Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Some personal takes on Rodgers in my attempt to unpack his thought process and agenda. I for one love Rodgers, and I will always love Rodgers, but it's no mystery the guy is prickly, has his own personal agendas, and will always have a selfish edge to him. 

After the season he went out of his way multiple times to note how Gute and the front office had really made strong efforts to include him in conversations and listen to his opinions. I think his biggest reason for that was to show everyone that he got the front office to succumb to him, and he wanted that to be known in case he DID come back (after all the talk last year that he would never play for GB again) and didn't want to appear "weak" for going back against his words. But he got the front office to bend over for him, so he can look at that as him more or less winning the battle. 

What I'm making of this new contract deal is that he wanted the Packers to leak that they were WILLING to offer him this monstrous, record breaking contract to show the world that he was worth it and to give him that "respect" he deserves. It's all about the "respect" him and Davante have said that enough times. So the numbers for this new contract start leaking around and making headlines, as he tells Mcafee those numbers are not accurate. What I thinks he does is come back and takes a "team friendly" discount to bring back a lot of his guys, taking less money so they can get their money. I think Rodgers is at that point in his career (wishful thinking) that past the point of needing the money, wants his guys to be able to look at him and thank him for helping get their money while keeping them around, but also for the world to know the Packers were in fact willing to make him the highest paid player, but in an incredibly unselfish act, he turned it down. I also find it typical Rodgers that when Mcafee was breaking the news Rodgers was returning, he had to emphasize multiple times that Rodgers seriously contemplated retirement and playing somewhere else, for dramatic effect of course. 

I prefer the way Queequeg did it in Moby **** :)

1 hour ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Some personal takes on Rodgers in my attempt to unpack his thought process and agenda. I for one love Rodgers, and I will always love Rodgers, but it's no mystery the guy is prickly, has his own personal agendas, and will always have a selfish edge to him. 

After the season he went out of his way multiple times to note how Gute and the front office had really made strong efforts to include him in conversations and listen to his opinions. I think his biggest reason for that was to show everyone that he got the front office to succumb to him, and he wanted that to be known in case he DID come back (after all the talk last year that he would never play for GB again) and didn't want to appear "weak" for going back against his words. But he got the front office to bend over for him, so he can look at that as him more or less winning the battle. 

What I'm making of this new contract deal is that he wanted the Packers to leak that they were WILLING to offer him this monstrous, record breaking contract to show the world that he was worth it and to give him that "respect" he deserves. It's all about the "respect" him and Davante have said that enough times. So the numbers for this new contract start leaking around and making headlines, as he tells Mcafee those numbers are not accurate. What I think he does is come back and takes a "team friendly" discount to bring back a lot of his guys, taking less money so they can get their money. I think Rodgers is at that point in his career (wishful thinking) that he's past the point of needing the money, wants his guys to be able to look at him and thank him for helping them get their money while keeping them around, but also for the world to know the Packers were in fact willing to make him the highest paid player, but in an incredibly unselfish act, he turned it down. I also find it typical Rodgers that when Mcafee was breaking the news Rodgers was returning, he had to emphasize multiple times that Rodgers seriously contemplated retirement and playing somewhere else, for dramatic effect of course. 

Or… Rodgers’ agent wants the world to know that so he has that feather in his cap to sign other players as clients.

I don’t think Rodgers cares and I don’t think Packers care about the money/deal. Rodgers wants control in the twilight of his career. Outside having a team that is good enough to make a Super Bowl run… he also wants guys in the building he trusts and makes work fun (Favre and Brady have talked in length about when you stay longer than everyone else it gets harder). Literally you see teammates become coaches.

Packers care about the cap and structure of the team. As much is made about the “optics” of things… I’m sure they know regardless of how bad it looks, if you win… no one cares. Remember everyone said after trading Favre this franchise was done and it would be a black cloud over it forever. Now it’s a foot note in history.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 1:21 PM, Outpost31 said:

How many times has the best quarterback won the Super Bowl?

I’m thinking probably Favre, Warner and Brady once or twice.

Certainly was never Manning.

Colts Peyton was the best QB

Joe Flacco obviously

Mahomes

NE at least 3 times

Could make a case for Brees his year.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Colts Peyton was the best QB

Joe Flacco obviously

Mahomes

NE at least 3 times

Could make a case for Brees his year.

Peyton had 3 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 4 postseason games the year he won one as a Colt. Or are you being sarcastic?

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Like all-time or recently?

Steve Young in 94 is one you certainly left off.

Niners cheated the salary cap that year and literally cheated.

So yeah. Let’s cheat. Brady did it 4 years at least.

Try again.

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Niners cheated the salary cap that year and literally cheated.

So yeah. Let’s cheat. Brady did it 4 years at least.

Try again.

What?

The question was "when has the best QB won the Super Bowl" not "when has the best QB won the Super Bowl but only with the qualifiers I put on it to fit my narrative."

I liked it better when you didn't post lol

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What?

The question was "when has the best QB won the Super Bowl" not "when has the best QB won the Super Bowl but only with the qualifiers I put on it to fit my narrative."

I liked it better when you didn't post lol

Okay, so in a world where the salary cap doesn't exist or you can blatantly cheat it, you've got one QB.

And if there's no salary cap, the QB position isn't overrated.

But if you're pragmatic about this, yes, the fact that the Niners cheated the salary cap is a valid response to you putting Young out there.

56 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Well, if people are going to object to Manning based on post season performance, there's an argument to include Flacco that year, as weird as it is to say. 

As the best quarterback in the league the year they won the Super Bowl? Surely you jest! 

I don't get people arguing against Manning but here are Flacco's career stats. Tell me which year he should have been in consideration as the best QB in the league?

- never threw for 400 yards

- never threw 30 TD passes in a year

- never threw single digit interceptions when he started all 16 games. 

- in 2012 he had a completion % in the 50's. 

- Average Joe

Joe Flacco Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

As the best quarterback in the league the year they won the Super Bowl? Surely you jest! 

I don't get people arguing against Manning but here are Flacco's career stats. Tell me which year he should have been in consideration as the best QB in the league?

- never threw for 400 yards

- never threw 30 TD passes in a year

- never threw single digit interceptions when he started all 16 games. 

- in 2012 he had a completion % in the 50's. 

- Average Joe

Joe Flacco Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2012 is the argument. 

It was a down year for the league. Adrian Peterson won the MVP that year, so you know none of the QBs killed it in the regular season.

+

Joe Flacco's Post Season was: 4-0 Record. 11TDs/0 INTs. Passer Rating of 117.2. 280 Y/G, 9.05 Y/A.

And like 8000 yards on pass interference penalties. 

+

So if you're one of those people who argues that the regular season is half the season, and the post season is the other half, you have a legit argument that Joe Flacco was the best QB in the league that year.