Kyle Shanahan and the 10 pt curse

Manny/Patrick

He just got too conservative. What's strange is he's gone for it on 4th before in the Rams 6 game winning streak with great success. Earlier this year and I think last year there was one to Kittle that was huge. Not going for it on 4th and 2 was such a bad decision. As a Rams fan I was begging him to punt. 

It's almost like an over correction from the SB. 

10 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

He just got too conservative. What's strange is he's gone for it on 4th before in the Rams 6 game winning streak with great success. Earlier this year and I think last year there was one to Kittle that was huge. Not going for it on 4th and 2 was such a bad decision. As a Rams fan I was begging him to punt. 

The only consistency is his offenses just stall out in big moments.

The Niners defense is better than their offense. I said pretty much this same thing when the Rams went run/run/run and punted back to the Niners in week 18.

If you are the Chiefs or the Bills - and you've invested 40 mil into a QB and have elite weapons - they ABSOLUTELY should go for that 4th and 2.

But if you're the Niners, and you have Bosa, Armstrong, Warner, Ward and all those guys - your defense has A LOT more talent than your offense - it makes sense to be conservative.

It wasn't faith in Ryans or Saleh - it was faith in the draft and financial investments made to that side of the ball. Who is better at their job? Bosa or Shanahan? The Niners defense should catch flack for that game. They couldn't stop the Rams in that 4th quarter.

What makes it all even funnier is that the same people who BASH Jimmy G relentlessly are the ones telling Shanahan to put the ball in his hands on a 4th and 2 that if (when) they don't convert, puts the Rams close to FG range.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

To be fair, he tended to go for it in that past when they were owning the LOS and running over us. The Rams owned the LOS yesterday and were shutting the SF running game down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

To be fair, he tended to go for it in that past when they were owning the LOS and running over us. The Rams owned the LOS yesterday and were shutting the SF running game down.

That's true. But the 4th down conversions that come to mind were converted over the air. And at 4th and a long 2, I'd think that ball has to be passed even if they were having a bit more success on the ground.

The more concerning thing for me as a Rams fan is McVay saying he would have punted there too. I don't know if he didn't want to pile on Shanahan or if that is true. Both are believable given his conservative nature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

The Niners defense is better than their offense. I said pretty much this same thing when the Rams went run/run/run and punted back to the Niners in week 18.

Depends on what you are going by. The 49ers offense lead the league in yards per play

The defense has Bosa, Armstead, Warner. 

THe offense has Deebo, Kittle, Trent Williams. 

13 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

It's funny because in the first game it was the exact same scenario against the Rams for that 4th and 6. It was 4th and 6 from the 40. They went for it, scored the TD, iced the game. This time on 4th and 6 from the 40 they punted, gave up points, lost. Then they also kicked on 4th and 2 from the 45. 

He also went for it like 5 times on 4th down in the first game against Arizona. 

But again, just a complete turtle up in the playoffs. Truly bizarre. I have to imagine it's a QB thing. Like, this has to be a decided lack of faith in Jimmy. I want to see him with Lance the next two years and see if this continues. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's funny because in the first game it was the exact same scenario against the Rams for that 4th and 6. It was 4th and 6 from the 40. They went for it, scored the TD, iced the game. This time on 4th and 6 from the 40 they punted, gave up points, lost. Then they also kicked on 4th and 2 from the 45. 

But again, just a complete turtle up in the playoffs. Truly bizarre. I have to imagine it's a QB thing. Like, this has to be a decided lack of faith in Jimmy. I want to see him with Lance the next two years and see if this continues. 

I feel like a quarter of our 4th down attempts all season came with Lance under center 

Lance only played 2.5 games...

1 hour ago, Forge said:

vrabel does the exact same thing. it's ridiculous. he's perfectly aggressive through the regular season then curls up into a ball come playoff time. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Depends on what you are going by. The 49ers offense lead the league in yards per play

The defense has Bosa, Armstead, Warner. 

THe offense has Deebo, Kittle, Trent Williams. 

That's pretty much all the offense has though.

Ward and Tartt are one of the better safety combos in the league. Williams is a good CB. Greenlaw good. The other LB whose name escapes me played really well this year. DJ Jones is good.

I also favor that defensive trio over the offensive trio.

7 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

That's pretty much all the offense has though.

Aiyuk is pretty good. Tomlinson and Mack are in the pro bowl at Center and Guard. Juice is widely considered the best FB in the game. How much is the team supposed to have on offense? lol 

I mean, you're talking about 2 yards. 

Worst thing that happens is that the Rams score (they did anyway) and you get the ball back with plenty of time to finish the game out on offense. 

An offense that was better in dvoa than the defense was. That was better in yards per play. 

You need to be able to trust this offense to get 2 yards. YOu can't have that many players on offense and be worried about not getting two yards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Aiyuk is pretty good. Tomlinson and Mack are in the pro bowl at Center and Guard. Juice is widely considered the best FB in the game. How much is the team supposed to have on offense? lol 

I mean, you're talking about 2 yards. 

Worst thing that happens is that the Rams score (they did anyway) and you get the ball back with plenty of time to finish the game out on offense. 

An offense that was better in dvoa than the defense was. That was better in yards per play. 

You need to be able to trust this offense to get 2 yards. YOu can't have that many players on offense and be worried about not getting two yards. 

That's fair.

I'm just saying, it's a bit ironic that the same people who want to run Jimmy out of SF are the same ones that wanted the Niners to go for that.

And there's no way they run the ball there, so the ball definitely would have been in Jimmy's hands.

• Like 1

I mean, the real 10 curse with Shanny is the guy wearing that #10 jersey.

But yes, Shanny's conservative game management on 4th down is the double whammy.   SF fans can only hope Trey Lance is legit (I think it's VERY possible), so that having a really good to great QB lets Shanny come out of his shell when it's 4th and short (or 4th down in enemy territory in the 40-45 yd line).