Let's stop crowning QBs "for the next 10-15 years"

notthatbluestuff

5 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Burrow hasn't really done much to bring his team to victory during these playoffs

I wouldn't go that far but I do wonder how different the conversation around him would be if he were a 4th-round pick. 

I'll be killed for making this comparison but let's not forget that 3 years ago, Jared Goff was talked about in much the same way as Burrow is now. He had a great season in 2018 and people were excited about him fulfilling his potential as a former #1 pick. All the talk was about how he and McVay were going to be the next great QB-coach tandem. People will claim that wasn't the case but it absolutely was. Michael Silver even wrote a column before the Super Bowl talking about the unparalleled coolness of the California kid. That Super Bowl changed everything. It just goes to show how much public perception and narratives in the NFL can be dramatically altered in just a few years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I wouldn't go that far but I do wonder how different the conversation around him would be if he were a 4th-round pick. 

I'll be killed for making this comparison but let's not forget that 3 years ago, Jared Goff was talked about in much the same way as Burrow is now. He had a great season in 2018 and people were excited about him fulfilling his potential as a former #1 pick. All the talk was about how he and McVay were going to be the next great QB-coach tandem. People will claim that wasn't the case but it absolutely was. Michael Silver even wrote a column before the Super Bowl talking about the unparalleled coolness of the California kid. That Super Bowl changed everything. It just goes to show how much public perception and narratives in the NFL can be dramatically altered in just a few years. 

Premise isn’t wrong but not the best of comparisons. Can’t really make it without drawing a parallel between Sean McVay and Zac Taylor.

But yeah, landscape changes year to year. It is what it is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Premise isn’t wrong but not the best of comparisons. Can’t really make it without drawing a parallel between Sean McVay and Zac Taylor.

Agreed, Burrow is miles better than Goff off his rookie season alone. Mcvay made Goff. But that last part was put nicely! Many said the same about Luck and RG3.. I just never seen a rookie/young QB have this much poise is all. 

17 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I'm not trying to suggest that Burrow will end up like Goff - I think Burrow is significantly better. I'm just pointing out how things change so quickly. Goff was a golden boy just 3 years ago even if he obviously owed a lot to McVay. So how can we possibly make these prognostications about how certain QBs are going to rule the league for 10-15 years? 

The biggest problem will be expectations.

It's not going to matter how talented you are, winning that many SBs and playoff games is nearly impossible. 

There was a thread after Mahomes won the SB 2 years ago that he would win at least 8 Super Bowls in his career which just shows the problem going forward. There were people expecting at least 3 of the next 5 SBs for the Chiefs after they won in 2019.

If an utterly insane QB like Mahomes wins 3 SBs it will be seen as a major disappointment. Even though it would be an amazing accomplishment.

A lot of QBs will be ridiculed going forward. 

The expectations are ruined for years to come. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I'm not trying to suggest that Burrow will end up like Goff - I think Burrow is significantly better. I'm just pointing out how things change so quickly. Goff was a golden boy just 3 years ago even if he obviously owed a lot to McVay. So how can we possibly make these prognostications about how certain QBs are going to rule the league for 10-15 years? 

I mean, in all fairness, claims about dominating the league for any extended period were just about always overstatements. What does that even mean? Peyton and Rodgers only won a few between 30+ years of QBing. Brady certainly dominated from a winning perspective, but he was seldom the absolute #1 QB in the league in his 20+ year career. 

If someone just means that this guy’s going to be around for 10-15 years, put up numbers, and have some playoff success here and there, I can get with it under the right circumstances. Feel pretty good about saying that in regards to Mahomes.

• Like 1

The difficult part about the NFL right now is to figure out which QBs are here to stay for the next decade, which are a flash in the pan and how many (if any) QBs come in the next few years into the league and are even better than them. 

Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow and Allen should be here to stay for the next decade but it's very possible that in the next 3-5 years the next big thing enters the league and overshadows them all.

17 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Nobody outside of Rams fans thought Goff had any chance at being elite. It was obvious McVay and Gurley deserved a huge amount of credit for his early success. Joe Burrow is elite already.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I wouldn't go that far but I do wonder how different the conversation around him would be if he were a 4th-round pick

Hed be treated like Dak or Brady were. Everything would be the product of the team around him. People didnt give Brady credit until he won his 3rd superbowl.

• Like 2

As predicted, everyone is going to deny that they ever thought Goff was any good. Let's take a trip back in time to 2018, shall we? 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/14385-how-good-is-jared-goff/

Some highlights from the first page alone (I'll leave usernames out, I'm not interested in calling anyone out): 

With a very subjective eye test - he's arguably one of the most accurate QBs I've ever seen in my time. The guy could hit the coin toss mid-flight from 35 yards out (could probably hit heads or tails if you asked him). 

He places the ball in an incredible spot just about every time I've seen him make a throw. Receivers don't have to adjust or break stride, defenders are usually grasping at air as his guy comes up with the catch. Scheme gets his guys open, but he's not missing anyone regardless of scheme or coverage.

I'd imagine this is what it would look like if Tattooine had an NFL team and ol' Ben Kenobi played QB. I wasn't high on Goff even last season and flat out didn't like him going #1, but he has proven me very wrong. 

I've seen him make some HOF level throws.  He isn't perfect, but neither is anyone else.

Theres no doubt in my mind at this point Goff and Mahomes will be the next generation of elite, HOF guys.  And they'll likely shatter all the bulk records since defense is no longer existent.

People please watch the All-22 Madden view before saying he’s a product of the system.   At least 4-5x a game he shows amazing anticipation and placement.   It’s nuts.  

He can be rattled with sustained pressure,  that’s how you beat him.  But that’s also true of guys like Brady.   He has functional mobility to extend plays in the pocket but he doesn’t create magic like Mahomes or ARod or Wilson can.   But he also shows anticipation and placement few others can match.  

Definitely don’t see him as a system byproduct.   

Only Rams fans, eh? We as football fans get WAY too excited about QBs these days. I'm not saying Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar, Allen, Herbert, or anyone else CAN'T be great over the next 15 years - I'm just saying let's cool it on the "they'll dominate for the next decade-plus" talk. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Goff at his very best had me think "Maybe he can be a solid QB".  Never did I see him as even a top 10 guy.

See I think this is kinda hard to believe. Specially after what he did to the Chiefs and Vikings. Insanely accurate, great off play action and Wouldn’t turn the ball over(at the time). Gurley really did masked his inability to carry a O. But against the Saints he did exactly that. Brees and Sean aka Bounty Gate Gangsters were undefeated in the post season at home!! 

I REPEAT UNDEFEATED. You simply don’t do that and that was NO best team ever assembled. That team craps on there SB team. I REPEAT RED ALERT RED ALERT NO ONE GOES INTO THE SWAMP RIVER AND COMES OUT CHAMPION BROTHER!! 

once the rams did that! NO lost every got damm home playoff game

after that. Rams Essentially ruined the Saints 4 years ago… 

@Fray32 your takes brother. @Dome need some hot sauce too brother.