49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

So what’s everyone’s thought on re-signing Verrett at this point now that we signed CW?

I would be a fan of bringing him back, my only issue is the time it took him to come back from his last injury. It really took him two years to get back to 100%, but he arguably came back to pro-bowl form. Do we think he could come back to that level this year?

the last couple season we relied on him being one of our top 3 CB’s, but he would probably only be depended on to be CB4 if we brought him back.

i wouldn’t be against it if it was a cheap signing, just hope he can make it back to 100% faster than he did last injury

41 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

So what’s everyone’s thought on re-signing Verrett at this point now that we signed CW?

I would be a fan of bringing him back, my only issue is the time it took him to come back from his last injury. It really took him two years to get back to 100%, but he arguably came back to pro-bowl form. Do we think he could come back to that level this year?

the last couple season we relied on him being one of our top 3 CB’s, but he would probably only be depended on to be CB4 if we brought him back.

i wouldn’t be against it if it was a cheap signing, just hope he can make it back to 100% faster than he did last injury

I would be for having him back, also Demeco has been able to adjust very quickly.  I am all for giving him pieces to use.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I mean signing him to a one year deal worth around 4-5M would be a solid risk to take. He's not getting a big deal elsewhere or more than a one year deal with his injury history. You are pretty much playing with house money with him. Because if somehow he is healthy again like 2020? You like have THE best defense in the league. If he gets hurt like always? No problem, you still have Moseley, Ward and Thomas. 

I want Tartt and Verrett back on one year deals. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm over Verrett and us trying to coax production from players who have shown you their reliability is a huge ?

There are other veteran CBs out there...time to move on.

I respect this opinion as well. We can move on for good and go after someone more durable. To me though, Verrett on a one year deal isn't going to have much risk and the reward could be very sweet. Then again, even relying in the slightest on guys like Ford/Verrett is getting tiresome so I fully get where you are coming from. 

• Like 1

I bet JV is kicking himself for not taking the multi-year deal we offered him last year. He bet on himself on a 1 year deal and it blew up in his face. Maybe the multi-year deal we offered him had stipulations in it regarding playing time though, who knows. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean signing him to a one year deal worth around 4-5M would be a solid risk to take. He's not getting a big deal elsewhere or more than a one year deal with his injury history. You are pretty much playing with house money with him. Because if somehow he is healthy again like 2020? You like have THE best defense in the league. If he gets hurt like always? No problem, you still have Moseley, Ward and Thomas. 

We get a solid bookend to Bosa and a better SS, then I think we can be one of the best defenses. 

I have always liked Tartt, but we need more game changing plays from the position. He is stout, but he is far from a ballhawk/turnover machine

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

We get a solid bookend to Bosa and a better SS, then I think we can be one of the best defenses. 

I have always liked Tartt, but we need more game changing plays from the position. He is stout, but he is far from a ballhawk/turnover machine

Tartt is not a ballhawk but he's a damn good safety. Whenever he does not play, it is not a coincidence this defense starts to allow big plays over the top. When he is back there, those plays are mainly mitigated. 

I'm fine with signing Honey Badger as he is a playmaker and playing next to a top 3 cover safety in Ward would be a great duo. I have a feeling the team doesn't see SS being as big of a need as the fans. They probably trust Moore/Hufanga to fill in fine if Tartt does not return but not sure if that's the right way to go about it. We shall see. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Give me the guy who's sound, disciplined and has good chemistry with the FS and front seven. I get wanting more TOs and all but getting bunch of ints doesn't equate to being a better player and an overall better defender against both the pass and run. Tartt is equally stout at both. I'd rather take the known quantity in this instance, ijs.

12 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Give me the guy who's sound, disciplined and has good chemistry with the FS and front seven. I get wanting more TOs and all but getting bunch of ints doesn't equate to being a better player and an overall better defender against both the pass and run. Tartt is equally stout at both. I'd rather take the known quantity in this instance, ijs.

