way he transformed the 49ers and Michigan is too big to ignore IMO. Give him a 4 year contract and see what happens.