2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

2 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Call it the Kirk Cousins effect

The full Kirk Cousins effect, would be the Vikings extending him again next off-season (March 2023), because they can't/won't replace him with a high draft pick (because they/if deemed the price tag of 3 1st rounders to move up from the late teens draft pick into the top 5 (in March 2023), to secure one of the QBs they are highly interested in.

• Like 1

This Reed signing is interesting, I do not know much about the guy but seems like a decent get and I am sure he is pretty cheap.  Sucks they did not get Forrest Lamp he signed with the Saints and I would assume for more money.  Jesse Davis was also pretty cheap and both could provide an answer to guard so now they have three options with Wyatt Davis, Jesse Davis and Chris Reed.  Not bad and I would assume Udoh is the backup RT and sure can compete at OG but doubt he wins it.  And Parris is an interesting developmental tackle not to mention an backup center that could be decent and is familiar with the OL coach.  

LT Christian Darrisaw / Blake Brandel

LG Ezra Cleveland / Wyatt Davis / Kyle Hinton

C Garrett Bradbury / Austin Schlottmann

RG Jesse Davis / Chris Reed /Olisaemeka Udoh

RT Brian O'Neill / Olisaemeka Udoh / Timon Parris

As odd as it is to say not an awful group and they have multiple options at the key issue RG, just a matter of who steps up and takes it.  The bad thing, is Wyatt Davis that bad where they need to sign two guards in free agency?  I hope not but will see.  They usually keep what 8-10 OL so Hinton is cut and possibly Udoh unless he shows something.

• Like 1

Considering no one on the staff has seen or worked with Wyatt Davis (except McCardell, who probably didn’t see him while he was working with the WRs), I don’t think these signings indicate anything about him. Just covering bases cheaply. 

9 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Considering no one on the staff has seen or worked with Wyatt Davis (except McCardell, who probably didn’t see him while he was working with the WRs), I don’t think these signings indicate anything about him. Just covering bases cheaply. 

Maybe that is the case but either way considering Ezra Cleveland is the other starting guard, you basically have four guys competing for one spot, and two were recently brought in.  Not a huge vote of confidence for Wyatt Davis.  Jesse Davis alone has started a shocking 72 of 80 total games played in the last five years 16, 15, 15, 16 and 10 his first year in terms of starts.   

Great depth though considering what they used to have at guard the last few years.

Udoh, Dozier, Elflein, Kline and Mike Remmers.  I hated Josh Kline so much when they got him, damn he sucked and 3 years $15 million dollar contract, what a freaking joke.  Crazy thing is the years before the Titans paid him even more than the Vikings did.  Obviously the guy got hurt or whatever because they cut him and he never finished that contract but still I hated that signing so at least these moves the Vikings are making give them depth and potential starters for a need position.  

These experienced Guard signings lead me to believe they won’t be looking at IOL as a day one or day two need. I’m fine with that and a real quick look at the roster shows the team has spent early picks on the OL so it may be time to just let those young guys settle in. Bradbury is really an unknown, not sure what the staff will do with him but I’d anticipate they will give him a year and reassess in 2023. Could definitely see a Center drafted day 3 though. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

I agree with front staff not really addressing OL on day 1 as these cheap-vet-depth signing have come on board. One thing that likely won’t change, is the abundance of pressure that Cousins faces right up the middle. There is only minimal effect that ‘new offense scheming’ can have on hiding OL deficiencies. Despite a good offence, we could lead (or be close) the league in 3 & outs again this year, especially as that middle pocket breakdowns. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

These experienced Guard signings lead me to believe they won’t be looking at IOL as a day one or day two need. I’m fine with that and a real quick look at the roster shows the team has spent early picks on the OL so it may be time to just let those young guys settle in. Bradbury is really an unknown, not sure what the staff will do with him but I’d anticipate they will give him a year and reassess in 2023. Could definitely see a Center drafted day 3 though. 

Yeah I could see them maybe getting a center later but agreed with the OL additions in free agency it is less of a need.  I would say the biggest needs right now are as follows.

CB, TE, S, C

Corner is an obvious but TE could be a big need especially if they want to use multiple TE sets and who knows if Irv Smith is even healthy and his contract is soon coming up.  Maybe Ellefson or Davidson will show out and develop but still I think it could be a need.  

If Jordan Davis falls to them not sure they pass on him though especially if Stingley Jr and Gardner are both gone which they should be.  Then get a CB 2nd round in Booth, Woolen, Taylor-Britt or Gordon.  Maybe a developmental OT might be in the mix but they do have Parris who is a decent developmental player.  

Udoh is most likely moving back to a swing tackle role, probably the top option to replace Rashad Hill. 

At this point, my educated guess is that Jesse Davis will be competing with Wyatt Davis for the right guard spot. Jesse Davis has 30 games experience at right guard, with 29 starts, and has performed adequately in that position. If Jesse Davis can provide an adequate option at right guard, it should lead to a positive competition with the floor from last year being raised. 

Chris Reed looks like Mason Cole’s replacement and a possible surprise replacement for Bradbury if the struggles continue. 

• Like 2

So far I give this Vikings offseason a B grade. I like the new front office guys we’ve added like KAM, O’Connell, and Donatell. I like the Smith and Jordan Hicks additions. I like that we brought back Patrick Peterson. I even like that we got Kirk on a new contract that’s a little more team friendly. 

With all the moves we’ve made in free agency I think we’re pretty set and ready for the draft. Only one player left that I hope we re-sign is Sheldon Richardson. He played really well last year in place of Everson Griffen. A D-Line consisting of Tomlinson- Phillips- Richardson would be nice.

Edited by Purplepride323

1 hour ago, Purplepride323 said:

So far I give this Vikings offseason a B grade. I like the new front office guys we’ve added like KAM, O’Connell, and Donatell. I like the Smith and Jordan Hicks additions. I like that we brought back Patrick Peterson. I even like that we got Kirk on a new contract that’s a little more team friendly. 

With all the moves we’ve made in free agency I think we’re pretty set and ready for the draft. Only one player left that I hope we re-sign is Sheldon Richardson. He played really well last year in place of Everson Griffen. A D-Line consisting of Tomlinson- Phillips- Richardson would be nice.

What gives the offseason a B for you? It seems like you like everything they have done