Joe Flacco 2012 playoffs vs Matthew Stafford 2021 playoffs

notthatbluestuff

Joe vs Matthew - which postseason was better?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Flacco or Stafford?

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

He threw six picks? You sure about that?

That's incorrect and in general, you are literally the least credible poster on this site when talking about anything to do with the Rams.

Some notes to show how impressive Stafford was this postseason:

The NFC opponents had the 6th, 7th and 9th ranked defenses by DVOA.

Flacco by comparison played the 6th, 17th and 31st - although in the Super Bowls, Stafford played 19 while Flacco played 4.

Average rank was 15th for Flacco.

Average rank was 10th for Stafford.

I'm not saying that makes Stafford's run more impressive than Flacco (it wasn't) - but it's another example that shows how impressive Stafford's run was.

Mahomes run a few years ago was better statistically, but the defenses he played ranked 22nd, 18th and 2nd - average rank of 14.

The Niners completely shut down the league MVP - next week Stafford has a better game.

Ended up with similar stats to Mahomes against the Bengals, but didn't throw an INT in OT to lose the game, and did so after losing his second best option.

It was a good postseason for Stafford, but it literally does not compare to a lot of other Super Bowl QB runs. The Top 7 are almost flawless while the Top 20 are extremely competitive. Most of them only have one turnover as well, two max. 

This is recency bias mixed with Ram fan bias at it’s finest. Evidenced by the poll results. This thread had no purpose of being made because it’s not a legit comparison. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Stafford threw 6 picks… and almost cost his team that Niner game. Out of 56 QB winning performances, he is not Top 20. I think you are underestimating how many great QB postseasons there have been, which also all included game winning drives. 

First off Stafford threw 3 picks. Secondly, Stafford didnt almost cost the Rams the Niners game. Idk why people keep running with the narrative that if Tartt catches the ball the Niners win. There was 9 minutes to go in the game and the Rams were only down by 3pts. The Niners didnt gain a positive yard on offense after Mitchell had that 9-yd run at the 12:10 mark. So even if Tartt catches the ball the Niners showed they literally couldnt move the ball at all. So what do you think the Niners was going to do if they got the ball back? Ill tell you. Either go 3 and out OR Jimmy G turns the ball right back over. As a matter of fact, if we are going to talk about the Tartt dropped ball, PLEASE talk about the Ramsey dropped pick 6 that came after the Tartt dropped ball. We need fairness here and not just pretend one didnt happened but the other one did. 

Basically what Im saying is no matter how anyone slice it, the dropped int by Tartt did not effect the outcome of the game. The Rams wouldve won the game regardless bc of how the 4th quarter just flipped on its head. The only difference is the Niners wouldve had an extra possession and Stafford wouldve had 2 ints on his stat line. But hey if it make people feel better to say if this or that happened the Rams lose then go right ahead. All I ask is to be fair. Be fair and mention the drop TD by Skow, the drop pass by Kupp that couldve led to a TD bc he had space to run had he caught the ball, the missed FG by Gay, and the dropped pick 6 by Rams all in the Niners game. Not to mention the failed QB sneak on 4th and 1. The way I see it, the Niners were fortunate to even be leading entering the 4th with a chance but the Rams kept shooting themselves in the foot and still ended up winning in the end. 

@stl4life07 The point is, this thread should of never been made. This is literally no comparison. Stafford had a solid postseason run, full credit and fully admitted, but it does not compare to some of the great postseason runs like ‘12 Flacco. The only ones even saying it’s remotely close are Ram fans. It’s not close and no debate. 

This is recency bias and Ram fan bias mixed together. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It was a good postseason for Stafford, but it literally does not compare to a lot of other Super Bowl QB runs. The Top 7 are almost flawless while the Top 20 are extremely competitive. Most of them only have one turnover as well, two max. 

This is recency bias mixed with Ram fan bias at it’s finest. Evidenced by the poll results. This thread had no purpose of being made because it’s not a legit comparison. 

Agreed its not as good as Flaccos, but factoring in how good the defenses were that each faced and the 2nd and 4th options being out along with three GW drives, and overall numbers - I'd be pretty confident that it's a top 10 run and probably closer to top 5

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Agreed its not as good as Flaccos, but factoring in how good the defenses were that each faced and the 2nd and 4th options being out along with three GW drives, and overall numbers - I'd be pretty confident that it's a top 10 run and probably closer to top 5

Then you should probably look at all 56 Super Bowl runs for QB’s. Stafford is definitely Top 25. Maybe Top 20. And I give him full credit for a good run. But there has been some ridiculously good QB Super Bowl runs, that are near perfect throughout the playoffs. 

Stafford did make quite a few mistakes, more than anyone on the list I made, and had to pull out a few close calls that could have gone either way. He was not anywhere close to the word perfect or flawless. But very good overall, agreed. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

@stl4life07 The point is, this thread should of never been made. This is literally no comparison. Stafford had a solid postseason run, full credit and fully admitted, but it does not compare to some of the great postseason runs like ‘12 Flacco. The only ones even saying it’s remotely close are Ram fans. It’s not close and no debate. 

This is recency bias and Ram fan bias mixed together. 

