49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

On 4/7/2022 at 9:37 PM, 9erFreak77 said:

This is ridiculous…. He had one good year! Will he duplicate it I don’t know but one year of production doesn’t warrant a huge contract. Its kind of how felt with Jimmy G’s contract of doing nothing for it.

Meh, he's been very productive when he's been on the field ever since the latter part of the 2019 season. I bring up his production in terms of negotiations but in terms of impact, I'd argue he's been our most impactful offensive player not named Trent Williams. Better QB play, targets, and not having to share the middle of the field with Kittle in the passing game puts in him right with guys like Moore in terms of receiving production.

But like Kittle, have serious reservations about his week-to-week availability moving forward. Especially if we will continue to use him as an all-purpose type of offensive player. His off-season regimen has been documented as being much improved by those in the know, but he's been a oft-injured player since college. I would like to see one more solid year of availability and production personally. Then I could probably bring myself to understand resetting the market for him. Wouldn't necessarily like it but could totally understand his and his agent's stance in terms of compensation.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, he's been very productive when he's been on the field ever since the latter part of the 2019 season. I bring up his production in terms of negotiations but in terms of impact, I'd argue he's been our most impactful offensive player not named Trent Williams. Better QB play, targets, and not having to share the middle of the field with Kittle in the passing game puts in him right with guys like Moore in terms of receiving production.

But like Kittle, have serious reservations about his week-to-week availability moving forward. Especially if we will continue to use him as an all-purpose type of offensive player. His off-season regimen has been documented as being much improved by those in the know, but he's been a oft-injured player since college. I would like to see one more solid year of availability and production personally. Then I could probably bring myself to understand resetting the market for him. Wouldn't necessarily like it but could totally understand his and his agent's stance in terms of compensation.

I think Deebo deserves a deal, but I agree that he doesn't necessarily deserve to break the bank. But I'd offer him a lot more money than he's making. in 2022, he's supposed to make 4.8m. We could control him with the franchise tag after that. The tag for receivers in 2023 is projected to be 20m. Then, if he got tagged a second time, he'd make 24m. 5+20+24= 49 (just a coincidence). Offer him 55-60 for 3 years, nearly fully guaranteed? Then he's still just 29 years old, and if still healthy and productive, he'll get another big contract. Instead of holding for a larger contract now, for 5 or 6 years, and when he re-signs he's 32, considered past his prime, and only signs another 2-3 year deal. Take the 3 years now, and another 5 years later, when the WR market is even higher, and maximize the value.

• Like 2

MM saying we would listen to legit offers for Deebo. Considering this class, to me at Le east, seems weak at WR. I could see a team giving up a first and more for someone like Deebo. If it’s a top ten pick, wouldn’t be surprised if we go OT. And this FO isn’t opposed to making waves.

21 minutes ago, John232 said:

MM saying we would listen to legit offers for Deebo. Considering this class, to me at Le east, seems weak at WR. I could see a team giving up a first and more for someone like Deebo. If it’s a top ten pick, wouldn’t be surprised if we go OT. And this FO isn’t opposed to making waves.

This is what smart front offices do imo. They really should be open to it and kick the tires on anything that presents itself. I don't think anyone is going to give a godfather offer you can't turn down, but at least give them the chance to. 

I think ultimately we are going to re-sign him with like a 5% chance we trade him. If he's still a 49er at the time of the draft, I'd probably remove any chance that he gets moved this year and will re-sign. I see no way the 49ers are moving him for future capital that can't help us now in a year where we are going to try and win. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John232 said:

Any chance the Jets actually offer #4 overall? Im curious about what would it take for this front office to accept a trade offer.

Edited by 49erurtaza

5 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Any chance the Jets actually offer #4 overall? Im curious about what would it take for this front office to accept a trade offer.

If the Jets offered #4 straight up for Deebo, I think we run to the phone and make that trade, no questions asked. But that's a pipe dream imo. No GM in their right mind, in this day and age, would offer a Top 5 pick for a WR. Even as dynamic & multi-faceted as Deebo is. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John232 said:

MM was not reporting anything when he said that. He was just saying from what Shanny/Lynch have said in the past, they would listen to any legit offer for any player on the roster. 

Let's go ahead and trade our best offensive player with a young 22 year old QB taking over.

#Business101

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Let's go ahead and trade our best offensive player with a young 22 year old QB taking over.

