2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

9 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Expected but still sucks. Hope Lenoir can take that next step, or maybe Moseley moves inside & Ward/Thomas become our outside corners

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Toronto Blue Jays Baseball GIF by MLB

I'm guessing they, the Falcons or Seahawks draft Willis. Darnold is only on the Panthers cuz his salary is guaranteed. Mariota is an obvious stopgap but the question is if his replacement will be drafted this year or next. Lock is just depth at best.

Everyone else's situation is seemingly settled for at least 1 year.

Question on the Falcons; if you go back in time to last offseason, do you still select Pitts? Or do you trade upto 3 (even if costs an extra 1st) to secure Lance who they were reportedly high on? You could have still kept Ryan and sat Lance for a year, or traded Ryan away and started Lance day 1 for better or worse. 

24 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Expected but still sucks. Hope Lenoir can take that next step, or maybe Moseley moves inside & Ward/Thomas become our outside corners

I'm guessing they, the Falcons or Seahawks draft Willis. Darnold is only on the Panthers cuz his salary is guaranteed. Mariota is an obvious stopgap but the question is if his replacement will be drafted this year or next. Lock is just depth at best.

Question on the Falcons; if you go back in time to last offseason, do you still select Pitts? Or do you trade upto 3 (even if costs an extra 1st) to secure Lance who they were reportedly high on? You could have still kept Ryan and sat Lance for a year, or traded Ryan away and started Lance day 1 for better or worse. 

I'm assuming if Lance was there at 4 they would have taken him. So is assume the answer is yes. Team also looked different at draft time last year. Ridley, Julio. Probably best that they didn't draft Lance hindsight. Lol

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm assuming if Lance was there at 4 they would have taken him. So is assume the answer is yes. Team also looked different at draft time last year. Ridley, Julio. Probably best that they didn't draft Lance hindsight. Lol

Still could have drafted their local boy Justin Fields at 4. You all know how I feel about him, so if I was a Falcon fan I would have been on board for that. Pitts does have the chance to be the TE on the all decade team for the 2020s though, so I don't think that's a bad pick either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Atlanta 100% needs to avoid drafting a QB in this draft. They are going to be really, really bad this year. They have no real talent across that team. Go BPA this year, try to accumulate a couple more high end prospects in this draft, go HAM in next year's free agency and take your rookie next season. 

And they definitely shouldn't have taken a QB last year. That would have been a disaster. 

random thought, but there was the news that the Niners had two 2nd rounders in there pocket from ‘“someone” for Jimmy G.

let’s say it’s from the Panthers. Knowing the situation they are in with Darnold, would trading Jimmy for two 2nds AND Darnold be considered a win here?  

With Jimmy we could cut bait and save 25 million if we want, but nothing in return. With the proposed trade, we would basically be locked in to pay Darnold 18 million (which sucks), but we would still get two seconds. Basically paying 18 million for two 2nds and letting Darnold hit FA after this year 

just spit balling here, seeing what people think at this point.

Edited by P_locniners

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I love that signing for the Dolphins. Obviously he needs to stay healthy but they have done good things during free agency. They have not gone crazy and signed a lot of solid players. Armstead is different since he's really one of the best when healthy. This is a deep OL draft so they can add to this unit in the early rounds.

Billy Turner and JC Tretter are the two OL I have my eyes on now. 

24 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

random thought, but there was the news that the Niners had two 2nd rounders in there pocket from ‘“someone” for Jimmy G.

let’s say it’s from the Panthers. Knowing the situation they are in with Darnold, would trading Jimmy for two 2nds AND Darnold be considered a win here?  

With Jimmy we could cut bait and save 25 million if we want, but nothing in return. With the proposed trade, we would basically be locked in to pay Darnold 18 million (which sucks), but we would still get two seconds. Basically paying 18 million for two 2nds and letting Darnold hit FA after this year 

I'd only do it for half his salary. 

28 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

The Panthers don't have a second round pick.

Or a third

2 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I think the rumor team was the Commanders prior to them getting Carson. I also think jimmy either vetoed it or he messed it up by getting his surgery. I don’t think anyone after the surgery had a legitimate trade offer on the table hence the reason why he was an afterthought with all the qb trade carrousel. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Atlanta 100% needs to avoid drafting a QB in this draft. They are going to be really, really bad this year. They have no real talent across that team. Go BPA this year, try to accumulate a couple more high end prospects in this draft, go HAM in next year's free agency and take your rookie next season. 

And they definitely shouldn't have taken a QB last year. That would have been a disaster. 

What makes you say that? They could have prepared him to play this year under Matt Ryan last year. They would be sitting in a better spot from the QB position now today had they taken Fields last year imo. Obviously this is all dependent on him panning out, but I don’t see how drafting a guy last year would have been a disaster, especially if he didn’t really play, but instead was taking the Trey Lance route.

10 minutes ago, GW21 said:

What makes you say that? They could have prepared him to play this year under Matt Ryan last year. They would be sitting in a better spot from the QB position now today had they taken Fields last year imo. Obviously this is all dependent on him panning out, but I don’t see how drafting a guy last year would have been a disaster, especially if he didn’t really play, but instead was taking the Trey Lance route.

Because they would have wasted one year with the QB in the bench, a second year saddled him with 60 million in dead money and no ability to acquire talent, a third year trying to acquire talent. The team lonely wouldn't be truly competitive until year 4 or 5.  The rookie QB deal is probably the single most valuable thing in sports, not just the NFL, and they would have torched it.  They are in a multi year rebuild. Nearly a third of their cap this year is dead money from people not on the roster. 

They would have completely wasted the rookie QB deal and given how little talent they have, potentially could have ruined the QB. Look at that receiver group right now and then imagine it without Pitts. Yikes. One of the worst offensive lines in football, the worst receiver group in football. Going to be easy to break that kid in that scenario