Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

17 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

You don’t think a healthy Z is worth $15m? Or that it isn’t even at least a discussion? Or that they wouldn’t have gambled a couple mil to have Turner’s OL depth if he recovers more sufficiently later? 

I don’t remember anyone saying the team would be “gutted”. Or that the team wouldn’t be good to some extent. Just not up to last year’s peak odds. It’s not all just due to Rodgers. But he is part of it.

I really think they wanted to go a different direction with the o-line.  Isnt that what the old Packers brass would do? (a year early is better than a year too late) As for Z? Wilde said today that he heard the two parties spoke about keeping him at his number this year, but eventually both parties agreed to part ways. No link, or source other than what was stated by Wilde. That said, a lot of things happen behind the scenes we will never hear about. 

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Now we're stretching this further and trying to say the cap cost the Packers Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner? Turner failed a physical and the Smith Bros' 2022 fate was decided the day they drafted Rashan Gary. They're not paying ZaDarius what he was set to make, injury or no injury, cap room or no cap room, when Gary solidified himself as a starting OLB. It was one Smith or the other and they kept the more durable one who stacks up better vs the run. Letting Turner and Za'Darius go isn't a cap sacrifice, it's to improve the roster elsewhere. Let's at least have an honest discussion here.

This is turning into one of the deals where fans had their mind made up that if Rodgers was extended, they'd have to gut the roster. And now that that gutting of the roster didn't take place, instead of coming around, people are dug in on a false notion. That's fine, most of you will come around when the calendar to flips to September. Many sooner.

Before the failed physical, Turner had been mentioned as a potential cap casualty (along with Crosby, Cobb, etc). 

The Packers are still eating 11M of dead cap for Smith. I'd bet that if he had stayed healthy and produced and:

-They had traded Rodgers and tagged/traded or let Adams walk they would find a way to make it work (likely through an extension). Especially since you want a healthy rotation of good pass rushers.

OR

-They had let Adams walk and somehow convinced Rodgers to stay that they would have kept that rotation together.

So while the cap isn't the ONLY reason they're gone, it still plays a factor. Especially when it forces you to sacrifice at two positions (EDGE and RT) where there aren't obvious replacements ready.

7 minutes ago, Striker said:

Before the failed physical, Turner had been mentioned as a potential cap casualty (along with Crosby, Cobb, etc). 

The Packers are still eating 11M of dead cap for Smith. I'd bet that if he had stayed healthy and produced and:

-They had traded Rodgers and tagged/traded or let Adams walk they would find a way to make it work (likely through an extension). Especially since you want a healthy rotation of good pass rushers.

OR

-They had let Adams walk and somehow convinced Rodgers to stay that they would have kept that rotation together.

So while the cap isn't the ONLY reason they're gone, it still plays a factor. Especially when it forces you to sacrifice at two positions (EDGE and RT) where there aren't obvious replacements ready.

Who says there isn't an obvious replacement for Turner? Once Jenkins is back I have no doubt he will be our RT as the play of Runyan/Newman will allow him to move to the right side of the line

4 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

Who says there isn't an obvious replacement for Turner? Once Jenkins is back I have no doubt he will be our RT as the play of Runyan/Newman will allow him to move to the right side of the line

I also have little doubt that Jenkins is the replacement but, as we saw with Bakh, we might not get him back for a while. Hopefully we do since his injury took place about a month earlier thank Bakh's did but we'll still potentially need someone to fill that gap for half of the season. And a subpar replacement can do a lot of damage. That's the risk of losing Turner.

Edited by Striker

1 minute ago, Striker said:

I also have little doubt that Jenkins is the replacement but, as we saw with Bakh, we might not get him back for a while. Hopefully we do since his injury took place about a month earlier thank Bakh's did but we'll still potentially need someone to fill that gap for half of the season. And a subpar replacement can do a lot of damage. 

It's where a Dennis Kelly type player will fill in for half a season on maybe 2m a year. As long as are at full strength n the OL by the time playoffs come around, we are in a better position then we were last year

Seems it's still not clear what the structure on the Rodgers deal is.

Over The Cap says a dead cap hit in 2025 of 45m.

But Spotrac and Ken Ingalls says 76m.

Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

I wonder when we will get the final numbers on this. Either way, it looks like we'll get a full tank year post-Rodgers to go draft our next HoF QB.

Edited by British

9 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

An interesting take from Andrew Brandt. Packers could be opting to one more year, while keeping their options open at the same time

Brandt seems to be losing his marbles. 

If Gute has given Rodgers 40m this year, with a dead cap hit of 40m next year, for just one year of play, instead of trading him for multiple firsts, he deserves to be fired. 

As Nagler's source said last week, the contract clearly looks more like a minimum 2 year, possibly 3 or longer deal than a 1 year thing. 

I can imagine Rodgers would like to be the first NFL player in history to play 20 years with the same team. 

Seems more likely Rodgers extends it into 2025 than he retires after this season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

An interesting take from Andrew Brandt. Packers could be opting to one more year, while keeping their options open at the same time

Brandt is too involved in the Wolf/TT line of thinking. They obviously never would've done this.

This is protection on our end if Rodgers decides to walk away. The dead cap actually goes up, not down the longer Aaron plays, this way, we're not stuck with this massive amount of dead cap if he just decides to up and retire in a year.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Brandt is too involved in the Wolf/TT line of thinking. They obviously never would've done this.

This is protection on our end if Rodgers decides to walk away. The dead cap actually goes up, not down the longer Aaron plays, this way, we're not stuck with this massive amount of dead cap if he just decides to up and retire in a year.  

I don't understand. If he walks away, the Packers would be stuck with that dead cap. How would that be protection for GB?

3 minutes ago, British said:

Brandt seems to be losing his marbles. 

If Gute has given Rodgers 40m this year, with a dead cap hit of 40m next year, for just one year of play, instead of trading him for multiple firsts, he deserves to be fired. 

As Nagler's source said last week, the contract clearly looks more like a minimum 2 year, possibly 3 or longer deal than a 1 year thing. 

I can imagine Rodgers would like to be the first NFL player in history to play 20 years with the same team. 

Seems more likely Rodgers extends it into 2025 than he retires after this season. 

I can see why he views that way.  I don't agree with him, but I see why he views it that way.  IF Rodgers were to retire after 2022, the Packers would have $41.5M in dead cap assuming my math is correct which is more then what they're set to pay him.  I'm still not totally sure how those option bonuses work.

Either way, any way, this is a horrible deal for the team.   Unless next year is the only year that matters.

GB should have offered him a heavily discounted team friendly contract with no other assurances.  When he passed, traded him.  All in for 1, maybe 2 chances at a Super Bowl?  When the dude hasn't gotten us there in a dozen years while on many Super Bowl quality teams?  With his post season record?