2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

31 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d feel really good going into the draft with a Hunter, Smith, Wonnum trio at edge, assuming they are all healthy which is a big if. Seems CB would be the safe bet for day 1 at this point since CB doesn’t seem to a FA priority yet. 

Is it just me or does anyone else hope we get JC Tretter instead. Smith is great when he’s healthy but JC Tretter fills a bigger need in my opinion. We already have Hunter & Wonnum as edge rushers, why spend the rest of our money on Smith? I don’t get what KAM’s plan is. I would rather we sign Tretter and then draft CB/Edge in the first two rounds. 

• Like 1

Just now, Purplepride323 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else hope we get JC Tretter instead. Smith is great when he’s healthy but JC Tretter fills a bigger need in my opinion. We already have Hunter & Wonnum as edge rushers, why spend the rest of our money on Smith? I don’t get what KAM’s plan is. I would rather we sign Tretter and then draft CB/Edge in the first two rounds. 

I'm all in a Smith over a Tretter.  Yes, Bradbury has his weaknesses, but I still think they can get by with him and maybe draft someone else to push him rather than sign a 31-yr old.  They need massive help on the defensive side of the ball and Wonnum and Hunter isn't enough at edge...especially when neither one has played in a 3-4 in college or pro.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm all in a Smith over a Tretter.  Yes, Bradbury has his weaknesses, but I still think they can get by with him and maybe draft someone else to push him rather than sign a 31-yr old.  They need massive help on the defensive side of the ball and Wonnum and Hunter isn't enough at edge...especially when neither one has played in a 3-4 in college or pro.  

I'm fairly confident wonnum had some stand up rusher experience in college.  Same for Robinson.  I'd 100% take tretter over smith if we had to choose. He is essentially the #2 pass blocking center every year...I can't even imagine how nice that would be in the middle lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heavydan85 said:

I'm fairly confident wonnum had some stand up rusher experience in college.  Same for Robinson.  I'd 100% take tretter over smith if we had to choose. He is essentially the #2 pass blocking center every year...I can't even imagine how nice that would be in the middle lol 

As piss-poor as we seem to think our pass-blocking was, according to Football Outsiders, the Vikings' OL was the 3rd best in pass protection last year in the entire NFL.  They indicate that it was our run-blocking was where we failed.  And if you go into the details further, the middle of the line was middle of the pack in the NFL.  In the end, it was the RG spot that was the biggest weakness, not Bradbury.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, SemperFeist said:

This is where I'll need to learn the nuances of the new scheme. Those mostly seem like alignments that Tomlinson can play in a 3-4 as well. 

Was Phillips signed as a rotational piece for those alignments and we'll have different players at the 5T spots?

What would our base defense down lineman be today?

5T - Tomlinson - 5T

ZaDarius Smith was going to sign a 4 years $35 million with a max value of $50 million contract with the Ravens and I assume he did not go there because it was not enough money.

How the hell do the Vikings have enough money to sign a contract bigger than that one because my guess is they do not.  I would rather have Wonnum as the other edge and see if Robinson can grow into it or Surratt which is what he did in college rush off the edge.  They could also draft a dude possibly as well to help with the edge rush.

Just not sure how much money they actually have available.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

ZaDarius Smith was going to sign a 4 years $35 million with a max value of $50 million contract with the Ravens and I assume he did not go there because it was not enough money.

How the hell do the Vikings have enough money to sign a contract bigger than that one because my guess is they do not.  I would rather have Wonnum as the other edge and see if Robinson can grow into it or Surratt which is what he did in college rush off the edge.  They could also draft a dude possibly as well to help with the edge rush.

Just not sure how much money they actually have available.  

I don’t think the cap truly matters anymore with how these contracts are structured.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t think the cap truly matters anymore with how these contracts are structured.

Yeah. New Orleans was $50MM over and then were in the running for the predator who got $46MM per year. It’s all an illusion.