Cowboys "likely" to release WR Amari Cooper at start of league year

TheKillerNacho

11 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Raiders fan, right?

Just curious but how much influence did Gruden have on the picks?

It was a matter of speculation amongst fans, but I'd wager that Mayock had a much larger impact on the picks than originally thought. 

At first, it was "Gruden picks round 1 and Mayock does the rest". 

Then Mike basically admitted Arnette was "his guy", blowing the lid off of the "Mike only picks the later round guys" argument. 

As documented as it is that Gruden isn't a fan of rookies, I'd venture to say he barely cared about the draft at all really. He probably had a list of potential guys, as everyone does, but the draft was all Mayock, imo. 

• Like 1

I imagine it has to be fun living in a world where Amari Cooper is superior to Davante Adams and DeMarcus Ware will never, ever make a HoF ballot, much less the HoF. 

Once, in Madden 25, I wound up with Ryan Lindley, Jeff Maehl, Ryan Otten, Joseph Fauria, Markus Wheaton, and Jeremiah Johnson as my offense. I switched the Raiders to the offense that had the Wishbone set, used Otten at FB and wound up turning all of them into HoF guys, with Wheaton and Fauria becoming WR and TE #1 All-time, Johnson finishing just behind Emmitt Smith in yards but obliterating TDs, and never passing for less than 5700 yards and 40 TDs with Lindley. 

In that world, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton were both out of the league about 8 years in, none of Rivers, Eli, or Roethlisberger sniffed the HoF, and some cat named Edgar Ferweda became a dominant LT at 6'1 270. 

It was a load of fun, so I get it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It was a matter of speculation amongst fans, but I'd wager that Mayock had a much larger impact on the picks than originally thought.

Ah okay. I was just curious cause I thought I had remembered Raiders fans or NFL media kind of saying/thinking that Gruden had a big hand in the war room maybe compared to other coaches. I mean every teams situation is different. There is a collaborative approach, but some organizations the coach might have more say. Like I can point to Eagles picks over the decade where the coaches influenced a pick like most recently the coaching staff with Reagor being the better fit for the offense.

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

At first, it was "Gruden picks round 1 and Mayock does the rest". 

Then Mike basically admitted Arnette was "his guy", blowing the lid off of the "Mike only picks the later round guys" argument. 

As documented as it is that Gruden isn't a fan of rookies, I'd venture to say he barely cared about the draft at all really. He probably had a list of potential guys, as everyone does, but the draft was all Mayock, imo. 

Very interesting.

Yeah, after randomly looking up Amari Cooper’s combine video on YouTube after looking at this thread and hearing Rich Eisen call him out a bit after he hyped Cooper as he ran his 40 about having Kevin White higher than him. Then, I actually googled to fact check and he had Kevin White over Amari Cooper from his first (1.0) position rankings till his last (5.0). Kevin had a great final year at WVU and I don’t wanna crap on him cause there is hindsight involved, but I didn’t really understand it when that draft happened cause you’re taking the player who is much less nuanced and didn’t face the same competition level. It just seemed like overthinking it even back then, but people fall in love with H/W/S, so I guess I kinda get it. 

This brings up an interesting discussion that I’ve heard someone mention is if Mike Mayock came back to NFL Network how would your opinion on his takes change now that we saw him in that GM chair. I think it would be a good idea for a thread with the draft coming up for NFL Gen or the draft sub if you want to take the idea. I could see him going back after he takes a break, but he’s definitely not getting that lead draft analyst spot back from Daniel Jeremiah now.

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Ah okay. I was just curious cause I thought I had remembered Raiders fans or NFL media kind of saying/thinking that Gruden had a big hand in the war room maybe compared to other coaches. I mean every teams situation is different. There is a collaborative approach, but some organizations the coach might have more say. Like I can point to Eagles picks over the decade where the coaches influenced a pick like most recently the coaching staff with Reagor being the better fit for the offense.

Very interesting.

Yeah, after randomly looking up Amari Cooper’s combine video on YouTube after looking at this thread and hearing Rich Eisen call him out a bit after he hyped Cooper as he ran his 40 about having Kevin White higher than him. Then, I actually googled to fact check and he had Kevin White over Amari Cooper from his first (1.0) position rankings till his last (5.0). Kevin had a great final year at WVU and I don’t wanna crap on him cause there is hindsight involved, but I didn’t really understand it when that draft happened cause you’re taking the player who is much less nuanced and didn’t face the same competition level. It just seemed like overthinking it even back then, but people fall in love with H/W/S, so I guess I kinda get it. 

This brings up an interesting discussion that I’ve heard someone mention is if Mike Mayock came back to NFL Network how would your opinion on his takes change now that we saw him in that GM chair. I think it would be a good idea for a thread with the draft coming up for NFL Gen or the draft sub if you want to take the idea. I could see him going back after he takes a break, but he’s definitely not getting that lead draft analyst spot back from Daniel Jeremiah now.

