2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

23 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Who would've taken his spot?

If anything, maybe Johnson makes Westbrook expendable. Sure, Westbrook was the PR, but he was very average at it. My guess is ISM would have taken that role.

Westbrook was signed 5 days before Johnson tore his ACL.  Either way, Johnson and Westbrook aren't even close to the same receiver.  Johnson is pretty much strictly a possession receiver and doesn't really offer anything in the way of special teams, so he never would have made Westbrook expendable.  It was going to be an uphill battle regardless, especially with McCardell's familiarity with Westbrook and the fact that Gary Kubiak wasn't there to defend him (he would have had Klint, but I'm not sure how much pull he would have had). 

4 hours ago, viking said:

I think you need to take off your purple tinted glasses when looking at our weapons. We have one top flight receiver in JJ. Thielen is often injured, hasn't had 1000 yards in 4 (!!) seasons - clearly his best days are behind him. I can see a couple more seasons of being great in the redzone but he can only really be relied on to be a solid WR2

Irv smith hasn't done anything in the league and is coming off a serious knee injury, hasn't topped over 400 yards in a season even before the injury

KJ Osbourne and ISM are both intriguing and did flash some promise last year. Why should an NFL team bank on two 5th round receivers to round out the recieving core? WRs are the 2nd most important position on offense, why risk having bad receivers.

So from a realistic perspective we've got 1 legit threat, 2 often injured guys and 2 wild card late round guys. I don't know why on earth that would stop us from adding a 2nd protentional WR1 to the offense.

If the top 3 corners are there at 12 we take one. If they aren't I see no problem in grabbing Williams or Wilson at 12 they would both give our offense the opportunity to go to the next level. Love their explosiveness, shiftiness and home run threat ability.

Right now we have 4 guys (JJ, Thielen, KJ + ISM) to run our new 3 WR system. We have almost no depth and really only one great player at WR

It isn’t “purple tinted glasses.” It’s objectively observing the strengths and weaknesses of the team as they stand now. WR isn’t it. And it doesn’t matter if someone “might” get injured. Hunter “might” get injured again. Cousins “might” get injured. Patrick Peterson is our best CB right now. That’s a huge problem. And he “might” get injured too. Then we’d really be in complete disarray. 

And if you’re drafting “depth” with your first round pick, you’re doing it wrong. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

It isn’t “purple tinted glasses.” It’s objectively observing the strengths and weaknesses of the team as they stand now. WR isn’t it. And it doesn’t matter if someone “might” get injured. Hunter “might” get injured again. Cousins “might” get injured. Patrick Peterson is our best CB right now. That’s a huge problem. And he “might” get injured too. Then we’d really be in complete disarray. 

Not to mention that WR is super deep in this draft, so there is that context also.

• Like 1

I'm okay if it turns out that a WR is the BPA in the 1st round, however, it certainly isn't at the top of my list.  And WR isn't super deep, especially as compared to the last couple of years, but you can certainly still get a pretty good WR in the 3rd rd.  

As far as the depth on the team, it's certainly better than when Charles Johnson was a starting WR, but it's not an extremely deep position on the current roster.  I think the top 3 WRs are just fine, but those are pretty much all that can really be counted on at this point.  Maybe ISM makes a big jump like Osborn did last year, but we shouldn't expect it.  And there isn't another one on the roster that is even close to being a significant contributor.

While WR isn't a significant need yet, it should still be an option and on the radar.  Thielen, in all likelihood is gone after 2023. So there should be some preparation for his exit.  It doesn't have to be a first rounder, but it can be, if that's the BPA.  If they plan on running more 11 personnel than the 12 they have been running, they need bodies.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Is it really tho? I don’t think it really is as much as some people are pumping out

I think the receiver class is relatively deep in regards to what you’d normally get between the second half of round one through round three. But this class doesn’t have that blue chip prospect. 

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

And if you’re drafting “depth” with your first round pick, you’re doing it wrong. 

I'm not saying Thielen "Might" get injured. I'm saying it's likely he gets injured at at least the rate he's been getting injured for the last 4 seasons.

I said if a top 3 corner is there we draft them.

WR2 isn't depth (if we draft Wilson or Williams). KJ and ISM is.

😃👍

32 minutes ago, viking said:

Why?

Because you indicated that the best players get drafted in the first round.  That's not true.  The best prospects get drafted in the first round, not the best players.

Often, the best players may not even get drafted at all because they don't have the right physical attributes that generally succeed at the NFL level. It's why guys like Stefon Diggs don't get drafted until the 5th round, because they don't have the right attributes or have an injury history.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because you indicated that the best players get drafted in the first round.  That's not true.  The best prospects get drafted in the first round, not the best players.

Often, the best players may not even get drafted at all because they don't have the right physical attributes that generally succeed at the NFL level. It's why guys like Stefon Diggs don't get drafted until the 5th round, because they don't have the right attributes or have an injury history.   

The majority of the top NFL players are drafted in the first round. There's 32 picks in the first round and about 8 times as many in the other rounds.... If you want a great player at a position you need to address it in the first round.

I'm finding it hard to understand how you don't understand it?

The GOAT Brady was a 6th round pick that doesn't mean you draft QBs in the 6th. If we need to address a position of need weaddress it in the first round and that's your best bet to get a great player.

Why don't you understand?

Edited by viking

9 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

We saw that your defensive backfield is only as good (or more appropriately) as BAD as your weakest link in it.  We saw that very clearly with Beshaud Breeland being targeted all season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swede700 said:

Diggs fell due to a what some considered an "attitude problem" as well.

I'll try to find the link to it.