Bears Coordinators and Assistant Coaches Search/Interviews

GOGRIESE

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would massively disagree...if you have OL coach as important as anyone then the guy directly responsible for attacking that OL is just as important.

DL are very important.   The coach is not AS important.

DL is, relatively speaking, easy to teach and their assignments are super simple.  

OL is every bit as technical and 10x as hard schematically.  There is a reason the OL are typically smartest guys on any football team (and often worst athletes).

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 5m

The #Bears are hiring DL coach Travis Smith, source said. He has. spent the last several years with the #Raiders.

If you can't get Rod (who I am guessing will go with Lovie probably as DC) might as well get his assistant.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

DL are very important.   The coach is not AS important.

DL is, relatively speaking, easy to teach and their assignments are super simple.  

OL is every bit as technical and 10x as hard schematically.  There is a reason the OL are typically smartest guys on any football team (and often worst athletes).

I would still disagree with that thinking...protecting your QB and hitting their QB is everything in football...the two guys in charge of those units are equally important IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would still disagree with that thinking...protecting your QB and hitting their QB is everything in football...the two guys in charge of those units are equally important IMO. 

You are still confusing position importance with rarity of skillset needed and available to coach said position.

DL is extremely important.  Arguably most important unit of defense.

Like RBs are extremely important to an offense.   They touch the football 2nd only to the QB on almost every team.

But there are lot of them that are similar in skill set and vast majority of those good enough to start in NFL can't play well without a good O line and vast majority of that set can play very well with a good O line.

An NFL caliber DL coach doesn't move needle all that much for DL play in either direction no matter his skill level.

A great OL coach on other hand adds a ton of plus value and the elite OL coaches are far better than the average or bad ones and make a giant difference to team play overall.

It was Alex Gibbs that made Shanahan look the offensive genius (originally).  Shanahan is no dummy and he learned from him from coaching together so long.

It was Dante Scarnecchia who kept making groups of average or bad players into good O lines for Brady (and getting them giant contracts else where).   

There was a reason Belichick would beg for him to not retire year after year and made him co-head coach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You are still confusing position importance with rarity of skillset needed and available to coach said position.

DL is extremely important.  Arguably most important unit of defense.

Like RBs are extremely important to an offense.   They touch the football 2nd only to the QB on almost every team.

But there are lot of them that are similar in skill set and vast majority of those good enough to start in NFL can't play well without a good O line and vast majority of that set can play very well with a good O line.

An NFL caliber DL coach doesn't move needle all that much for DL play in either direction no matter his skill level.

A great OL coach on other hand adds a ton of plus value and the elite OL coaches are far better than the average or bad ones and make a giant difference to team play overall.

It was Alex Gibbs that made Shanahan look the offensive genius (originally).  Shanahan is no dummy and he learned from him from coaching together so long.

It was Dante Scarnecchia who kept making groups of average or bad players into good O lines for Brady (and getting them giant contracts else where).   

There was a reason Belichick would beg for him to not retire year after year and made him co-head coach.

You can keep saying it man bit I will keep saying I disagree...for ever Alex Gibbs there is a Chuck Noll...for ever Scarnecchia there is a Marinelli...it's ying & yang and both elevate their talent.

• Like 2

Greg Gabriel

@greggabe

·

1m

New Bears DLine coach Travis Smith assisted Rod Marinelli last year in Vegas. IMO Rod is the best in the business. Gotta figure Rod highly recommended Smith to Matt Eberflus. Others who have worked under Rod like Eric Washington have become great DL coaches

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You can keep saying it man bit I will keep saying I disagree...for ever Alex Gibbs there is a Chuck Noll...for ever Scarnecchia there is a Marinelli...it's ying & yang and both elevate their talent.

Okay.  I can't convince you.   I respect your opinion.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Daniel Greenberg

@ChiSportUpdates

·

49m

Joey Laine is no longer with the Chicago Bears. 

Laine was the Bears chief contract negotiator and was in charge of the club's salary cap.

Hmm.  We arent in a great cap situation but we haven't been in a bad one really have we? Seemed like he did a solid job since the worse signings weren't really his fault. 

Wonder who will be brought in. 

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Hmm.  We arent in a great cap situation but we haven't been in a bad one really have we? Seemed like he did a solid job since the worse signings weren't really his fault. 

Wonder who will be brought in. 

He was very much so a Pace guy...was pretty nailed on he would leave...Cliff Stein will probably go back to that position for the time being before we bring someone new in.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

He was very much so a Pace guy...was pretty nailed on he would leave...Cliff Stein will probably go back to that position for the time being before we bring someone new in.

I was just going to ask if we could get Cliff Stein back, much better cap manager than Joey Laine as well.

• Like 1