1. A lot of folks thought that. Heck, it was basically a foregone conclusion for many (myself included) until Mayock basically owned the Arnette pick despite Gruden being long gone and knowing he himself was on the hot seat. There was certainly some level of partnership there, but our drafts were terrible thanks to both of them. Gruden was never good at drafting. Mayock is ok at noticing needs but can't evaluate talent to save his life. 

2. Mine wouldn't really, but I was never a fan to begin with. I used to religiously buy every single draft magazine out there. Over the last few years though, I've saved the money and just did my own scouting (if I even did any). Most of the draft analysts are either repeating the same thing over and over again and hoping their spitball sticks or just making contrarian hot takes for clicks. Mayock strikes me as the latter. 

13 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

• Amari Cooper's 3 Dallas playoff games combined for 28 targets, 18 catches, 235 receiving yards and 2 TDs with an elite postseason Receiver Rating of 117.4. 

✓ Which = 149 targets, 96 receptions (64.4% Catch Rate Percentage), 1,253 Receiving Yards and 10.6 TDs per 16 game season with an elite Receiver Rating of 117.4.

Projecting 3 games into a full season is beyond crazy dude. Watch some YouTube videos on mathematics, please 

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

My charts said they could do this. Ask @Matts4313 You have me on the wrong side of this.

Pretty sure he was joking with you bud. @DefenseWinsChampionships in tears that the Cowboys did exactly what everyone said they would. Straight from cap hell, to keeping hof te Schultz all in the matter of minutes. How did they do it?

elmo.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

My charts said they could do this. Ask @Matts4313 You have me on the wrong side of this.

YOU’RE THE DEVIL!!!

not a christian dark sided GIF

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Pretty sure he was joking with you bud. @DefenseWinsChampionships in tears that the Cowboys did exactly what everyone said they would. Straight from cap hell, to keeping hof te Schultz all in the matter of minutes. How did they do it?

elmo.jpg

YOU’RE THE SUPER DEVIL!

Child Devil GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

elmo.jpg

I'll admit. I was wrong. Only on Dalton Schultz. I didn't think your team could do it. 

And I was going to leave it alone but since a lot of you Dallas fans want to continue tagging me?

Let's see if I'm wrong about Amari Cooper/DeMarcus Lawrence/Randy Gregory/Michael Gallup because if not?

That means I went 4/5 (80%) in my prediction and right now I see your cap space is @ 23,649,684 over the cap (so good luck). 

PS: You guys over paid for Dalton Schultz and he's not worth his TE contract (your words, not mine). 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSND54l_JAoiOQFW0_bGoC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

PS: You guys over paid for Dalton Schultz and he's not worth his TE contract (your words, not mine). 

A little. I told you 8-10m, we are paying him 11. I still would preferred we let him walk and collected the comp pick. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

A little. I told you 8-10m, we are paying him 11. I still would preferred we let him walk and collected the comp pick. 

Cool and fyi I've always been on the Trey McBride train.

Because before I even (ever) talked up Dalton Schultz as my potential FA TE target? I had already created multiple mock drafts with Trey McBride at either 36th overall or 38th overall. 

And also made it known that even if we did land Dalton Schultz? I still wanted Trey McBride baby. 

2021 = 90 Receptions for 1,121 Receiving Yards.

Kid is going to become an NFL freak of nature beast TE. 

And there's no way he'll make it past the Jets @ 36th/38th overall (I think your Cowboys did my Jets a big time favor).

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

2 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I'll admit. I was wrong. Only on Dalton Schultz. I didn't think your team could do it. 

And I was going to leave it alone but since a lot of you Dallas fans want to continue tagging me?

Let's see if I'm wrong about Amari Cooper/DeMarcus Lawrence/Randy Gregory/Michael Gallup because if not?

That means I went 4/5 (80%) in my prediction and right now I see your cap space is @ 23,649,684 over the cap (so good luck). 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSND54l_JAoiOQFW0_bGoC

Settle down playboi.  None are as good as Keith Rivers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adamq said:

Projecting 3 games into a full season is beyond crazy dude. Watch some YouTube videos on mathematics, please 

Well I know common sense and I don't believe it's a coincidence that Amari Cooper has been (by far) the Cowboys best WR come postseason play. 

Vs. Seattle = 9 targets, 7 receptions, 106 receiving yards. 

Vs. Rams = 9 targets, 6 receptions, 65 receiving yards, 1 TD. 

Vs. 49ers = 10 targets, 6 receptions, 64 receiving yards, 1 TD. 

All 3 postseason playoff games combined = an elite Receiver Rating of 117.4. 

And Dak Prescott while targeting all other WRs (not named Amari Cooper) has been absolutely atrocious throughout his 3 playoff games; Amari Cooper is elite. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships