49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

Just now, Forge said:

Yep. 

I was really hoping for the Alex Smith trade and was willing to settle on one second if it came down to it. 

But perhaps teams have finally smartened up with regards to these type of quarterbacks. I may downgrade my expectations to something like a 4th this year and a conditional pick next year. 

Agreed. Man this sucks but as long as Jimmy is moved for something i'll take it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Yep. 

I was really hoping for the Alex Smith trade and was willing to settle on one second if it came down to it. 

But perhaps teams have finally smartened up with regards to these type of quarterbacks. I may downgrade my expectations to something like a 4th this year and a conditional pick next year. 

I just dont understand how ppl could believe that somebody would give up a 2nd and another pick for Jimmy. I mean other GM's have eyes too. He is a flawed QB. He can win you some games. But you will scratch your eyes out in process. His winning percentage with Shanny aside, he just doesn't pass the eye test most of the time. Nobody's giving up more than a conditional 3rd, if that for a QB we're basically ushering out the door. He's the epitome of doing enough to look comptent. I honestly feel sorry for any GM or franchise who thinks he's good enough to make them competive. He won't have our run game, defense or Shanny's playcalling to help prop him up when he's stinking up the joint for a whole quarter or a half. Our O-Line didn't do him any favors half the time but it was mostly just Jimmy being Jimmy. I was thinking maybe we'd get a 3rd for him after the regular season win against the Rams. But he played so bad during the playoffs, I can't see anyone willing to go higher than a 4th imo. 

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just dont understand how ppl could believe that somebody would give up a 2nd and another pick for Jimmy. I mean other GM's have eyes too. He is a flawed QB. He can win you some games. But you will scratch your eyes out in process. His winning percentage with Shanny aside, he just doesn't pass the eye test most of the time. Nobody's giving up more than a conditional 3rd, if that for a QB we're basically ushering out the door. He's the epitome of doing enough to look comptent. I honestly feel sorry for any GM or franchise who thinks he's good enough to make them competive. He won't have our run game, defense or Shanny's playcalling to help prop him up when he's stinking up the joint for a whole quarter or a half. Our O-Line didn't do him any favors half the time but it was mostly just Jimmy being Jimmy. I was thinking maybe we'd get a 3rd for him after the regular season win against the Rams. But he played so bad during the playoffs, I can't see anyone willing to go higher than a 4th imo. 

You realize someone willingly gave up a first round pick + a third round pick for Carson Wentz with over 40 million guaranteed left on his deal coming off a season where he was arguably the worst QB in football? 

Teams do this all the time. I mean, Denver gave up a 4th for the corpse of Joe Flacco like 3 years ago. 

I'm not sure that expecting ownership and nfl GMs to be the most conservative bunch when it comes to a competent quarterback has a baseline in reality. 

There are for more examples of trades of them being stupid than there are of them being intelligent about it. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

You realize someone willingly gave up a first round pick + a third round pick for Carson Wentz with over 40 million guaranteed left on his deal coming off a season where he was arguably the worst QB in football? 

Teams do this all the time. I mean, Denver gave up a 4th for the corpse of Joe Flacco like 3 years ago. 

I'm not sure that expecting ownership and nfl GMs to be the most conservative bunch when it comes to a competent quarterback has a baseline in reality. 

There are for more examples of trades of them being stupid than there are of them being intelligent about it. 

Yeah. And desperation is a real, real thing. If you don’t have a semblance of a QB, your job is perpetually in danger. I’m right with you that rationally people shouldn’t spend assets on Jimmy -  I mean you can get slightly lesser versions of him for serious bargains while giving away no assets. But Jimmy provides gloss and cover for the stupid. Until the stupid fully wise up. May it never happen - or at least not until Jimmy moves on. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not only that, but the value of a competent QB is going to be higher than damn near most 2nd round picks. Go check the 2nd round picks from the last few years and tell me how many of those players will have or have had more value than someone like Jimmy? QBs will always be overvalued in a sense but it's also for good reason. 

Only thing that hurts us is getting Trey Lance and the entire league knowing we are moving on from Jimmy and need to get his contract off the books before free agency starts up. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

Not that it really matters but Sam Bradford was traded for a 1st and a conditional 4th a year after posting a 19-14 TD/INT. Granted this was kind of a desperation move with Teddy Bridgewater nuking his knee, but crazier things have happened. 

He also got traded along with a 5th for Nick Foles, a 4th, and a future 2nd. 

13 hours ago, Forge said:

The timing really works against the 49ers. Jimmy has to be gone by the start of the league year if we want to have money to re-sign / sign free agents. Other teams know this and other teams that currently have incumbent starters they may be willing to move (such as Cousins / Ryan), really don't have to be moved until the draft, which gives them nearly 2 more months to just drag their heels. 

Wouldn't be shocked if the niners eat trade value

Take what we can get and move on already.

Throw the keys to Trey let's see what he can do.

My bet is Rodgers, Wilson , Ryan and Cousins all stay where they are. If Watson can get past his legal issues he will be top of teams list's and then Jimmy or Wentz.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/possible-replacements-for-troy-aikman-at-fox-include-sean-mcvay-sean-payton-drew-brees-john-lynch/

Andrew Marchand of the New York Post has a list of potential candidates to replace Aikman. They include an internal candidate — current No. 2 Fox analyst Greg Olsen — and several folks who currently don’t work for Fox.

Marchand lists Rams coach Sean McVay, former Saints coach Sean Payton, former Saints quarterback (and current NBC analyst) Drew Brees, and former Fox broadcast (and current 49ers G.M.) John Lynch as potential Aikman replacements.

Lynch, coincidentally, was asked several week ago about the possibility that he’d return to TV.

“From time to time, opportunities are presented,” Lynch said, via Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News. “I can tell you and everyone that my commitment right now is to this organization. We’re just coming off a season. My commitment is to the 49ers, the York family, to Kyle [Shanahan].”

The key words are “right now.” As in “right now, no one is offering me three times what I’m currently making with the 49ers to call games on TV again.”

Always found it interesting that Lynch said his commitment to the Niners was "right now"

I doubt Lynch goes back this season. But like McVay, i think he's going to broadcasting sooner rather than later. Especially if we win a SB. 

If Lynch leaves, i guess Peters gets promoted to GM?

Edited by 49ersfan

My agenda I've been pushing for years is finally coming to fruition!!! Demeco, why oh why did you not put #1 on Kupp on those key 3rd downs like you did in the first meeting?????

If he could just get a few more INTs, he would be on everyone's top 5 list. But he doesn't do that so folks just continue underrating him. Every single season this pass defense is among the best in the league and all we hear is how weak the corners are. Well, if they are so weak, how is this pass defense so good? Mainly because of #1, #54 and #3. Will never forget how bad the pass defense was when Tartt got hurt in 2019. We went from historic level great to below average right away lol.

• Like 2