Joe Flacco 2012 playoffs vs Matthew Stafford 2021 playoffs

notthatbluestuff

Joe vs Matthew - which postseason was better?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Flacco or Stafford?

Flacco's playoff passer rating was 117.2 in a year when the average rating was 85.6.
Stafford's playoff passer rating was 108.3 in a year when the average rating was 90.8.

The Rams didn't play very tough competition in the playoffs. The Bucs were their toughest opponent, and they were clearly not the same without Godwin and Brown. The Bengals are probably one of the worst super bowl teams of recent memory. 

The Ravens beat prime Brady in NE and Manning in Denver. Pats, Broncos, 49ers were 3 of the 4 best teams in the league in 2012 (along with the Seahawks). 

• Like 8

‘89 Montana, ‘10 Rodgers, ‘12 Flacco are probably the best three playoff performances of all time. And I’d say ‘89 Montana was the greatest. 146.8 Pass Rating, 11 TD’s, 0 INT’s, Super Bowl MVP, Super Bowl Route. 

Other great playoff QB performances that resulted in a Super Bowl win: ‘76 Stabler, ‘88 Montana, ‘94 Young, ‘09 Brees. 

I usually hate saying "its not close", but in this case....it really isnt.

I have zero love for Flacco and think he was largely a mediocre QB.....but that 2012 postseason run was pretty legendary.    He was by no means perfect that postseason, but he made every play they needed him to, and then some.

He faced a harder slate of games, had less weapons and a weaker overall team around him, and outperformed Stafford in pretty much every category.

I am extremely happy for Stafford, and believe he played very well this postseason....but yeah, its not even really comparable.   Thats not even a knock on Stafford....but Flacco's run that year was easily one of the best playoff performances ever....which is funny given how insanely mediocre he was during the 2012 regular season.  

• Like 4

Its Stafford. The numbers dont tell the entire story. Stafford had three straight game-winning td drives. I cant remember the playoff run that Flacco had but Im sure he didnt pull that off. To top it off, Stafford had what is going to go down as one of the best game-winning drive in Superbowl history and one of the best throws in playoff history with that no look pass to Kupp on 2nd and 7. 

I also think what puts Stafford over the top is that the pressure that everyone placed on him in the playoffs. Nothing he couldve done in the regular season mattered. He couldve won MVP and led the Rams to the (17-0) record. There wouldve still been people doubting him in the playoffs. The NFL purposely put Stafford on solely in the spotlight against the Cards on MNF as the only NFL game that day. Then the Rams had a short week to travel across the country to Tampa Bay where Brady was (19-2) all-time in divisional round. The team melted down around Stafford but yet he stayed calm and with 35 seconds and no timeouts he led the team down the field for a game-winning field goal drive.

Then the next game where many say there were more Niners fans than Rams fans thus it felt like a road game for the Rams, all Stafford did down 10pts in the 4th was lead three straight scoring drives including the game-winning field goal drive to win. Thats with McVay losing 6 straight games to Kyle. Thats with Stafford being (0-26) in his career when trailing by at least 10pts entering the 4th quarter.

Then in the Superbowl where Stafford was (0-3) in his career against the Bengals won despite the refs giving the Bengals a free TD to start the 2nd half which gave the Bengals the lead and with no Woods, Higbee, OBJ, and Blanton in the 2nd half and the running game being the worst in Superbowl history all Stafford did was lead tue longest go ahead 4th quarter go ahead drive in Superbowl history which was the game-winning TD drive throwing to the player that everyone in the world who follows football know he was going to go to and still couldnt stop him.

My last point is, when Dan Orlovsky said one day that he would bet his life with the game on the line and Stafford leading the way. He said there is no other guy he would want. I first thought he said that mainly bc him and Stafford are best friends but Stafford continues to show that he is clutch no matter what game it is. Im sure Stafford thought in the Superbowl that last drive felt like a noon game in Detroit lol. I know nobody was looking at Flacco in that same way. Plus you know how hard it is to do what Stafford did? Thats why he is now the 3rd QB in NFL history to win a Superbowl in his first season with a new team. He is the only QB to have at least 6,000yds, 50tds, and win a Superbowl in the same season. So again Im going with Stafford. 

