49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Let me ask you all this....what's our ceiling next year??

I'm not expecting a SB. Hell, I'd be surprised if we were able to win a playoff game. But realistically, we a 21 year old, first time starter@QB and how that normally goes, what would define a successful year in your eyes?

There's no way to know because we do not know how good Trey Lance is. Lance could be a bust and this team is 5-12. Or he could Justin Herbert and if you put Herbert on this team, its certainly a super bowl contender. 

My expectation is that we are a playoff team because I think Shanny will put him in a position to succeed and the team around him is very good. Anything beyond that is left to the whims of randomness to an extent. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm not expecting a SB. Hell, I'd be surprised if we were able to win a playoff game. But realistically, we a 21 year old, first time starter@QB and how that normally goes, what would define a successful year in your eyes?

My expectations are the same as this year, a deep playoff run and being SB contenders. Until I see this roster not having as many as high caliber players as it has, why should my expectations change? Of course health will always be a factor but no one can predict that. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

Joe Judge is probably the biggest name special teams coordinator there is out there. I feel like maybe there is one more and I just can't remember who it is. 

For TE coach, that's pretty much whatever. Hard to gauge who is a good / bad positional coach most times, and thinking about who's just randomly on the market. I'd love for us to promote from within. Give Hankerson a shot at the job or something. 

Oh, the other is Rick Bisaccia (who has prior experience with Shanny back in tampa) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

And we could still technically lose Mack. I guess that's a real thing regarding his possible retirement. 

We can but I think he gives it a go for one more season.

But the OL can drastically look different next season. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My expectations are the same as this year, a deep playoff run and being SB contenders. Until I see this roster not having as many as high caliber players as it has, why should my expectations change? Of course health will always be a factor but no one can predict that. 

But you're talking about a first year starter@QB...the most important position on the field. 

And its not like Lance really set the world on fire in his three appearances of extended action this season.

I can't in good concise call us a SB contender w/o seeing Lance making a HUGE leap from his play this year. Just improving upon his rookie year and learning as he goes means there will be ALOT of bumps along the way. That says to me, middle-of-the-pack kind of team...even with our high caliber players surrounding him. 

Edited by 757-NINER

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Hard to say right now. If they sure up the OL and get a good corner to start opposite Mose? At least one playoff win. But as Forge said, who knows what Lance will look like 🤷‍♂️

It largely depends on how well the offseason goes and who we add and lose, but as of right now I think another 10-7 season with a Wild Card spot, without the expectation of making the NFC Championship or even making it into past the first round again, is fair enough. 

This team is fairly talented on both sides of the ball and was able to win 10 games with Jimmy, and we didn't trade three first rounders to downgrade. I don't expect Mahomes 2018 or Jackson 2019 obviously, but him playing substantially worse than Jimmy did this season would be a disappointment, especially since that would then only give us 2023 to decide on his fifth-year option and part of the reason we traded up for him was to try and win while he's still on his rookie contract.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

Just now, straighthate said:

Brought my kids to the pro bowl to see if they were old enough to waste a bunch of money on a real game. Oh boy, haven’t watched a pro bowl game in at least a decade. They aren’t even attempting to tackle. It’s two hand touch. Ha, this is rough. 

I've said for years, they should just make the Pro Bowl a flag football game. Players would still compete but w/o the worry or risk of accidentally banging into another guy or injuring someone trying to make a half-hearted tackle. And I think it would appeal to the average fan to watch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I've said for years, they should just make the Pro Bowl a flag football game. Players would still compete but w/o the worry or risk of accidentally banging into another guy or injuring someone trying to make a half-hearted tackle. And I think it would appeal to the average fan to watch.

Agreed. First play of the game there was a soft tackle and they all kind of looked around like wtf. Then since then they just blow the whistle if the player’s touched. 

BTW Kittle’s limping pretty noticeably. I think he just gets so beat up during the season. Nothing injured, just hurts everywhere. Or could be hurting after a night at the strip clubs. Who knows. 

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I’m expecting to compete for a WC spot. 9-11 wins is what I think we can realistically hope for. Any more and we’ve hit the jackpot on Lance and any less means we’ve underachieved, IMO.

If we go 8-9, but Lance shows some serious ability, I’ll take it. 

• Like 1

I don’t know why we wouldn’t expect to go to the playoffs. Trey will have had a full season and off-season to learn our offense and from all reports has been making major strides and has a great work ethic. I would not be shocked to see us hit the ground running next year and make another run. Our schedule with Brady retiring doesn’t look too daunting in its current state either. 

Home
NFC West, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Commanders

Away
NFC West, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Las Vegas Raiders

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don’t know why we wouldn’t expect to go to the playoffs. Trey will have had a full season and off-season to learn our offense and from all reports has been making major strides and has a great work ethic. I would not be shocked to see us hit the ground running next year and make another run. Our schedule with Brady retiring doesn’t look too daunting in its current state either. 

Home
NFC West, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Commanders

Away
NFC West, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Las Vegas Raiders

Chiefs L
Chargers L
Dolphins W
Saints W
Bucs W
Commanders W
Falcons W
Panthers W
Bears W
Broncos L (I think they'll get Rodgers)
Raiders L

Then add maybe a 2-4 division record again and that's 9-8.

Edited by jonnguy2015

Just now, GW21 said:

I don’t know why we wouldn’t expect to go to the playoffs. Trey will have had a full season and off-season to learn our offense and from all reports has been making major strides and has a great work ethic. I would not be shocked to see us hit the ground running next year and make another run. Our schedule with Brady retiring doesn’t look to daunting in its current state either. 

Home

Away

Because we don't know just how much improvement he will make.

I get that Lance is extremely smart and a hard worker. But its more to playing the position at a high-level than possessing those traits. The position is way more nuanced than that I don't think enough ppl are taking that into account.

There's no doubt the offense will be different and dare I say, more explosive with Lance at the helm. But his play from the pocket needs work. And that takes time and reps. 

I expect the first 10 games to really be a baptism under fire for Lance. No telling where I record sits after those 10. But I suspect the game starts to slow down for him right around that Week 12 and he begins to ascend (hopefully) if  he stays healthy. 

• Like 1