Where does Sean Payton rank all time?

biggie.

Now that he's not actively coaching, where would you rank Payton all time?

Made the right call picking Brees over Culpepper.

Completely turned around the Saints. Went from being one of the league's laughingstocks to regular playoff contenders.

Universally considered a top five coach during his entire tenure.

Hard to say, he's a great head coach but not without his flaws.  Saints have had a top 5 scoring offense 9 times since 2006, but the defensive statistics are just as bad as the offense was good.  The defenses were bad enough to impact the success of the team to the point it should be a strike against him in all time rankings.

He has a lot of bad playoff losses. People forget they were the favorites against Tampa in 2020 and they choked. Going 7-9 3 straight seasons with Drew brees isn’t a good look either 

Id  say top 20 is fair. Putting the Saints on the map as champions was no small feat 

Edited by CP3MVP

Probably low end top 20 or top 25. He's 21st overall in career wins, 23rd in win percentage. Only one superbowl win, but only 13 guys have multiple (25 if we count pre-superbowl championships, but not all of those guys are that noteworthy.) Only making one superbowl drags him down a bit, I think, with 24 guys coaching in multiple superbowls. That I think drags him below guys like Vermeil, Cowher. Especially given the QB play Payton had. It will help him a lot of he comes back and repeats his success elsewhere without Brees. Guys like Walsh and Belichick always had Montana and Brady, but won far more. Guys like Cowher and Gibbs had lower win rates, but saw their success not rely so much on one long term great. He wasn't quite successful enough for a guy with a top 10 all-time QB his whole career, to wind up top 10 himself.

I'll just list guys I think are ahead of him. 

Belichicks, Brown, Halas, Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Noll, Landry, Johnson, Reid, Gibbs, Madden, Parcells, Stram, Lambeau, Tomlin, Cowher, Levy, Grant, Dungy, Siefert. 

That's 21. Maybe you could argue a couple of them for Payton but there's guys like Carroll and Coughlin who I think you could easily debate. So it evens out. 

He's probably top 25 and maybe sneaks into the end of the top 20

On 2/4/2022 at 7:11 AM, El Ramster said:

Dude hasn’t done anything in 16 years. He’s Marvin Lewis with a SUPER BOWL. Get at me!! One of the most overrated coaches in the history of the game. Started off hot but fizzled despite having one of the greatest home field advantages in the world…

this is facts. Hes had great offenses and one of the best QBs ever and only won one chip when i was 16. I'm 31 now.