Edited by stl4life07

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Mile High Miracle was better than literally anything Stafford did the entire postseason.

I dont disagree with how great that was but the pressure on Flacco to produce in the playoffs was nothing compared to Stafford. If Flacco wouldve failed nobody wouldve given him an ounce of thought. If Stafford wouldve failed at any point in the playoffs everyone wouldve been out for blood on him. So what made Stafford postseason run so special is bc he literally was under pressure with every snap he took. Literally people was waiting for him to fail. And I dont mean to say people was hoping he fail but people was banking on him failing more so than succeeding just due to all those years in Detroit. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I dont disagree with how great that was but the pressure on Flacco to produce in the playoffs was nothing compared to Stafford. If Flacco wouldve failed nobody wouldve given him an ounce of thought. If Stafford wouldve failed at any point in the playoffs everyone wouldve been out for blood on him. So what made Stafford postseason run so special is bc he literally was under pressure with every snap he took. Literally people was waiting for him to fail. And I dont mean to say people was hoping he fail but people was banking on him failing more so than succeeding just due to all those years in Detroit. 

I mean I understand where Rams fans might be coming from here, but there's still no comparison to what Flacco did on those playoffs. It's insulting to that run, quite frankly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Its Stafford. The numbers dont tell the entire story. Stafford had three straight game-winning td drives. I cant remember the playoff run that Flacco had but Im sure he didnt pull that off. To top it off, Stafford had what is going to go down as one of the best game-winning drive in Superbowl history and one of the best throws in playoff history with that no look pass to Kupp on 2nd and 7. 

I also think what puts Stafford over the top is that the pressure that everyone placed on him in the playoffs. Nothing he couldve done in the regular season mattered. He couldve won MVP and led the Rams to the (17-0) record. There wouldve still been people doubting him in the playoffs. The NFL purposely put Stafford on solely in the spotlight against the Cards on MNF as the only NFL game that day. Then the Rams had a short week to travel across the country to Tampa Bay where Brady was (19-2) all-time in divisional round. The team melted down around Stafford but yet he stayed calm and with 35 seconds and no timeouts he led the team down the field for a game-winning field goal drive.

Then the next game where many say there were more Niners fans than Rams fans thus it felt like a road game for the Rams, all Stafford did down 10pts in the 4th was lead three straight scoring drives including the game-winning field goal drive to win. Thats with McVay losing 6 straight games to Kyle. Thats with Stafford being (0-26) in his career when trailing by at least 10pts entering the 4th quarter.

Then in the Superbowl where Stafford was (0-3) in his career against the Bengals won despite the refs giving the Bengals a free TD to start the 2nd half which gave the Bengals the lead and with no Woods, Higbee, OBJ, and Blanton in the 2nd half and the running game being the worst in Superbowl history all Stafford did was lead tue longest go ahead 4th quarter go ahead drive in Superbowl history which was the game-winning TD drive throwing to the player that everyone in the world who follows football know he was going to go to and still couldnt stop him.

My last point is, when Dan Orlovsky said one day that he would bet his life with the game on the line and Stafford leading the way. He said there is no other guy he would want. I first thought he said that mainly bc him and Stafford are best friends but Stafford continues to show that he is clutch no matter what game it is. Im sure Stafford thought in the Superbowl that last drive felt like a noon game in Detroit lol. I know nobody was looking at Flacco in that same way. Plus you know how hard it is to do what Stafford did? Thats why he is now the 3rd QB in NFL history to win a Superbowl in his first season with a new team. He is the only QB to have at least 6,000yds, 50tds, and win a Superbowl in the same season. So again Im going with Stafford. 

Flacco only needed one game winning drive 

They beat the Colts 24-9, and beat the Patriots 28-13. They also led the 49ers throughout the whole Super Bowl

However his offense averaged more points per game (31) than Stafford’s (26) in the playoffs. When his team needed a game winning drive, he delivered. When they needed to move the ball to stave off the 49er comeback, he delivered