2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

3 hours ago, viking said:

Why wouldn't you worry about adding weapons to an offense?

We're one Jefferson injury away from a bottom 10 offense.

Bisi is a non factor. He shouldn't br a starter on an NFL team let alone be the reason you don't sign or draft a great receiver.

Next season we're not going to be running a 2WR offense we need more weapons

Wide Receiver probably isn't a priority for us. Even without Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn should be fine as the main starters, Johnson filled in nicely as a #3 in his first two years and ISM showed some flash too.

And besides them, Cook, Mattison and Irv Smith should all be productive players for us.

More weapons would be nice, but with limited cap space and draft resources, I think we'd be better off waiting until next season to look into adding more receiver talent.

3 hours ago, viking said:

Why wouldn't you worry about adding weapons to an offense?

We're one Jefferson injury away from a bottom 10 offense.

Bisi is a non factor. He shouldn't br a starter on an NFL team let alone be the reason you don't sign or draft a great receiver.

Next season we're not going to be running a 2WR offense we need more weapons

WR is the deepest position in the draft and in the league, currently. We have two top-flight options already. KJ Osborne showed flashes of being a very capable WR, and young WR's typically make their biggest jump between their 2nd and 3rd years. ISM showed similar flashes. Thielen is going to be very productive for at least a couple more seasons because his game isn't predicated on burning CB's; it's creating separation and running great routes. On top of that, we have Irv Smith Jr. coming back. So for this year, WR should be a very low priority in the first round. Kirk was excellent last year with the weapons around him (which didn't include Irv). This year we're going to have an innovative mind in charge of the offense; something we didn't have last year. 

Looking at the best WR's in the league, few were drafted in the first round.

Davante Adams - 2nd Round; Cooper Kupp - 2nd Round; Deebo Samuel - 2nd Round; Stefon Diggs - 5th Round; Tyreek Hill - 5th Round; D.K. Metcalf - 2nd Round

Lockett, Godwin, Renfrow, A.J. Brown, McLaurin, Pittman, Keenan Allen, Darnell Mooney, Allen Robinson, etc. etc. all outside of the first round.

If there's a CB, EDGE, DT that they have graded as high or higher than an available WR, that should absolutely be the first round pick.

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wouldn't worry about the WR position until next season. By then, Bisi Johnson's contract will be up and Thielen will might be getting ready for his last season in the NFL.

I doubt Bisi even makes the roster this year.  Hell, if he didn't get injured last year, I think he was already on the short list of those players that had an uphill battle to make the roster then.

Edited by swede700

26 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

WR is the deepest position in the draft and in the league, currently. We have two top-flight options already. KJ Osborne showed flashes of being a very capable WR, and young WR's typically make their biggest jump between their 2nd and 3rd years. ISM showed similar flashes. Thielen is going to be very productive for at least a couple more seasons because his game isn't predicated on burning CB's; it's creating separation and running great routes. On top of that, we have Irv Smith Jr. coming back. So for this year, WR should be a very low priority in the first round. Kirk was excellent last year with the weapons around him (which didn't include Irv). This year we're going to have an innovative mind in charge of the offense; something we didn't have last year. 

Looking at the best WR's in the league, few were drafted in the first round.

Davante Adams - 2nd Round; Cooper Kupp - 2nd Round; Deebo Samuel - 2nd Round; Stefon Diggs - 5th Round; Tyreek Hill - 5th Round; D.K. Metcalf - 2nd Round

Lockett, Godwin, Renfrow, A.J. Brown, McLaurin, Pittman, Keenan Allen, Darnell Mooney, Allen Robinson, etc. etc. all outside of the first round.

If there's a CB, EDGE, DT that they have graded as high or higher than an available WR, that should absolutely be the first round pick.

I think you need to take off your purple tinted glasses when looking at our weapons. We have one top flight receiver in JJ. Thielen is often injured, hasn't had 1000 yards in 4 (!!) seasons - clearly his best days are behind him. I can see a couple more seasons of being great in the redzone but he can only really be relied on to be a solid WR2

Irv smith hasn't done anything in the league and is coming off a serious knee injury, hasn't topped over 400 yards in a season even before the injury

KJ Osbourne and ISM are both intriguing and did flash some promise last year. Why should an NFL team bank on two 5th round receivers to round out the recieving core? WRs are the 2nd most important position on offense, why risk having bad receivers.

So from a realistic perspective we've got 1 legit threat, 2 often injured guys and 2 wild card late round guys. I don't know why on earth that would stop us from adding a 2nd protentional WR1 to the offense.

If the top 3 corners are there at 12 we take one. If they aren't I see no problem in grabbing Williams or Wilson at 12 they would both give our offense the opportunity to go to the next level. Love their explosiveness, shiftiness and home run threat ability.

Right now we have 4 guys (JJ, Thielen, KJ + ISM) to run our new 3 WR system. We have almost no depth and really only one great player at WR

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not drafting a WR at 12 =\= Not drafting a WR. 

exactly, this.

If the player doesn't meet the value, don't draft him, it's simple. don't force it. 2nd round is RIPE as well for WR value. Hell, I really like some receivers that will probably go in the 3rd this year too.

I do agree we probably need another weapon. I also think we need another TE weapon but this TE class is not really good at all. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I doubt Bisi even makes the roster this year.  Hell, if he didn't get injured last year, I think he was already on the short list of those players that had an uphill battle to make the roster then.

Who would've taken his spot?

If anything, maybe Johnson makes Westbrook expendable. Sure, Westbrook was the PR, but he was very average at it. My guess is ISM would have taken that role.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

WR isn't a position that you must spend a premium on in the draft to get a playmaker early. 

But WR is turning into a position where a playmaker is going to cost an extreme premium. Therefore the surplus value of drafting 1 in the first and hitting is the rationale for doing it.

13 minutes ago, viking said:

I think you've been spoilt with Diggs being a 5th rounder and Thielen being undrafted. If you need a play maker you go get one.

And it’s very evident that you aren’t seeing where the actual playmakers are being taken. 

This isn’t a case where there are 1 or 2 outliers being taken out of the 1st round. The majority of the league’s top receivers were not drafted in the 1st round. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And it’s very evident that you aren’t seeing where the actual playmakers are being taken. 

This isn’t a case where there are 1 or 2 outliers being taken out of the 1st round. The majority of the league’s top receivers were not drafted in the 1st round. 

1st round picks in 2021 32 picks

2nd-7th round total picks 227 picks

It's very evident that you don't understand how the draft works - it's easy to think "that's not where the play makers are being taken" because there are so many later round draft picks. 

I know this is why you're getting confused on where you should draft players, it's easy to fall into this mistake don't worry. By your logic you shouldn't draft a QB highly either? Brady, Prescot, Carr, Cousins, Wilson all later round picks?

The best players in the NFL get drafted in the first round. If there are no top corners at 12 we need another play maker .... so take the best one.... in the first round.

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

You think WRs are basically the new RBs?

That's the opposite of the point.

WRs are so valuable and are getting paid as such.

Hitting on a WR in the first gives you such a large cap saving that can be spent else where.

RBs are paid almost nothing

Hitting on a RB in the first gives you hardly any cap saving.

• Like 1