2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That contract, to me, suggests they see him as a backup. Your Mason Cole replacement. 

I hope/think that Chris Reed beats out Jessie for the starting RG spot (assuming Wyatt Davis doesn’t factor Into starter role either). Hence why I was a bit surprised by Jessie’s contract when I initially saw it. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, Purplepride323 said:

B is a favorable grade. I just stated the things that I liked. That doesn’t mean I liked everything they have done. Also the offseason isn’t done yet, so this is grading their moves so far. With a few key signings (Richardson) and a solid draft (Stingley/Gardner) I would give it a higher grade. But like I said, a B is a high grade and good enough to keep me happy as a fan. If your question is what I didn’t like, I would say not getting an elite RG like Scherff. However I don’t think the cap is a myth and I understand that we can’t get everybody. It is what it is. Hopefully Chris Reed or one of the Davis’ step up and help solidify the IOL. 

I'd like Chris Reed at Centre and Wyatt Davis at RG (assuming W. Davis will report to Camp in shape, and play well in the preseason).  I think that The Vikings have pushed so much Cap spending into 2023 and 2024, that they don't want to add any more to those years or following years, when they'll have to pay Justin Jefferson almost as much as they are paying Cousins now.  They COULD, potentially do that by adjusting the last 2 long-time veterans' contracts (Kendricks, and one other).  But, I don't think they want to spend $10+ Million on Trettor, and maybe $8 Million on Richardson, and still fail to go far in the playoffs with this old team that most likely won't be a true Super Bowl contender this or next season.  They've added to the roster enough, with whatever help they can get from the draft, to be "respectable".  But, adding 2 more solid (but costly) veterans will not make enough difference to warrant losing more big chunks of cap room during their upcoming re-tooling period, when they'll really need as much cap space as possible to take a legitimate run at winning it all with their new, young franchise QB on his low-cost contract, during their 4 or 5-year window for accomplishing that.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I hope/think that Chris Reed beats out Jessie for the starting RG spot (assuming Wyatt Davis doesn’t factor Into starter role either). Hence why I was a bit surprised by Jessie’s contract when I initially saw it. 

Jesse Davis has significantly outplayed Reed at RG, and he has far more experience. I doubt Reed is seen as a part of the RG competition. 

You don’t sign a player like Jesse Davis to compete with another outside free agent. The team obviously has a belief that someone one the roster, likely Wyatt Davis or Oli Udoh, has the ability to earn the starting job in a competition with a veteran. Otherwise the team would have simply signed a more established starting level guard and forgone the competition. 

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure that is the best idea, Tomlinson was the NT on the Giants and did quite well there, arguably better than he did last year in a 4/3 as a DT.  I would say he is in the middle and Phillips outside of him and I assume Watts on the other side or James Lynch.  

Real interesting will be Twyman and where he plays, could be a great 3/4 DE as a pass rusher, and Willekes not sure how he fits in or Patrick Jones.  Willekes might have the athletic ability to play OLB but not sure Jones does.  Robinson I assume would be a OLB as well along with Surratt.  

Good thing one has DJ Wonnum because Z. Smith will get hurt next year at some point.  

Tomlinson also played RDE in the 3-4 with the Giants as well. It was only when they moved Snacks to the Lions that Tomlinson was moved to NT.   Tomlinson will be fine. 

Edited by swede700

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Tomlinson also played RDE in the 3-4 with the Giants as well. It was only when they moved Snacks to the Lions that Tomlinson was moved to NT.   Tomlinson will be fine. 

I agree. I think it's also, what the player wants to do. Pierce didn't want to stay because he didn't want to two gap. Phillips was signed specifically because he is good with two gapping. Phillips is going to be the 0 tech.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I liked him the little he played on the 49ers, could be a strong 3/4 DE and has the size for it that is for sure and is not really a risk if he does not turn out.  

I assume Tomlinson is the NT but if they draft Jordan Davis he would be the other DE opposite Harrison Phillips or maybe they want to try Phillips as the NT.  

Davis is probably a NT in a 3-4. I've seen him be compared athletically to Vita Vea.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Davis is probably a NT in a 3-4. I've seen him be compared athletically to Vita Vea.

Based on his size alone, if the Vikings would draft him, yes, they'd probably put him at NT and move Phillips back outside to the DE opposite of Tomlinson.   I've seen him also compared to John Henderson...

U5tIfp.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I would agree with that if they draft Jordan Davis no question he is the NT but as it is right now I think Tomlinson should be the NT but will see.  

• Like 1

If we have one more big move in FA before the draft I'd love for the Vikings to bring in OBJ - he has experience in the system with plenty left in the tank and would give us a dominant WR trio.

He got better and better for the Rams and was excellent in the playoffs.

according to over the cap we're sitting at 12m in cap space I wonder if we could get him on a 2 year deal we would have enough space to get a deal done?

Edit: Oh boy.... forgot about his ACL tear in the SB, that would explain why he's gone unsigned.

Edited by viking

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wouldn't worry about the WR position until next season. By then, Bisi Johnson's contract will be up and Thielen will might be getting ready for his last season in the NFL.

Bisi is not likely to make the team even this year, so using him as a reason to not draft a receiver this year isn't a great reason. Same with Thielen's age. He is 31 this year, so it could very well happen where he falls off a cliff. ISM is an unknown, and Osborn seems average. If anything happened to JJ, we would not be in good shape. WR is low key a need for us, imo. I'm not saying use 1st rounder, but i could definitely see us draft one in the mid rounds.

10 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Bisi is not likely to make the team even this year, so using him as a reason to not draft a receiver this year isn't a great reason. Same with Thielen's age. He is 31 this year, so it could very well happen where he falls off a cliff. ISM is an unknown, and Osborn seems average. If anything happened to JJ, we would not be in good shape. WR is low key a need for us, imo. I'm not saying use 1st rounder, but i could definitely see us draft one in the mid rounds.

I know the new staff has no history with him, but Johnson is the same type of possession receiver as Thielen, or rather, he's a poor mans Adam Thielen. As a #4 or #5 option, that's perfectly fine and if he can provide anything on Special Teams, he probably should make the roster. His only competition is Dan Chisena who is a Special Teams player only.

If it comes down to those two, give me Bisi Johnson every time.

We could use one of those late round picks on a WR who would just be stashed on the practice squad perhaps?

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wouldn't worry about the WR position until next season. By then, Bisi Johnson's contract will be up and Thielen will might be getting ready for his last season in the NFL.

Why wouldn't you worry about adding weapons to an offense?

We're one Jefferson injury away from a bottom 10 offense.

Bisi is a non factor. He shouldn't br a starter on an NFL team let alone be the reason you don't sign or draft a great receiver.

Next season we're not going to be running a 2WR offense we need more weapons