Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Different team. 

And as this quote has been discussed before, there’s no context to what role Patterson wanted to stay in. 

You’re simply trying to make conjecture and assumptions sound like facts to fit your misguided displeasure. 

I am quoting Star Tribune's Ben Goessling and referencing his information, if you want to call him a liar than go ahead and do so I guess.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am quoting Star Tribune's Ben Goessling and referencing his information, if you want to call him a liar than go ahead and do so I guess.  

Attempting to play peace keeper here, as far as I recall Goessling never stated what roll Patterson wanted to stay with the team in.  If he was adamant about wanting to still be the DC, versus just wanting to be the DL coach, we don't know.  Him taking a DL coaching job with the Giants isn't an indication either way.

If we find out that he wanted to stay as just the DL coach, and the Vikings didn't explore that, that's a completely separate thing.  That's what @SemperFeist has stated.  We simply don't know the context of Patterson wanting to stay here; that's all that's being said.  No one has called anyone a liar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Attempting to play peace keeper here, as far as I recall Goessling never stated what roll Patterson wanted to stay with the team in.  If he was adamant about wanting to still be the DC, versus just wanting to be the DL coach, we don't know.  Him taking a DL coaching job with the Giants isn't an indication either way.

If we find out that he wanted to stay as just the DL coach, and the Vikings didn't explore that, that's a completely separate thing.  That's what @SemperFeist has stated.  We simply don't know the context of Patterson wanting to stay here; that's all that's being said.  No one has called anyone a liar.

Either way the dude wanted to stay here and is one of the best in the profession in the entire league on the DL.  To just want to go a different direction because he was with Zimmer that entire time is just foolish and totally disregarding what he did here as a DL coach.  

They were 2nd in the NFL in sacks this year and Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen both missed over half the season, if that has nothing to do with the DL coach what does?  Sure he was the co-defensive coordinator also but guess who was in charge of the DL and probably most of the pass rush.  Hell that was the only thing the defense was good at last year.

It is just simply a massive mistake especially considering he wanted to return and coach in Minnesota next year.  Great for the Giants the sack production of Leonard Williams, Azeez and the rookie OLB they draft will be pretty great next year.  And I am sure he will turn Elerson Smith, Roche or Cam Brown into a star as well.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Either way the dude wanted to stay here and is one of the best in the profession in the entire league on the DL.  To just want to go a different direction because he was with Zimmer that entire time is just foolish and totally disregarding what he did here as a DL coach.  

They were 2nd in the NFL in sacks this year and Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen both missed over half the season, if that has nothing to do with the DL coach what does?  Sure he was the co-defensive coordinator also but guess who was in charge of the DL and probably most of the pass rush.  Hell that was the only thing the defense was good at last year.

It is just simply a massive mistake especially considering he wanted to return and coach in Minnesota next year.  Great for the Giants the sack production of Leonard Williams, Azeez and the rookie OLB they draft will be pretty great next year.  And I am sure he will turn Elerson Smith, Roche or Cam Brown into a star as well.  

He was co-DC of one of the worst defenses in the league. If he only wanted to stay on as DC, then you absolutely send him packing. 

And as was stated by multiple people: we don't know if he wanted to stay on as DL Coach. None of the articles have made that clear either. So, as multiple people here have stated, it's not as black-and-white as "he wanted to stay." Calling it a "massive mistake" without knowing all of the circumstances is foolish and totally disregarding the unknowns. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

It sounds like Johnson is a great, young, upcoming coach that with help the Vikings and whoever is the next QB of the future for this team.

.....I guess help Kirk too.

I actually like this hire quite a bit because I think Johnson is looking at a relatively quick ascent through the coaching ranks in the league. Phillips coming in as the OC was expected, and if not here, he probably would have gotten the OC spot out in LA. If the Vikes offense excels/improves, Phillips could be looked at for head coaching gigs sometime in the near future based off performance and probably, to some extent, his “pedigree” based on his father. I think this could create a role for Johnson to work his way up the chain to be our future Oc in the next several years, and all reports indicate that an OC role is probably not to far away in his future. Also, Assuming that we begin to bring in rookie QB’s relatively soon, Johnson will play a heavy role in their development and will have an investment in that player going forward, which could bode well as a connection to a future as an OC with us.

Head Coach: Kevin O’Connell

Offensive Coord: Wes Phillips (per Rapoport)
RB/Run Coord: Curtis Modkins (per Fowler)
QB Coach: Jerrod Johnson (per Zenitz)
OL Coach: Chris Kuper (per Wilson)
WR Coach: Keenan McCardell
TE Coach: Brian Angelichio (per Person)

Defensive Coord: Ed Donatell (per Goessling)
Senior Advisor: Mike Pettine (per Pelissero)
DL Coach: Chris Rumph (per Wilson)
ILB Coach: 
OLB Coach: 
DB Coach:

ST Coord: 

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Can you elaborate for those enough (me), who are less familiar?

The Rams don’t list an actual QB coach, but they do list Zac Robinson as the Assistant QB coach. It sounds like the Vikings are going to give Jerrod Johnson the same title. 

And now they are making the TE coach their pass game coordinator, as well. Which is Wes Phillips’ title in LA. 

And while he doesn’t hold the title, I’ve seen references to Thomas Brown as the Rams’ run game coordinator. And the Vikings gave that title to Modkins. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Rams don’t list an actual QB coach, but they do list Zac Robinson as the Assistant QB coach. It sounds like the Vikings are going to give Jerrod Johnson the same title. 

And now they are making the TE coach their pass game coordinator, as well. Which is Wes Phillips’ title in LA. 

And while he doesn’t hold the title, I’ve seen references to Thomas Brown as the Rams’ run game coordinator. And the Vikings gave that title to Modkins. 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Did you want Patterson as defensive coordinator? 

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did you want Patterson as defensive coordinator? 

Andre Patterson was the Assistant head coach / co-defensive coordinator / defensive line coach last year for the Vikings.  Now I would not want him as the DC only, because I do not believe he coaches coverage or DBs at all, honestly Zimmer was the DC last year and called the plays did he not?  Andre Patterson did not call the plays, he had a ton to do with the blitz packages and was the DL in general which is on his title.  Also probably did some game planning as well.

Assistant Head Coach, with the staff the Vikings have right now could argue Patterson could easily be considered the assistant HC on that coaching staff considering his experience for one.  Now maybe he did not want a demotion but again I consider that absolute BS because he is only the DL coach on the Giants right now.  He is not the DC, he is not the assistant HC, he is not the co-defensive coordinator.

They want to totally eliminate any connection to Zimmer, whatever but it is not like the team was winless last season.  NFL record is 14 one-possession games in a season right?   Set by the Giants in 1994 and equaled by the Ravens in 2015.  Didn't the Vikings tie that with 14 one possession games this season?  So that team is totally awful, no they were pretty damn close to being surprisingly good despite the bad defense.

You have to put it in perspective.  It's far easier to deal with a demotion in a fresh new place rather than in a place where you have a long history, because you now have negative feelings attached to that place.  Believe me, because I went through that experience in a job I had awhile ago... it's not fun, and I started looking for a new place as soon as I could.