Thats my issue with this entire conversation. Deebo is not replaceable, even if we get a high pick and one of these rookies WRs.  We've been waiting for an elite receiver on this team since TO, and while i love Aiyuk we cant rely on him at the #1 yet. 25M is fair for both sides, I see no reason not to just get it done...

1 minute ago, adamq said:

Thats my issue with this entire conversation. Deebo is not replaceable, even if we get a high pick and one of these rookies WRs.  We've been waiting for an elite receiver on this team since TO, and while i love Aiyuk we cant rely on him at the #1 yet. 25M is fair for both sides, I see no reason not to just get it done...

The thing is, a top 5 pick can be flipped into mutiple picks for this and the next draft so that could really be interesting. I love Deebo as much as the next fan but hypothetically speaking, if somebody were offering a Top 5, you have to rethink things. I don't think Deebo goes anywhere because no one's going to make that deal but if they did, it could be hard to turn down. Durability moving forward is still a big concern for him and you have to think a better, more explosive athlete@QB maybe lessen the need for Deebo to be used in the run game as much, which brings down his value a tad.

And I disagree Deebo is a #1 WR. He's an absolute playmaker with the ball in his hands but if we're talking strictly as a receiver, he's still has work to do. Every route isn't in his repitoire so has room for improvement on that and other aspects of his route runnning. 

But I fully expect Deebo to be a Niner for the foreseeable future. The extension will get done.

• Like 2

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Oh I do agree there, a top 5 pick is too much to ask for/expect, so that would change the equation for sure. For me though, I'd say no thanks to #10.

And perhaps I should have said "#1 weapon" instead of "#1 receiver".. of course we have Kittle but the OL has been so porous that we've seen Shanny keep him in even on key passing downs.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing is, a top 5 pick can be flipped into mutiple picks for this and the next draft so that could really be interesting. I love Deebo as much as the next fan but hypothetically speaking, if somebody were offering a Top 5, you have to rethink things. I don't think Deebo goes anywhere because no one's going to make that deal but if they did, it could be hard to turn down. Durability moving forward is still a big concern for him and you have to think a better, more explosive athlete@QB maybe lessen the need for Deebo to be used in the run game as much, which brings down his value a tad.

And I disagree Deebo is a #1 WR. He's an absolute playmaker with the ball in his hands but if we're talking strictly as a receiver, he's still has work to do. Every route isn't in his repitoire so has room for improvement on that and other aspects of his route runnning. 

But I fully expect Deebo to be a Niner for the foreseeable future. The extension will get done.

"Every route isn't in his repertoire" gets repeated a lot but it doesn't mean much. That's the same argument folks used to make against Moss when it was clear as day we were witnessing an ATG. Not saying Deebo is anywhere close to that level but he certainly produced like a #1 WR last season. If he repeats the same type of RECEIVING season as 2021, then he is a #1 WR period. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Its possible that last season Deebo isn't replaceable by keeping Deebo though lol

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Its possible that last season Deebo isn't replaceable by keeping Deebo though lol

If he's healthy then I don't see why not. Nearly all of our best players have had their fair share of injury problems, why not invest in one more!

2 hours ago, adamq said:

And back when Buckner left the same things would have been said about him. Is there a single guy that will take over all what we will lose with Deebo? I don't think so but we can get similar things from 2 or 3 guys that will be paid much less than that 25m a year. I love Deebo and for 20 i think its steep but i would be fine. Going to 25 i am out. Especially with Kyle scheming things up and Deebo's injury history and showing up out of shape in mind.

• Like 2

Buckner was a defensive player, not Kyle's guy. I don't think folks realize just how much Kyle loves Deebo and values him. He's not going to let him go. From Kittle to Juice to Trent, when it comes to offensive studs, Kyle will do everything in his power to keep them. 

And all this talk of Kyle scheming WRs open, no one has produced like Deebo. It's okay to admit that Deebo is just different from the rest. The offense will not be the exact same with Lance adding more of a deep threat to the offense opposed to Jimmy where YAC was more important....But YAC is still going to be a big part of this offense, especially with the receivers we have. 

If one wants to question Deebo's injury history, then that is totally fair. Stayed healthy in years 1 and 3, but was hurt in year 2 and in college....The same applies to Bosa though...Damn near the same thing. So are we also against paying him 30-31M per year? Should we look to trade him? 

• Like 2