Farve vs Elway vs Marino

Tightspiral7

Marino had the highest peak. When accounting for the times, that 1984 season was unbelievable.

In overall greatness, it's hard to put either over Elway. Say what you want for Elway's Broncos ****ting the bed in those first three Super Bowls, it's still an accomplishment especially with those weaker offenses.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 3

Favre was more accomplished while also being a comparable thrower of the football. 

I looked at Marinos stats outside of his 84 season and they aren't that great TBH. He had a great arm, and I think that slightly overrates his career even statistically. 

Favre won 3 MVP's in a row which is almost impossible these days. 

Give me 

Favre 

Marino 

Elway 

Marino had the highest single season peak, but lacked in the playoffs and stats outside of his first several years starting. Just 1 MVP and no rings. But he was in a not so great situation for most of his career.

Favre had the highest peak for a set of years in a row (three straight MVPs) and by 1998 his playoff stats and legacy was among the best. Though after 1998 he sort of became the opposite in the playoffs, and this guy also threw ints left and right. Not to be trusted in big moments. Still three MVPs and a ring with an extra appearance is nice, even if he was an inconsistent mess after the late 90s. 

Elway has overall the worst stats of the two, and even at his peak he didn't quite look great. He was in an offensive system that wasn't conducive to pretty stats, but he was the leader of some Super Bowl teams that did lack much on offense. He also has an AP MVP award (granted Rice had more TDs than him that season) and he does have 5 appearances with 2 victories (though they cheated the salary cap)

Favre had the cleanest career overall (good stats at the peak, ring, multiple MVPs) and he is highly talented (in fact all 3 are very talented QBs in general), but I feel if I were to pick one to start a team I likely would put Favre last. 

Elway and Marino I would feel slightly more comfortable starting a random team with. Get them in the right system, tailored to their skill set I would feel more comfortable with them overall. 

1 hour ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Marino had the highest single season peak, but lacked in the playoffs and stats outside of his first several years starting. Just 1 MVP and no rings. But he was in a not so great situation for most of his career.

Favre had the highest peak for a set of years in a row (three straight MVPs) and by 1998 his playoff stats and legacy was among the best. Though after 1998 he sort of became the opposite in the playoffs, and this guy also threw ints left and right. Not to be trusted in big moments. Still three MVPs and a ring with an extra appearance is nice, even if he was an inconsistent mess after the late 90s. 

Elway has overall the worst stats of the two, and even at his peak he didn't quite look great. He was in an offensive system that wasn't conducive to pretty stats, but he was the leader of some Super Bowl teams that did lack much on offense. He also has an AP MVP award (granted Rice had more TDs than him that season) and he does have 5 appearances with 2 victories (though they cheated the salary cap)

Favre had the cleanest career overall (good stats at the peak, ring, multiple MVPs) and he is highly talented (in fact all 3 are very talented QBs in general), but I feel if I were to pick one to start a team I likely would put Favre last. 

Elway and Marino I would feel slightly more comfortable starting a random team with. Get them in the right system, tailored to their skill set I would feel more comfortable with them overall. 

I certainly trust Farve last if the game's on the line.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 7:50 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

I looked at Marinos stats outside of his 84 season and they aren't that great TBH. He had a great arm, and I think that slightly overrates his career even statistically. 

Strong disagree.

His 84-86 peak is legendary. Saying his 86 season isn't that great when he threw for 44 TDs and 4700 yards is crazy. Given the league averages at the time, those are insane numbers. 

If you look at advanced stats such as DYAR, you can see he is pretty much a top QB for his entire career. 

1987: 2nd
1988: 1st
1989: 6th
1990: 2nd
1991: 4th
1992: 2nd
1993: Injured
1994: 2nd
1995: 11th
1996: 3rd (1st in DVOA)
1997: 1st
1998: 11th 

So 6 out of 12 of these years he is top 1 or 2.

8 out 12 years he is top 4. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Strong disagree.

His 84-86 peak is legendary. Saying his 86 season isn't that great when he threw for 44 TDs and 4700 yards is crazy. Given the league averages at the time, those are insane numbers. 

If you look at advanced stats such as DYAR, you can see he is pretty much a top QB for his entire career. 

1987: 2nd
1988: 1st
1989: 6th
1990: 2nd
1991: 4th
1992: 2nd
1993: Injured
1994: 2nd
1995: 11th
1996: 3rd (1st in DVOA)
1997: 1st
1998: 11th 

So 6 out of 12 of these years he is top 1 or 2.

8 out 12 years he is top 4. 

Marino was a turnover machine and largely considered an idiot, even by some of his coaches. Turnovers are part of the game. You can shoot me all the bulk stats you want….

Marino scored a 16 on the wonderlic test, mind bogglingly low. Only a handful of successful starting QB’s have scored under 20. Lamar is one that comes to mind. And Jim Kelly. But overall, successful QB’s with a score under 20 is rare. 

Marino sucked at reading disguise defenses. 

Edited by BayRaider