Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

It’s also telling that the Harbaugh interview wasn’t announced until after they interviewed the Rams coordinators.  I imagine those guys potentially could have opted out like Ryans did if they new more about a pending Harbaugh interview.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Is Harbaugh actually committed to power running, or just utilizing the talent available to him? He was never going to run an air raid offense in the Big 10 (or with Kaepernick in SF).

He was a power run coach at Stanford, with Andrew Luck. Brought that offense with him to SF. And continued it in Michigan. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

He was a power run coach at Stanford, with Andrew Luck. Brought that offense with him to SF. And continued it in Michigan. 

Strange.  You would think a guy who was an NFL quarterback himself would want to pass the ball a lot.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach of the Vikings. 

Can’t say I’m thrilled. 

Yeah I am not thrilled either, that National Signing Day thing almost promises he is the Vikings HC.  Then again better than Kevin O'Connell in terms of experience.  Would love to of had Ryans but was probably a little early for him anyway and needs a little more time in his coaching development.

This was my original list before all the names were being thrown around and now added them into where I would rank them all indicated by the *.

Brian Flores Former Dolphins HC
Ryan Day Ohio State HC
*DeMeco Ryans 49ers DC
Todd Bowles Bucs DC
Joe Barry Packers DC
Vance Joseph Arizona DC
*Raheem Morris Rams DC
Byron Leftwich Bucs OC
Leslie Frazier Bills DC 
Sean Desai Bears DC
*Jim Harbaugh Michigan HC
Eric Bieniemy Chiefs OC 
Jeff Stoutland Eagles OL coach
*Kevin O'Connell Rams OC

I don't know anything about Patrick Graham so not sure where I would put him.  

Still I would rather have Flores or Day, but I guess Harbaugh is at least experienced unlike O'Connell.  He is an old school coach that obviously plays a lot of TEs but then again Greg Roman and that roster was the reason he was successful on the 49ers, and he brought an energy to the team back then in the pros.  Not sure he would bring the same vibe and even at Michigan his 'energy' was getting a bit old even for them I feel despite having a great year which was mostly player lead.

Edited by Ozzy

The Athletic’s Arif Hasan reported on Saturday, January 29, that if Harbaugh returns to the NFL, he will plan to hire former Chicago Bears head coach Vic Fangio as his defensive coordinator.

Fangio was a defensive coordinator at Stanford in 2010 before he and Harbaugh took over the San Francisco 49ers in 2011. The duo was credited with turning around the 49ers defense, producing a league-high 35 turnovers that season. What was expected to be a rebuilding year for the formerly 6-10 49ers became an instant contender, making an appearance in the NFC Championship Game. The duo went on to lead San Francisco to two more appearances in the NFC title game, including a victory that led to an appearance in Super Bowl XLVII, before being fired in 2015 amid tension with the front office.

Fangio has produced some of the NFL’s best defenses across his coaching career. His defenses have ranked in the league’s top-five in yards allowed in five of the past 11 seasons. They’ve also ranked in the top-five for points allowed five times during that span.

The 49ers defense ranked inside the top-five in points yards allowed all four years of their tenure in San Francisco, while ranking in the top-five in points allowed three of the four seasons.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/jim-harbaugh-vic-fangio-nfl-news/