Russell Wilson traded to Broncos for Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, Drew Lock, two 1sts, two 2nds

MikeT14

20 minutes ago, viking said:

Paton & Hackett thought they had Rodgers in the bag (who would be worth the haul of picks & players). When Rodgers resigned with GB they panicked and made the trade for Wilson.

The Broncos are a better team than last week but making a move out of panic can't be the best move.

They made the move after 2 weeks of talks because they didn’t believe ARod was leaving.  There was zero panic involved.   That’s an extremely uninformed take.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

They made the move after 2 weeks of talks because they didn’t believe ARod was leaving.  There was zero panic involved.   That’s an extremely uninformed take.  

I've said this before but I believe it's something in between these two takes. If I was Denver, I would have spent weeks doing both things in the event that either of them fell through I wouldn't have to panic going to plan B.

Doing both gives you the ability to do exactly what they did here, which was pretend that Wilson was plan A all along (and maybe he was, who knows).

I don't believe for a second that they just went all in one way or the other.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You didn't answer the question. What do you want them to do? What is the plan to get a QB that is good enough to compete with Mahomes and Herbert?

I'm not mad at the move I just don't think it's as good as some Denver fans think it is. Russ is a declining QB going to a team with a worse supporting cast on offense then he had with the Hawks.

Denver would be in a similar situation next season (and a better long term situation) if they draft a rookie QB and use the extra cap space & Picks to strengthen the team.

They've gone from the worst team in the division to the third best team and can easily see them going 1-5 in divisional games

8 minutes ago, viking said:

I'm not mad at the move I just don't think it's as good as some Denver fans think it is. Russ is a declining QB going to a team with a worse supporting cast on offense then he had with the Hawks.

Denver would be in a similar situation next season (and a better long term situation) if they draft a rookie QB and use the extra cap space & Picks to strengthen the team.

They've gone from the worst team in the division to the third best team and can easily see them going 1-5 in divisional games

In no way would they be in a similar position with a rookie QB as they would be with Russell Wilson. That’s an extremely laughable take. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

In no way would they be in a similar position with a rookie QB as they would be with Russell Wilson. That’s an extremely laughable take. 

With an extra ~30m of cap space, the players and 2 1sts and 2nds you would be fighting for a playoff spot like you will be with Wilson. Not really laughable and definitely a similar situation.

15 minutes ago, viking said:

You're underrating the Broncos cast.  Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick, and Hamler is an extremely talented receiving group.  Sutton has high-end #1 potential as does Jeudy.  Maybe you argue they aren't as strong as a duo as Lockett and Metcalf, and I'd probably agree, but that is all Seattle had at receiver compared to the depth the Broncos have.  And I think Javonte will be the best RB he's had since Lynch.  He's legit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, viking said:

This is just a laughably bad take. Denver would not be competing for a playoff spot next year with a rookie QB, especially in this class.

Russell Wilson elevates them from a bottom-barrel AFC team to a legit contender instantly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is just a laughably bad take. Denver would not be competing for a playoff spot next year with a rookie QB, especially in this class.

Russell Wilson elevates them from a bottom-barrel AFC team to a legit contender instantly.

It isn't Rookie QB vs Wilson though is it? It's rookie QB + 30m cap + an additional 1st + 2 2nd rounders + Noah Fant + Shelby Harris 😴

Denver going to be fighting for a playoff spot in either situation. 

1 minute ago, viking said:

It isn't Rookie QB vs Wilson though is it? It's rookie QB + 30m cap + an additional 1st + 2 2nd rounders + Noah Fant + Shelby Harris 😴

Denver going to be fighting for a playoff spot in either situation. 

I don't think you understand the importance of the QB position.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've said this before but I believe it's something in between these two takes. If I was Denver, I would have spent weeks doing both things in the event that either of them fell through I wouldn't have to panic going to plan B.

Doing both gives you the ability to do exactly what they did here, which was pretend that Wilson was plan A all along (and maybe he was, who knows).

I don't believe for a second that they just went all in one way or the other.

Absolutely was a decision on either guy as the off-season opened up.  But from the very get go Paton was confirmed that either ARod or Wilson was plan A.  From literally day 1 of offseason.  Because both were seen as the difference makers needed.    As the sentiment increased that ARod wasn’t leaving the SEA talks got more serious.  

To call this a panic reaction is beyond ridiculous (not you but the OP I responded to).  

All that cap space they would have spent on defensive help (of which they still have a lot of) would just be wasted with an offense that can’t move the ball. It’s the multiplier effect of the QB position. When you are always playing from behind, you’re not going to get the same value out of your pass rushers and defensive backs. They’ll get better value out of those players now, both in the literal financial sense and play on the field. 

Lol @ thinking one of the Day 2 caliber QBs from this draft was a viable option to compete in the AFC West. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't think you understand the importance of the QB position.

I fully understand the importance of the QB position. 

This is a splashy move largely influenced by the Rams success last year. The trouble is Denver is nowhere near as talented or as well coached as the Rams are. 

Denver gonna go 10-7 and maybe scrape into the playoffs.

Edited by viking

1 minute ago, viking said:

I fully understand the importance of the QB position. 

This is a splashy move largely influenced by the Rams success last year. The trouble is Denver is nowhere near as talented or as well coached as the Rams are. 

Denver gonna go 10-7 and maybe scrape into the playoffs.

Thinking the Broncos are going to achieve similar success with Russell Wilson than they would with a rookie QB just demonstrates that you don't.

Russell Wilson has played in the best division in football nearly his entire career and has never won less than 9 games until last season.

The Broncos have never won more than 7 games since 2016, and haven't won more than 9 games since Peyton Manning was QB.

Doesn't matter how many first round picks they have next year, it's not going to offset the difference between a laughably bad QB class and a HOF QB. I'm shocked I even have to say this, frankly.

• Like 1

An under rated part of the Broncos supporting cast on offence is their new coach.

I think Javonte, Jeudy, Albert O, Sutton, etc will feast in their new system.

the Seahawks offence the last few years was archaic. I expect Russ to look better than his meh second half’s of the last few seasons.