Unpopular music opinions

Malfatron

On 3/22/2022 at 11:06 PM, Daniel said:

Metal all sounds the same.  How are there 30 subgenres off a dude growling and heavily distorted guitars?

...this is a bad take. Your history of rock and roll teachers failed you on what Metal music is and is not. Even "Glam" is a type of metal, not to mention thrash, death, avante-garde, black, alternative, power, and heavy.

15575a4203ecf4e592a71c6c53345b9c.jpg

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I love them, but Metallica is the Nickelback of Metal Music. Mainstream, clean sound, and have subtly deviated from their thrash days. 

Metallica is the Nickelback of Metal nowadays, but I loved their progression From 'Kill Em All' all the way through 'Reload'.  Everything post Reload has been pretty meh.'

Kill Em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
And Justice For All
The Black Album
Load
Reload

That run over a 14 year period likely never gets eclipsed in any genre of Metal ever again.

• Like 3

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Metallica is the Nickelback of Metal nowadays, but I loved their progression From 'Kill Em All' all the way through 'Reload'.  Everything post Reload has been pretty meh.'

Kill Em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
And Justice For All
The Black Album
Load
Reload

That run over a 14 year period likely never gets eclipsed in any genre of Metal ever again.

This is 100% my take as well. Their evolutionary process during that time all the way up until the Black Album was pretty legit. After that, they sold out to mainstream metal, then made a half-hearted attempt with St. Anger.

Don't get me wrong, I still love some of their other guilty pleasure stuff like their S&M and Garage INC. albums, but for me, those first 4 stand head and shoulders above all else. Post "And Justice for All" wasn't my personal Metallica favorite. I LIKE the black album, but I LOVE RTL and Master of Puppets.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is 100% my take as well. Their evolutionary process during that time all the way up until the Black Album was pretty legit. After that, they sold out to mainstream metal, then made a half-hearted attempt with St. Anger.

Don't get me wrong, I still love some of their other guilty pleasure stuff like their S&M and Garage INC. albums, but for me, those first 4 stand head and shoulders above all else. Post "And Justice for All" wasn't my personal Metallica favorite. I LIKE the black album, but I LOVE RTL and Master of Puppets.

If I had to rank those, off the cuff i'd say:

Master of Puppets
Load (i'm higher on this album than most)
Kill Em All
The Black Album
Ride the Lightning
Reload
And Justice For All

Load and Kill Em All are very very different albums that I both love, but that was 10-15 years later and they were very different people at that point.  I don't see it as them going mainstream as much as I see them just evolving as people.

Edit: Agree on S&M and Garage Inc, both are awesome, but ultimately they are judged on their own material.

Edited by THE DUKE

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I would put Ride the Lightning at the top for me

• Like 1

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Master of Puppets
Load (i'm higher on this album than most)
Kill Em All
The Black Album
Ride the Lightning
Reload
And Justice For All

I would go

Ride the Lightning

Master of Puppets

Kill Em All

And Justice For All

Load

Black Album

Reload

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

This seems to be as close as what i'd see as a consensus best from them, but RtL just never hit as much for me.

I went through an obsessed Fade to Black and Orion phase, and a lot of this brings back super nostalgic memories for me with a lot of teammates.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I went through an obsessed Fade to Black and Orion phase, and a lot of this brings back super nostalgic memories for me with a lot of teammates.

Most of my nostalgia with their early stuff goes back to Kill Em All.  Especially Whiplash, Hit the Lights, and Seek and Destroy were mainstays in my HS locker room in the mid-late 90's.

• Like 1

Okay, here are some of my unpopular music takes:

The Rolling Stones legitimately suck. I've listened to them, I've wanted to like them, I've made legitimate attempts, and they're absolutely awful.

Dave Grohl was the most talented musician and visionary in Nirvana.

Van Halen is criminally underrated.

If Jackal drops "When will it rain" 7-10 years earlier, it's an all time hit.

80s hair band music is ELITE. So many awesome sub genres and sounds/evolutions that took place over a 10-13 year period of time (that last GNR album with Estranged from their lose your illusion trilogy is absolutely ELITE but got lost in the Grunge and 90s era alternative shuffle).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Most of my nostalgia with their early stuff goes back to Kill Em All.  Especially Whiplash, Hit the Lights, and Seek and Destroy were mainstays in my HS locker room in the mid-late 90's.

100% makes sense! I was about 5-10 years behind you, so this fits.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Kill Em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
And Justice For All
The Black Album
Load
Reload

Load gets way more hate than it deserves.  Same with Reload.  Both are very good records IMO.

5 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I would put Ride the Lightning at the top for me

Same.

Ride the Lightning
And Justice for All
S&M (probably doesn't count, but I will die on this hill)
Master of Puppetd
Load
Reload
Black Album (not trying to make a hot take, just so much overplay it's hard to ever want to come back to it, even though there are a lot of great songs)
Kill Em All

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

...this is a bad take. Your history of rock and roll teachers failed you on what Metal music is and is not. Even "Glam" is a type of metal, not to mention thrash, death, avante-garde, black, alternative, power, and heavy.

15575a4203ecf4e592a71c6c53345b9c.jpg

From my quick glance at this, there's a strong correlation between the legibility of the font and the quality of the band. Easier to read = better band. 

• Like 1