Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

Well, tomorrow the Landon Collins money officially comes off the cap and every single excuse for their inactivity in filling out the roster will officially be dispelled. Except the impending McLaurin deal, I suppose — they seem intent on acting as though that deal is going to hit them for $20M or so on this year’s cap, which obviously it will not. 

At this juncture, if they still don’t add a couple veteran players (LB, DT, slot CB, big nickel, TE, etc.), it’s sure going to ring even more hollow when they talk about how serious they are about winning this year. Teams who intend to win do not just sit on loads of cap space when they have serious holes in their roster.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Well, tomorrow the Landon Collins money officially comes off the cap and every single excuse for their inactivity in filling out the roster will officially be dispelled. Except the impending McLaurin deal, I suppose — they seem intent on acting as though that deal is going to hit them for $20M or so on this year’s cap, which obviously it will not. 

At this juncture, if they still don’t add a couple veteran players (LB, DT, slot CB, big nickel, TE, etc.), it’s sure going to ring even more hollow when they talk about how serious they are about winning this year. Teams who intend to win do not just sit on loads of cap space when they have serious holes in their roster.

As long as the McLaurin deal happens relatively quickly after the money is "officially" there, I'll let the inactivity slide. McLaurin has to be priority one. 

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

As long as the McLaurin deal happens relatively quickly after the money is "officially" there, I'll let the inactivity slide. McLaurin has to be priority one. 

But knowing this team, there will be no deal through the season and then they will try to put together a hasty deal two weeks before FA. Then they will franchise him.

And then watch him walk 2 years later.

We've seen this movie before.

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

But knowing this team, there will be no deal through the season and then they will try to put together a hasty deal two weeks before FA. Then they will franchise him.

And then watch him walk 2 years later.

We've seen this movie before.

Smash Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 6:22 PM, Slappy Mc said:

It’s definitely priority one — but I’m not sure that lets them off the hook for sitting around and waiting on priorities two through eight. They’re professional people with loads of staff and basically unlimited time at this point of the offseason. They should be able to work on McLaurin whilst also conducting a search for a veteran rotation DT, a legit slot corner, some sort of LB/big nickel (who will legitimately play starter snaps), etc. 

One of the things that bothers me is the constant “playing poor” that comes out in the public statements from Rivera especially. Seeing them talk about trying to find a tenured LB who will take the veteran minimum to save them the bonus $400k on the cap was…pathetic. It’s just not a salary cap issue. The total cap space is not entirely clear between Spotrac and OTC, but they peg us between about $16.5M and $18.4M. That’s a load of cap space at this time in the year, the 6th most in the league. There is a lot they could do right now with that money, and none of it would hinder the McLaurin thing at all.

While their cap number is extremely manageable, they do have a very cash expensive roster, which I’m afraid is the actual problem. The difference comes from the lack of dead cap clogging up their cap number. Per OTC already footing the bill for $189M in active cash outlay this season (kind of a rough estimate of what Snyder is actually spending on players), and that’s before a McLaurin signing bonus and any other short-term deals they would sign. That’s among the top 10 most expensive rosters in 2022 spending, and it seems likely to go up. My concern is that Snyder is the one driving the desire to curtail spending due to cashflow issues.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think Washington signed LBer Joe Schobert.

I saw it over at ES. You may want to confirm this, though.

To give you an idea of how good he is? Didn't he signed a major deal with the Jags a few years ago.

For you Madden guys out there like me...

OVR76
SPD82
ACC86
STR76
AGI80
AWR82
CTH70
CAR42
THP23
KPW21
KAC18
RBK45
PBK45
TAK80
BTK20
JMP85
RET10
INJ91
STA90
TOU92
TRK33
COD75
BCV46
SFA36
SPM26
JKM35
IBL79
RBP44
RBF44
PBP44
PBF44
LBK19
BSK12
TUP10
PMV54
FMV52
BSH76
PUR85
PRC83
MCV58
ZCV70
SPC50
CIT45
SRR17
MRR7
DRR5
POW80
PRS52
RLS22
SAC6
MAC6
DAC6
PAC6
RUN6

Those are pretty good ratings for a vet. Not as fast as I like my LBers, but should be decent depth.

21 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Last update I saw on Schobert was that he was visiting the Saints on June 10,2022

It seems to me that Schobert’s problem is coverage ala Bostic. Steelers fans had Bostic before us & they had Schobert last year. While both guys are smart & great leaders of a defense, neither can cover. If we signed Schobert, he’d just be replacing Mayo’s role as a run down LB which in our defense means he may only play 1 down a series unless it’s short yardage. 

Remember the last 2 years about 70% of the snaps we went with 2 LBs (Holcomb & Jamin this year) and then the 3rd LB will be more like a SS type aka Buffalo nickel whether that’s Curl moving up to play there or Khaleke Hudson or Percy Butler.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1