2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

Jesse Davis might get out played for a starting spot, but there aren’t many backups around the league who are going to be better or provide as much flexibility, let alone come in cheaper.

Jesse Davis isn’t getting cut. 

Edited by SemperFeist

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems logical to spend what’s left, which seems somewhat meaningful, on a decent CB. Maybe that’s an after the draft type move at this stage. 

The team doesn’t have as much space as you may think. 

~$5M for rookies
~$2M for practice squad
And they’ll need some on hand for in-season signings. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

~$5M for rookies
~$2M for practice squad

Was thinking around $5-7m for a CB if they can squeeze that. Not sure if that is enough for Peterson.

53 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Was thinking around $5-7m for a CB if they can squeeze that. Not sure if that is enough for Peterson.

That's too much for Peterson for my liking.
I would be surprised if we put even $5M on the current cap, for any player ahead of the start of the season.
Definitely possible that KAM is generally content with the roster (one way or another) ahead of the draft.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

~$5M for rookies
~$2M for practice squad

They could also restructure Eric Kendricks to provide an additional ~4M.

So I really really think they need to add at least 1 more boundary cb so they are not backed into a corner come the draft and have to reach for a need pick.

Right now you have Dantzer, Boyd and Hand, who can play boundary.

Sullivan and Hairston are more slot guys. Tye Smith shouldn't even make the team.

So at a minimum, one boundary FA CB, and one boundary CB draft pick. 

I feel comfortable everywhere else. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

So I really really think they need to add at least 1 more boundary cb so they are not backed into a corner come the draft and have to reach for a need pick.

Right now you have Dantzer, Boyd and Hand, who can play boundary.

Sullivan and Hairston are more slot guys. Tye Smith shouldn't even make the team.

So at a minimum, one boundary FA CB, and one boundary CB draft pick. 

I feel comfortable everywhere else. 

I tend to agree with this. I wouldn’t mind a JC Tretter signing, but would definitely like to see a boundary CB signed.

the following are some options per Viking’s.com:

As of 3-14-2022

The following cornerbacks are listed in order of their overall rankings: 2. J.C. Jackson, 4. Carlton Davis, 13. Stephon Gilmore, 38. D.J. Reed, 40. Darious Williams, 48. Rasul Douglas, 49. Bryce Callahan, 61. Casey Heyward, 66. Donte Jackson, 75. Peterson, 83. Charvarius Ward, 86. Kevin King and 95. Joe Haden.

https://www.vikings.com/news/patrick-peterson-harrison-smith-2022-free-agency-cornerbacks-safeties

Any interest in these players? Who could we afford (with Kendricks restructure)? 

4 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I tend to agree with this. I wouldn’t mind a JC Tretter signing, but would definitely like to see a boundary CB signed.

the following are some options per Viking’s.com:

As of 3-14-2022

The following cornerbacks are listed in order of their overall rankings: 2. J.C. Jackson, 4. Carlton Davis, 13. Stephon Gilmore, 38. D.J. Reed, 40. Darious Williams, 48. Rasul Douglas, 49. Bryce Callahan, 61. Casey Heyward, 66. Donte Jackson, 75. Peterson, 83. Charvarius Ward, 86. Kevin King and 95. Joe Haden.

https://www.vikings.com/news/patrick-peterson-harrison-smith-2022-free-agency-cornerbacks-safeties

Any interest in these players? Who could we afford (with Kendricks restructure)? 

7 of these guys have already signed.

My preference is Steven Nelson. They can go Kevin King on the cheap with the Pettine connection. Gilmore they don't have the cap space for. Heyward was good last year but he's pretty old. Bringing Peterson back is an option but I think he needs to lower his price point.

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

7 of these guys have already signed.

My preference is Steven Nelson. They can go Kevin King on the cheap with the Pettine connection. Gilmore they don't have the cap space for. Heyward was good last year but he's pretty old. Bringing Peterson back is an option but I think he needs to lower his price point.

I figured a lot these guys had signed already. Thanks for the update (I was too lazy to go look). 

Steven Nelson

Originally a 2015 3rd round pick of the Kansas City Chiefs, the listed 5’11”, 194 pound veteran cornerback has also played with the Pittsburgh Steelers (2019-20) and most recently, the Philadelphia Eagles (2021) organizations—with 84 career starts.

During 16 starts for the Eagles in 2021, the 29 year old corner recorded 50 tackles (34 solo), 7 passes defensed, and an interception.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2022/3/13/22975408/colts-noted-as-one-team-to-watch-for-eagles-free-agent-cb-steven-nelson