49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Oh interesting thing don't be surprised if Bobby Turner is out for this season. Medical stuff. Anthony Lynn hire to handle RB duties. 

That's a shame about Turner. Hopefully everything works out. I always wanted to bring back Rathamn at some point but his retirement kinda put a ending to that. 

• Like 1

Looks like Pep is getting the OC gig in Houston if Lovie Smith is hired and the Jags are interested in him for their OC gig as well. He would be able to call plays on both those two teams so that takes us out of the race… If we were even interested in him. 

Since Kyle had Beck as a player and then sent Lance/Fields to work out with him in the offseason, why won't he just hire him as the QBs coach? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like Pep is getting the OC gig in Houston if Lovie Smith is hired and the Jags are interested in him for their OC gig as well. He would be able to call plays on both those two teams so that takes us out of the race… If we were even interested in him. 

Since Kyle had Beck as a player and then sent Lance/Fields to work out with him in the offseason, why won't he just hire him as the QBs coach? 

I thought the Jets hired him to work with Wilson. First as a consultant and then full time on the staff. Not sure if that was a multi year deal though

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, we still have scangarello, right?

But honestly, wouldn't be at all shocked if Beck makes more money and has more time doing what he's doing. 

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

I thought the Jets hired him to work with Wilson. First as a consultant and then full time on the staff. Not sure if that was a multi year deal though

Oh, you're right. Didn't even realize that. 

58 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That's a shame about Turner. Hopefully everything works out. I always wanted to bring back Rathamn at some point but his retirement kinda put a ending to that. 

Sorry, what’s this about Bobby Turner? Did I miss something?

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kyle is great so he's going to be fine but like we just don't know how smooth this will go, especially in year one. All the players swear by Mike and credit him for a lot of the success of the run game. 

Now let's see which coaches he takes with him. 

Kyle and Bobby Turner there will be the closest we can get to having Alex Gibbs still alive helping a squad somewhere. The running game should be fine. Not concerned at all. 

Great for McDaniel though. Too bad the Dolphins seems like a pitfall of disfunction though. 

EDIT: Just saw the Bobby Turner news. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Oh interesting thing don't be surprised if Bobby Turner is out for this season. Medical stuff. Anthony Lynn hire to handle RB duties. 

Ahhh. Just saw this. That's a shame if true, and personally would be a huge blow to the staff. Hopefully he gets better in regards to what he's going through. 

The Lynn hire will be helpful though. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Well, we still have scangarello, right?

But honestly, wouldn't be at all shocked if Beck makes more money and has more time doing what he's doing. 

Speaking of Beck, from my understanding he worked training QBs with Tom House. Kyle sent Jimmy to Tom House a few seasons back. My guess the South California QB training Lance went to is with Tom House the throwing motion guru. 

Just went on a YouTube bender searching on Tom House. This is great video Tom House on throwing motion. He talks about when he became a college coach. He signed his contract to be a pitching coach for 5 months and a researcher on pitching/motion for the other 5 months. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

18 hours ago, Forge said:

The more I've really thought about, the more I'm giving real consideration to the idea that Laken won't be back. It's a lot of money, and the original idea was that Jaylon Moore would be a guard. I could easily see them put Banks back at his natural LG position and then let Moore / Brunskill fight  it out at RG. Could even throw a guy like Compton into that mix or another buy low free agent. 

I honestly think that became the plan, at some point. I don't know if a beat reporter could see if Banks was training more at LG than RG, or if those things are not in the part of practice they are allowed to see. But once it seemed clear that he wouldn't be a factor at RG this year, he was told to focus on LG exclusively. In case of injuries, he might be far down the depth chart at RG, behind guys like Moore, McKivitz and maybe even Brendel. And perhaps, that's the same reason Moore wasn't activated anymore past midway through the year. He wasn't going to be given too many RT reps, so he was asked to focus at RG. Even though Moore has arguably looked better than McKivitz at LT. But judging they could get by with McKivitz as a T back-up, they decided to fast track Moore's development at RG. 

I truly think last year's class was, by design, meant to be a redshirt class. Now, Mitchell took over the job, but he's mostly the exception. Hufanga wasn't supposed to be a defensive player, but more a special teams player, but in both cases, injuries forced them into the line-up, and their talent kept them on. I think Trey was drafted to replace Jimmy in 2022. Banks was drafted to replace Laken in 2022. Thomas was drafted to replace a corner in 2022. Sermon was drafted to replace Jeff Wilson. Moore to replace a guard or be a back-up. Lenoir was drafted to replace K'Waun. I guess Hufanga was drafted with Tartt being a free agent in mind, but I still think he was a primary special teamer. And Elijah was drafted to replace Mostert. I don't think it was a coincidence we only drafted players at positions where we had upcoming free agents (except Trey). I don't like the idea of redshirting a player and hope he pans out a year later. Let's hope it works out.

But I think Laken has been so consistent and become a big part of that locker room, it would be tough to let him go. If he does go, what are the odds he follows Mayhew again? 

I think that this year in camp, we'll see a lot of the 2021 draft class fighting for starting spots. I mean, usually, you expect a couple of starters from a draft class. But I feel like they're going to give everyone of those guys a chance to earn a spot. And I hope they don't do that too often. Drafting for needs a year ahead of time? Looks like a recipe for disaster.

• Like 3