If you were the Packers GM, what would you have done?

dust247

If you were the Packers GM, what would you have done?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If you were the Packers GM, what would you have done?

• Re-signed Rodgers for 4 years - *$200 Million ($150 Guaranteed) -- *Contract details still pending*
    • Traded Rodgers & 2022 4th Round Pick to Denver for QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant, DT Shelby Harris, two first-round picks (2022 -- No. 9 overall -- and 2023), two second-round picks (2022 -- No. 40 overall -- and 2023) and a 2022 fifth-round selection
    • Traded Rodgers to Washington for three first-round picks (2022 -- No. 11 overall --, 2023, and 2024)

Now that the decisions have been made, if you were Brian Gutekunst, how would you have handled the Rodgers situation, now knowing what the options likely were?

Would you have followed the same path as Gutey by re-signing Aaron Rodgers to a rumored 4-year -- $200 Million contract?

Would you have accepted Denver's offer that they sent Seattle for Russell Wilson? (Assuming the same offer would have been on table for Rodgers.)

Would you have allowed Rodgers to stay in the NFC, by trading him to Washington for the rumored three first-round picks that they offered Seattle for Russell Wilson? (Assuming the same offer would have been on table for Rodgers, and that Rodgers would have been willing to play in DC.)

Resign him and keep winning games. Coach gets along with him, and he's had 2 straight MVP years. Sure he hasn't won a SB but neither did Mahomes or Brady this year. WE had a hell of a chance but it showed me how random it can be. But you need to be there every year and AR will get us there. Nothing short of awesome watching him play minus those few iffy years. 

Had you put in Chase Young with Washington, then I would have probably have done that.

I'm not trading Rodgers for just picks.  I want top end, young players in return and picks.

The picks outside of this year won't be nearly as good because Rodgers will win plenty of games on his own.  Gimme young players and picks for the future.

If not?  I'm taking Rodgers back.

• Like 1

Voted to re-sign Rodgers but on the basis we can put together a competitive team for two seasons. If his contract makes that impossible then I'd take the picks - probably prefer 3 first rounders if that was on the table.

Not too fussed what the cap would look like in 2024 as could rip out all the vets and rebuild in full but would want two years with a competitive team.   Just one year and I would be less keen.

Reality is you can rebuild any time, no guarantee you will see another HOF QB in our lifetime.  

Voted yes also on the assumption the 200m option in the voting options is wrong as I don't see how you can make that work without something like 80m a year for the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

Either re-sign Rodgers or trade with Washington for the picks.  

If I am moving Rodgers, it is for Love, and we sink or swim with him.  Fant and Lock do nothing to move the needle for me.  Given what I know about Love right now, the re-sign is the best move, IMO.

I would have taken that Broncos deal .. I would have tried to get Jeudy in there.   (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds, Fant, Jeudy & Lock would have been the enough for me.  I then would have tried to tag and trade Adams, and then cut all the old buddies of Aaron like Cobb, Crosby & Big Dawg.

Depends what his "new" contract looks like, if its structured to help us for the next few years I don't see how it's a bad thing to bring him back. I get he has fallen flat in playoff games, and this could be the only time to get anything of value for him, but at the end of the day he still gives us the best chance at being competitive. If he could just get over his Tae trigger-happiness I think he can get us to another super bowl. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gone on vacation to Hawaii and let Ken Ingalls handle it all. 

This has me concerned that if Rodgers and the other guys we pushed out cap hits for are cut in the same year, things could get really ugly