Packers all in vs Rams ALLLLLL INNNNN

HeresAGuy

14 minutes ago, eh3034 said:

I don't understand where everyone is coming from with this Rodgers to Denver nonsense.  Sure Denver can offer the world to Green Bay, but Rodgers could just retire rather than actually report to Denver if traded.  Why would Rodgers want to play for Denver?  They won't be better than KC with him, so they are a wild card team that has to go through KC, Cincy, Tennessee, and/or Buffalo in some combination.  I can see no way Rodgers would voluntarily go to the AFC (unless it was to Tennessee) and would use his retirement leverage to avoid it.  

The NFC is going to be so weakened next year, especially so if some of the rumored Rams retire.  I can't see Tampa Bay retooling for another run like people think, Dallas keeps spinning their wheels, and Kyler is messing around in Arizona.  Who is going to be the best team on paper next year in the NFC?  In my opinion, it will be whoever has Rodgers, and the only 2 logical places are staying in Green Bay or a trade to San Francisco.  To me, those are his only Super Bowl chances next year.

Personally, I would trade him to SF for Trey Lance, a 1st, etc.  Then build the 2022 offense around the studly RB duo and a mobile QB, and a sound defense.  If Lance is competent that team still contends in a weak NFC, and the post-Rodgers rebuild is greatly accelerated.  SF with Rodgers imo is the top team in the NFC, but I would probably say Green Bay without him is still the #4 team unless Lance is a Love-level disaster.  The NFC South conference winner next year could be 8-9, so I like the odds of being the 3 seed next year even without Rodgers.

I personally would not want Trey Lance as we have Jordan Love.  Plus, I cannot see management doing that but I understand that is your preferred trade.  If we trade Rodgers we save $19 million and if he retires we save about the same amount.  At this point coming back to the Packers is up to Rodgers as the team has sent out pretty strong signals they want him back and are willing to pay him very handsomely to come back.  So if he wants to leave which I still think he does, the team should be attempting to maximize it's compensation.  Sure...he can say "no, I'm not going there", but his only alternative is to retire which he does not really want to do.  We don't get the draft compensation, but we do get the cap relief.  It would suck, but it happens sometimes.

Plus Tom Brady is the QB most likely to go to San Francisco.  Its logical...Trey Lance goes to Tampa Bay and their 1st round pick (and more) for Tom Brady.

14 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

This is just dumb analysis. It’s survivorship-bias. Plenty of teams attempt to go “all-in” only to have it *not* pay off. Cherrypicking the one that catches the breaks all the way through to the end while ignoring all the others is not a fair analysis. It’s like acting like you’re a major genius for betting on a 31-team field of opponents producing a champion vs a single team’s odds. 

Not to mention if you go all in and the guy you get gets injured at the wrong time, you could be royally screwed.  We almost saw that happen with OBJ last night.

Also, I think in a way Gute did go all in, or at least got us star power on defense with our pass rushers and solidifying the ILB spot with Campbell among other things.  How easily we forget our defense was the only unit this year to not give up an offensive TD in the playoffs, something we haven't seen in years.

The problems for the offense aside from Rodgers looking like he's over the hill were an OL that constantly had to rotate inexperienced guys in, and Tonyan and MVS going down.  But I don't think we have to spend big FA bucks on that side of the ball to get to the SB.

Only side of the ball we haven't gone all in on has been our god awful special teams, and I think that's going to change now with Richie B here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eh3034 said:

Personally, I would trade him to SF for Trey Lance, a 1st, etc.  Then build the 2022 offense around the studly RB duo and a mobile QB, and a sound defense.  If Lance is competent that team still contends in a weak NFC, and the post-Rodgers rebuild is greatly accelerated.  SF with Rodgers imo is the top team in the NFC, but I would probably say Green Bay without him is still the #4 team unless Lance is a Love-level disaster.  The NFC South conference winner next year could be 8-9, so I like the odds of being the 3 seed next year even without Rodgers.

I was with you until this part.  First off, there's no way SF is going to part with Lance even for Rodgers as they've already designated him as their guy.  And 2nd I've seen him play and there's zero evidence to suggest he's any better than Love.

If we're going to trade Rodgers, you can bet your *** it's going to be out of conference.

14 hours ago, Leader said:

They're also incredibly lucky to even have gotten to the SB. They were a muffed INT from being eliminated against SF and today were one yellow flag away from a crucial 4th & 8 that would decide their entire season. So - you can portray it as some grand master plan - but they got a lot of breaks.

