What now?

bucstopshere

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

But Palmer was good once. Really good. The same isn't true of Wentz.

Didn't you just say you didn't wanna trade for average QBs?

I'm just pointing out what could happen.  Do you believe a 70 yr BA coming off a 13 win season with shall we say rather lukewarm praise of Trask and Gabbert at the end of the season is standing pat?   Licht's presser wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of either guy.  I like not talking about draft prospects before Thanksgiving.  I want that to continue.

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

I'm just pointing out what could happen.  Do you believe a 70 yr BA coming off a 13 win season with shall we say rather lukewarm praise of Trask and Gabbert at the end of the season is standing pat?   Licht's presser wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of either guy.  I like not talking about draft prospects before Thanksgiving.  I want that to continue.

I don't think Wentz is the guy to do that. I could be wrong. But his track record isn't good.

Just like I don't think Jimmy G is the answer. Or Teddy.

Lotta middling to poor QBs are gonna be available. If they're that much of an upgrade over Trask, why did we waste the pick?

We got lucky that Tom ******* Brady was a free agent and his first choice turned him down. Can't just expect those kinds of results again because we acquire a veteran QB. Especially with a worse roster.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't think Wentz is the guy to do that. I could be wrong. But his track record isn't good.

Just like I don't think Jimmy G is the answer. Or Teddy.

Lotta middling to poor QBs are gonna be available. If they're that much of an upgrade over Trask, why did we waste the pick?

We got lucky that Tom ******* Brady was a free agent and his first choice turned him down. Can't just expect those kinds of results again because we acquire a veteran QB. Especially with a worse roster.

Well, when they drafted Trask a year ago.  Maybe they evaluate who is now available against Trask and see something better.  I really don't know.  At this point, I would not be shocked after BA and Licht's comments so far this offseason if there is a surprise.   Look I thought Cole McDonald had a chance to be a decent QB.  Yeah, that didn't work out so well.  😂😂😂

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

Well, when they drafted Trask a year ago.  Maybe they evaluate who is now available against Trask and see something better.  I really don't know.  At this point, I would not be shocked after BA and Licht's comments so far this offseason if there is a surprise.   Look I thought Cole McDonald had a chance to be a decent QB.  Yeah, that didn't work out so well.  😂😂😂

I mean. BA is a stubborn jackass. He's far too set in his ways to change. I'd guess the only changes he's really made to his offense over the years were what Brady made. And that's only because you can't tell the GOAT, "No." lol

He's got that Gruden mentality where he thinks he needs a veteran to run his offense. And it's basically true. I fully expect us to find a vet of some kind. But it seems optimistic that one of the second/third tier QBs can come in and win us a Super Bowl. Not when cap space is tight and we're gonna lose a lot of starters.

We went all in without completely ******* ourselves. But we can't do it again with a QB incomparable to Brady without looking like a much lesser Rams team. That window is closed. Gotta restock, keep who we can without sacrificing the future, and accept that QB might be an issue this year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

This is actually an interesting point by Clayton in relation to the locker room.  If true, would narrow the list of potential starting QBs.  Maybe a QB who is available and fans think can not be a fit in this offense would be held in higher regard by BA and Licht.  🤔

I don't buy into it. These core guys have tasted ultimate success now, completely different than before TB12. 

There was always going to be a step back in the QB when TB12 retired. I mean he was still at the top of his game and the league. Unless we were swapping in ARod, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow, every other QB option would be step back...

20 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't buy into it. These core guys have tasted ultimate success now, completely different than before TB12. 

There was always going to be a step back in the QB when TB12 retired. I mean he was still at the top of his game and the league. Unless we were swapping in ARod, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow, every other QB option would be step back...

The team now knows it is a playoff worthy roster.  To go unknown or cheap could be dangerous to team moral is the premise.  The offense is going to produce.  I believe it is a fallacy even getting the wrong QB (potentially Trask or Gabbert) is going to lead to a top 5 pick next season.  They would have to go down to a 4 win team.   I don t think that is possible.  Why?  Because of the rest of the roster and coaching staff.  Jameis threw 33 TDs even without Godwin and Evans the last 2 games.  The coaching staff will get at least avg. production from the QB at a bare minimum.  It s possible to add to the roster thru the draft, FA, or just guys improving which would make the overall team better then this yr.  So be wary of gambling at the QB position with scrap heap or hope.  

As a fan, I would gamble on Trask.  However, I'm not the HC who is 70 and a lot of say in the organization.  They'll let him get his QB.  Wilson doesn't fit.  ARod great talent, but let's be honest I think he would want nothing to do to replace Brady with the same roster.  Still a few on the list after that.

5 hours ago, ravishingone said:
This is actually an interesting point by Clayton in relation to the locker room.  If true, would narrow the list of potential starting QBs.  Maybe a QB who is available and fans think can not be a fit in this offense would be held in higher regard by BA and Licht🤔

More and more I think it's ultimately going to be Garoppolo. Not a true fit for Arians' scheme due to lack of pure arm talent, but by all accounts in SF, is a great guy in the locker room who players love to play for/with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Good insight and the best approach cap wise to get as many of the FAs re signed.

What would be the point of starting Gabbert? He's not going to bring us to the playoffs, much less a Super Bowl. His ceiling would be 7-10 and a wasted year for the franchise. Might as well give Trask a shot at that point, even if he fails and goes 5-12 or worse we get a top 5 draft pick and have a shot at a real franchise QB. 

19 minutes ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

What would be the point of starting Gabbert? He's not going to bring us to the playoffs, much less a Super Bowl. His ceiling would be 7-10 and a wasted year for the franchise. Might as well give Trask a shot at that point, even if he fails and goes 5-12 or worse we get a top 5 draft pick and have a shot at a real franchise QB. 

Couldn't have said it better myself 

The Gabbert question is who else can you bring off the scrap heap, pay more and get better production for the amount the new QB is being paid.  Ultimately, we all hope Trask beats out Gabbert.  Jimmy G is available in a trade.  So they trade for him, and pay him a whole lot more then Gabbert.  Are they better at QB? Yes.  As a team, are they strong enough to win a SB? At best debatable.   An absolute truth is spending as little as possible at QB gets more guys re signed.  

Quite a juggling act this offseason.  

Edited by ravishingone