I get your point but I dont mind this thread being made. Its a debate and for anyone to say that there is nothing to debate about then idk what to tell you. Was the pressure on Flacco to deliver in 2012 anywhere near the pressure for Stafford to deliver this season? Yes the only pressure Flacco had was to get a contract. There was no legacy on the line for him. We all knew Flacco wasnt a regular season QB. So its not like his postseason wouldve made him into a top 10 QB or a potential HOF'er. There was no people saying with Flacco its not just good enough for him to make the Superbowl he has to win it. So again nobody is saying Flacco didnt have a great postseason but in context Stafford postseason was under the most scrutiny that had he failed at any point everyone wouldve been out for blood him. That wouldnt have been the case with Flacco. In other words, every playoff game was the Superbowl for Stafford bc he had to deliver for his legacy to not go down the toilet by many people eyes. That wasnt the case with Flacco. And the fact that Stafford did deliver in the fashion that he did makes his postseason run better.  

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Everyone knows the Ravens wouldnt have won the Superbowl in 2012 without Flacco. Nobody is saying Flacco is now a top 10 QB and future HOF'er bc he won the Superbowl. People are saying the only thing that was missing from Stafford was showing he can win on the biggest stage but most importantly can he win with a great organization and he did so.

But if QBs like Joe Flacco can win on the biggest stage, why is it so impressive that Stafford can do the same? We both agree Stafford is the better QB. I've seen Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson win Super Bowls, its not like its impossible for a mediocre QB to do it.  

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

But if QBs like Joe Flacco can win on the biggest stage, why is it so impressive that Stafford can do the same? We both agree Stafford is the better QB. I've seen Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson win Super Bowls, its not like its impossible for a mediocre QB to do it.  

Who was under the most pressure to win, Stafford or Flacco? Both delivered with great postseasons but I feel Stafford was most impressive bc he delivered with the most pressure on him. There was no player that I can think off in recent memory that was under the most pressure in the playoffs than Stafford.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

The NFC opponents had the 6th, 7th and 9th ranked defenses by DVOA.

Flacco by comparison played the 6th, 17th and 31st - although in the Super Bowls, Stafford played 19 while Flacco played 4.

Average rank was 15th for Flacco.

Average rank was 10th for Stafford.

You also need to consider the quality of offenses. Flacco had to outscore the opponents, who had the 1, 2, 5, and 18 best offenses in the league in 2012. The Ravens had to put up 38 on the road in Denver in 13 degrees. Then 34 points in the Super Bowl vs the 4th best defense. (yes I know in each game there was a defensive and ST TD).

Overall the Pats, Broncos, and 49ers were the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best teams by DVOA.  

Also even though NE was 17th in defensive DVOA in 2012, Belichick is the greatest defensive coach in the history of the game and Flacco had no problems shredding his gameplan.  

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Who was under the most pressure to win, Stafford or Flacco? Both delivered with great postseasons but I feel Stafford was most impressive bc he delivered with the most pressure on him. There was no player that I can think off in recent memory that was under the most pressure in the playoffs than Stafford.

I dunno, I think once you get to the Super Bowl, that's just about the maximum amount of pressure you can face. I don't think their narratives really added any pressure whatsoever. You have all your teammates, coaches, your entire city riding on ever play, you really think in the moment Stafford gives a crap about some narrative? These guys are living in the moment. 

36 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

You also need to consider the quality of offenses. Flacco had to outscore the opponents, who had the 1, 2, 5, and 18 best offenses in the league in 2012. The Ravens had to put up 38 on the road in Denver in 13 degrees. Then 34 points in the Super Bowl vs the 4th best defense. (yes I know in each game there was a defensive and ST TD).

Overall the Pats, Broncos, and 49ers were the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best teams by DVOA.  

Also even though NE was 17th in defensive DVOA in 2012, Belichick is the greatest defensive coach in the history of the game and Flacco had no problems shredding his gameplan.  

No arguments here. I used the Flacco one as a point because I was curious, but I won't try to pretend Stafford's run was better than his

54 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

What you're saying is why I knew Stafford would be successful in LA.

However, when the trade happened there were about a million people who said something to the affect of "he's not a winner". I'm hoping you weren't one of them based on what you said above, but that's why it's relevant that he played so well in the playoffs and we won the Super Bowl.

It's fascinating how so many on this site are glossing over what they thought at the time of the trade

• Like 1

Stafford had a nice run and got the Lombardi. He's got a while to go to be playoff Flacco.

Flacco has 6 playoff wins from 2011 to present.

Rodgers has 7.

Flacco had 24 TDs to 4 picks in his last 10 playoff games.

Rodgers is 22 to 6 in his last 10 playoff games.

While I love Matthew and what he did was amazing. To beat the goat and slay others was sick. But he’s the superior QB to Joe Trash.. This is Flacco all the way. What he did that playoff run was fool all of the ravens to pay him a bag lmao. Dudes so trash it’s disgusting. But he was on fire that playoff run, I remember watching the Denver game like WTF 😂 JOE THE DRAGON THE HERO WE NEEDED TO SLAY THE TRASH PATS. 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 1