You need a boat load of things to go in your favor to win a SB and you need a lot of things to go south to get eliminated (2014 Seattle playoff game is Exhibit A).  😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I personally would not want Trey Lance as we have Jordan Love.  Plus, I cannot see management doing that but I understand that is your preferred trade.  If we trade Rodgers we save $19 million and if he retires we save about the same amount.  At this point coming back to the Packers is up to Rodgers as the team has sent out pretty strong signals they want him back and are willing to pay him very handsomely to come back.  So if he wants to leave which I still think he does, the team should be attempting to maximize it's compensation.  Sure...he can say "no, I'm not going there", but his only alternative is to retire which he does not really want to do.  We don't get the draft compensation, but we do get the cap relief.  It would suck, but it happens sometimes.

Plus Tom Brady is the QB most likely to go to San Francisco.  Its logical...Trey Lance goes to Tampa Bay and their 1st round pick (and more) for Tom Brady.

What makes you believe Rodgers wants to leave?  Unless he was blowing smoke at the NFL awards he indicates that he likes his HC a lot and it appears his relationship with Gute is much improved.

Is there serious talk of Brady coming back?  

1 hour ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I was with you until this part.  First off, there's no way SF is going to part with Lance even for Rodgers as they've already designated him as their guy.  And 2nd I've seen him play and there's zero evidence to suggest he's any better than Love.

If we're going to trade Rodgers, you can bet your *** it's going to be out of conference.

Lance already looks better than Love. They are both raw, but Lance's skill set is much better than Love's, and he's a year behind Love. Much stronger arm, better running ability, and carries himself like an alpha (Love looks like he lacks confidence). I'm pretty certain Lance is going to be good. If I had to bet on Love, I'd say it's less than 50/50 that he'll be good.\

I don't get the talk that we weren't all in. We restructured every contract we could. We traded for Cobb. We signed guys like Whitney Mercilus and Jaylon Smith. We drafted based on need. It sounds like we went for guys like Watt and OBJ (among others), but we couldn't afford the contracts they got.

3 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Lance already looks better than Love. They are both raw, but Lance's skill set is much better than Love's, and he's a year behind Love. Much stronger arm, better running ability, and carries himself like an alpha (Love looks like he lacks confidence). I'm pretty certain Lance is going to be good. If I had to bet on Love, I'd say it's less than 50/50 that he'll be good.

hahahah man, cmon. 
Lance was better this year, they both had a limited sample size, betting without knowing enough info is why gambling is for suckers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

If Gute throws a ton of money at Rodgers, we're done. For us to compete he has to take a discount. Extend him? Cool. Pay him top dollar? Not worth it.

Gute needs to do what's best for this franchise going fwd.  They held their ground with Brent so they better not fold like a tent now over Rodgers.  The PR is going to suck regardless and there's gonna be salty fans either way.  The same fans pining for Rodgers at all costs will likely sing a different song at Gute for the resulting cap space hell after 12 is gone.  Like they weren't warned this would happen.  I'm going to be really disappointed in this FO if they buckle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

What makes you believe Rodgers wants to leave?  Unless he was blowing smoke at the NFL awards he indicates that he likes his HC a lot and it appears his relationship with Gute is much improved.

Is there serious talk of Brady coming back?  

Just my gut feeling.  I actually think Rodgers is saying all the right things and  is very sincere in his comments about the coach and the organization now.  A lot of mending of the fences has occurred.  However there just seemed like there was something in that speech to me when you have told a team he was finishing a chapter and might want to try something new or different.  He appreciated everything he had in Green Bay, but he still want to try something different.  Would it surprise me if he came back...absolutely not.  But I'm in agreement with Andrew Brandt on this.  He is leaving but on a high feeling good about everything.  I've been 10/90 on him coming back now for some time so maybe I'm just reading into his comments what I want to.  

On Brady, its just rumor.

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

If Gute throws a ton of money at Rodgers, we're done. For us to compete he has to take a discount. Extend him? Cool. Pay him top dollar? Not worth it.

I don't know what's with people thinking any discontent Rodgers had here had anything to do with money.  It didn't!  He was upset because he didn't like some of his old teammates being let go of out of nowhere, and he wanted more of a say in these matters.

I'm almost certain he'd take a pay cut if he was given more of a voice, and he'd do so to keep Adams.