What will we do about the Oline?

theJ

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't see them giving up on Carman, Smith, or Hill since Pollack just drafted them, but Adeniji and Price were not Pollack's guys, so easier to move on.  If we had this level of commitment to OL in FA (5 signings technically since Spain and Reiff are FA), then we likely don't go OL in the draft at all unless it is a clear BPA situation.

That is a good way to look at it. I have listened to 2 podcasts this week including Lap saying that Carman has a ton of off field interests and isn't sure he truly loves football. That is a killer for athletes. Hopefully he dedicates himself as he has the physical tools. Smith showed promise in the little he was able to play. 

5 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

That is a good way to look at it. I have listened to 2 podcasts this week including Lap saying that Carman has a ton of off field interests and isn't sure he truly loves football. That is a killer for athletes. Hopefully he dedicates himself as he has the physical tools. Smith showed promise in the little he was able to play. 

I just think Smith is much more a natural at Tackle over guard. He's long and athletic, he's not built to maul inside against DT's.

I wouldn't be shocked if Carman just didn't love football.  He underachieved at Clemson and now he's underachieving in the NFL.

With covid likely to be in remission by summer, it's not clear what the roster and practice squad rules will be for 2022. Personally, I'd like it if they kept last year's rules indefinitely. Anyway, my early guesses for next year's O-line:

LT Williams/Adeniji

LG Tomlinson

C Jensen/Hill

RG Corbett/Jackson

RT Moses/Smith

PS: Johnson/Prince

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

My 2/25 prediction for opening day offensive line:

LT: The Jonah / Smith
LG: Spain / Carman
C : Bozeman / Hill
RG: Corbett
RT: Reiff / Moses

Cut: Hopkins, Prince
PS: Johnson, Adeniji

I really like resigning Reiff and adding another right tackle to start. That would have been huge this year. Prince is not an NFL caliber player.

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

With covid likely to be in remission by summer, it's not clear what the roster and practice squad rules will be for 2022. Personally, I'd like it if they kept last year's rules indefinitely. Anyway, my early guesses for next year's O-line:

LT Williams/Adeniji

LG Tomlinson

C Jensen/Hill

RG Corbett/Jackson

RT Moses/Smith

PS: Johnson/Prince

Is back up right guard Jackson Carman or a different Jackson? 

27 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I've seen a couple of places suggest signing a center and moving Hopkins to guard is going to fill too spots. Is it just me, or is that a flat terrible idea? Why is Hopkins any better at guard?

I think he played some guard earlier in his career and graded OK. I would prefer to have Hopkins restructure and be a backup for us. 

24 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

From what I can tell in 2017 he started at RG. Graded at 60 on PFF. Only 3 penalties and 2 sacks given up. 

Started 12, played 13. Replaced Zeitler that year, I feel like I was unimpressed by him, but 5 years later after injury not sure he's going to be even that good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I distinctly remember hearing/reading about how much better Hopkins was playing when we moved him back to center where he fit better.

He had been playing next to Russell Bodine, so that has to be taken into account. Still, he's a backup at best.