Will the KO Offense be a Knock Out?

vike daddy

Head Coach Kevin O'Connell: 

"I think it's funny you ask [about my playing career] because I've used this joke before, but my career as a player provided a great platform for me as a coach because I did spend a lot of time watching games from the sideline. But I will say that with that comes the ability to see the game in a way that I feel very prepared to call the game.

"I feel like I've been around one of the best play callers in the NFL over the last couple years [in McVay], and obviously the system we run here will have a lot of characteristics of what we did in Los Angeles, the ability to have that attacking mindset, the ability to utilize our offense at the line of scrimmage. With that, you have to have ownership of what you're doing to call it, you have to have ownership of what you're doing at the quarterback position to run the offense, and I feel very strongly about the circumstances and situation here to be really prepared to do that."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-oconnell-press-conference-intro-takeaways?fbclid=IwAR2TaLfAXUUW-b3tO-Pl9L_Fay8Rz84veFs5sICgk3xD1Q-PfAwqlsL88QM

what changes will we see in the 2022 Viking offense?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

There may be some minor changes as to how the offense attacks the defense, but I still expect a lot of Kubiak influence on it, because in the end, the offense that KOC/McVay evolved from is the Kubiak/Shanahan offense.  

Seems like KOC acknowledges that most teams use 11 personal as opposed to two TE sets that’s so prevalent in Kubiak/Shanahans offense. I would imagine we will see fewer multi TE sets now. 

• Like 1

O'Connell: "I've seen Wes develop and take good players and make them great and take young players and turn them into really high-quality-starting-caliber players when not a lot of people in the building may have thought that was possible. What does that tell me? He can develop. He can teach. He can lead. He can obviously motivate."

Wes Phillips: "I like to say sometimes, 'We all should have been psychology majors,' because it really is dealing with people, dealing with personalities. There's a lot of alpha-type personalities. There's some egos, and those aren't bad things. Those guys are extremely competitive people. That's why they're here, and that's why they got here. Trying to get them to understand that, 'Hey, this is a common goal, a common vision.' We all want personal success, but within the concept of what's best for the team. If we can all sometimes swallow our pride, just a little bit, and understand that, 'Hey, I've got to do this for him, and he's going to do this for me,' ultimately, we'll be better off."

https://www.vikings.com/news/ed-donatell-wes-phillips-matt-daniels-coordinators-intro?fbclid=IwAR3RmgDNzgSdM604lmyerw03CrPp4lUc2q2N5qwwygGuhWCfbSIA8p3R-xU

• Like 1

The 2021 Rams ranked 23rd in the NFL with 420 rushing attempts and 10th in the league with 607 pass attempts during the regular season, but it yielded results. Los Angeles ranked fifth in passing yards, second in passing touchdowns and seventh in scoring.

O'Connell, on Wes Phillips: "A really, really good mind from a standpoint of how we want to throw the football and marry it with the running game on early downs, but more importantly how to go score. He's been a huge part of building every offensive red zone plan I've had working alongside him over the past few years both in Los Angeles and in Washington.

https://www.vikings.com/news/at-the-onset-wes-phillips-on-role-as-vikings-oc-personnel-possibilities

Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow and Matthew Stafford.

That is why all three of those offenses were successful and without the QB it is nothing great, look at the Rams with Goff and even worse without Goff in the Playoffs that one year, they were nothing special at all and that was with McVay.  Even in the Super Bowl, you take out Stafford's elite level arm talent to make throws and that offense struggled a majority of the game.  

Can Kirk Cousins be one of those type guys?  Not so sure about that but will see.  And how much did O'Connell have to do with that offense at all, will see.  And is O'Connell calling the plays next year or is Phillips?  

They even said in the Super Bowl the Bengals and Rams basically have the same offense just different players at different positions.  A lot of bunch WR sets especially close to the end of the line of scrimmage, a lot of run game and play action off of it, all use the TEs pretty well and spread the ball around get the ball out of the QBs hands to totally eliminate the pass rushing game.  Helps show why the Packers even without multiple star injured offensive lineman they were still productive and managed fine without two of the leagues best because they get rid of the football quickly.  Both the Bengals and Rams in the Super bowl had basically a WR at RB and sometimes literally did have a WR there and just had them go out in the flat for a release and if not covered they got the ball, is part of the reason why Chris Evans was drafted by the Bengals just for that.

Assume one can expect pretty much the same from O'Connell and no clue how the league has not figured it out yet but obviously given quick releases a QB cannot really be touched and if they do get pressure they have to bring a lot of defenders to do it.  Did not work with Joe Burrow because that OL sucked but clearly work to a degree because they still got to the Super Bowl.

One thing the Vikings do have similar to those three teams is a star WR in Justin Jefferson, and Thielen is clearly not a bad second when he is healthy.  And all three had a good quality RB or RBs who are versatile and the Vikings do have that as well.  Vikings do not have near the defense any of those three teams have though but will see if that changes.  

O'Connell: "It's important that we play with great ball security. It's important that we're able to establish the run with physicality, toughness, kind of set the tone for everything that we want to do as an offense. And then, I think you've got to be great situationally. That's not just 2-minute end of game. That's third-down, that's red zone. That's really, really important because converting in those situations normally leads to opportunities to score points or if you're down in the red zone, to actually score points.

"And when you do that, you can make it really hard on an opponent if you're consistently good in those situations. I think just using all of the tools that you have to attack a defense. Tempo variations. Like I said, personnel formations are all one thing. Cadence. Just all of the things that I've learned over the course of being at a lot of great spots, around a lot of great coaches and teachers of this game, that you can now pull together and form an offense that fits our people, our players, to allow them to take off, ascend, and really hopefully get better every single week."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-oconnell-2022-nfl-combine-presser

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Ed Donatell is equally as impressed as he is thankful to be facing an offense led by head coach Kevin O’Connell and offensive coordinator Wes Phillips every day.

When fielding questions about multiple defensive looks, including packages with three safeties on the field, Donatell lauded the offensive side of the ball for giving the defense a multitude of different looks at practice.

Donatell: “One of the great things is the offense we get to see every day. Our offense has cutting edge schemes and formations. And that helps us get better. What Kevin and Wes has put together, it can only help us get better."

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/25/dc-ed-donatell-lauds-kevin-oconnells-cutting-edge-vikings-offense/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UsfqlmTQj6FWMi2mxiGgeRqITdVyEY3osABNShCF1lNALEMmVR-DOyzM