I can agree with this, but why can’t we have both a safety that gets TO’s and is a stout run/pass defender. I wouldnt  mind signing Tartt back, he’s a good safety, but I would bring in competition and make him compete. I guess I just want more out of the position, those players are out there, not many, but they are out there

Edited by P_locniners

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not giving him 4-5. I'll give him a vet min with the ability to get up to 4 - 5, but I'm not just handing over the 4-5M. 

• Like 1

I think we have had a pretty good free agency thus far. I am pleased with it overall minus the Garoppolo saga.

We havent done anything earth shattering, but honestly it feels like the market is a bit out of whack this year. A lot of teams are following the Rams' model of shifting cap hits into future years. That has caused a lot of imbalance imo.

I think ownership remembers being in salary cap hell in the late 90s and doesn't want us to fully commit to being hyper aggressive with regards to pushing cap hits into future years. We have yet to use all of our bullets for this reason, and its tough to see other teams be assertive to fill needs while we are just making seemingly incremental moves, but I think it is the prudent strategy at this time.

We didnt make a huge splash but it seems like each transaction provided pretty solid value. We have stayed true to our 5 year gameplan and have signed guys that fit what we do. 

Obviously, it appears that special teams are a big priority, and in general signing heady/aware special teamers who are in their mid 20s as great depth pieces to develop is a good strategy because you expect a certain competency level out of them.

Every signing outside of Ward seems to be high floor, solid ceiling types based on the expected value of their salary vs their production. All of them seem to be highly professional dudes who will fit in well with the locker room. All of them seem like they can be contributors on offense/defense outside of their already known special team roles.

It makes our active gameday roster more adaptable because we added 4 guys who are all going to be active for us on gamedays, even though we only added one (maybe 2?) starters. So they can be contributors without being starters (and without being paid as if they were top end starters, since starters tend to get overpaid in FA)

Every signing has a "we are paying you for what you will do for us and not for what you did from someone else" vibe to it. Ward is a great example of that, it is very reasonable to expect him to continue ascending as a player throughout his time here. 

There is still a lot of work to do, but I think most people that arent happy with how it has gone are missing the forest for the trees imo. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I think we have had a pretty good free agency thus far. I am pleased with it overall minus the Garoppolo saga.

We havent done anything earth shattering, but honestly it feels like the market is a bit out of whack this year. A lot of teams are following the Rams' model of shifting cap hits into future years. That has caused a lot of imbalance imo.

I think ownership remembers being in salary cap hell in the late 90s and doesn't want us to fully commit to being hyper aggressive with regards to pushing cap hits into future years. We have yet to use all of our bullets for this reason, and its tough to see other teams be assertive to fill needs while we are just making seemingly incremental moves, but I think it is the prudent strategy at this time.

We didnt make a huge splash but it seems like each transaction provided pretty solid value. We have stayed true to our 5 year gameplan and have signed guys that fit what we do. 

Obviously, it appears that special teams are a big priority, and in general signing heady/aware special teamers who are in their mid 20s as great depth pieces to develop is a good strategy because you expect a certain competency level out of them.

Every signing outside of Ward seems to be high floor, solid ceiling types based on the expected value of their salary vs their production. All of them seem to be highly professional dudes who will fit in well with the locker room. All of them seem like they can be contributors on offense/defense outside of their already known special team roles.

It makes our active gameday roster more adaptable because we added 4 guys who are all going to be active for us on gamedays, even though we only added one (maybe 2?) starters. So they can be contributors without being starters (and without being paid as if they were top end starters, since starters tend to get overpaid in FA)

Every signing has a "we are paying you for what you will do for us and not for what you did from someone else" vibe to it. Ward is a great example of that, it is very reasonable to expect him to continue ascending as a player throughout his time here. 

There is still a lot of work to do, but I think most people that arent happy with how it has gone are missing the forest for the trees imo. 

Well said…..the coverage of the 49ers is not great where i live so im wondering if you guys know why Jimmie Ward has not been extended yet?.