2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because they would have wasted one year with the QB in the bench, a second year saddled him with 60 million in dead money and no ability to acquire talent, a third year trying to acquire talent. The team lonely wouldn't be truly competitive until year 4 or 5.  The rookie QB deal is probably the single most valuable thing in sports, not just the NFL, and they would have torched it.  They are in a multi year rebuild. Nearly a third of their cap this year is dead money from people not on the roster. 

They would have completely wasted the rookie QB deal and given how little talent they have, potentially could have ruined the QB. Look at that receiver group right now and then imagine it without Pitts. Yikes. One of the worst offensive lines in football, the worst receiver group in football. Going to be easy to break that kid in that scenario

I get that a QB on a rookie deal is a huge advantage, but I would say finding a franchise QB is far more important than having a QB on a rookie deal. There have been plenty of QBs drafted #1 overall going to absolute dumpster fires of teams and had success. Ultimately it comes down to if you believe in the player you are drafting. Clearly the Falcons believed in Pitts, and I do not fault them or disagree with that belief; but if you think Fields is a guy that can turn into a franchise QB then you take him, regardless of what you think your competitive window is.

This is all probably an exercise in futility though as Pitts was the pick and I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure how the Falcons felt about Fields, or Mac n’ Cheese for that matter.

33 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I get that a QB on a rookie deal is a huge advantage, but I would say finding a franchise QB is far more important than having a QB on a rookie deal. There have been plenty of QBs drafted #1 overall going to absolute dumpster fires of teams and had success. Ultimately it comes down to if you believe in the player you are drafting. Clearly the Falcons believed in Pitts, and I do not fault them or disagree with that belief; but if you think Fields is a guy that can turn into a franchise QB then you take him, regardless of what you think your competitive window is.

This is all probably an exercise in futility though as Pitts was the pick and I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure how the Falcons felt about Fields, or Mac n’ Cheese for that matter.

Well, we know to some degree how they felt about Fields / Mac. At the very least we know they didn't like them enough to draft over a tight end / wide receiver in a situation where they could have justified taking a QB. So either they thought that they weren't franchise QBs, or they thought that they were but weren't in a position to draft one for whatever reason (whether that is thinking strategically about their long term outlook or because they really thought that they could win with Ryan in the short term). 

Most QBs are simply their situation, even if they are franchise QBs (A good example of that would be a guy like Dak or Matt Stafford, imo), and guys who could be franchise QBs can easily be crushed under the weight of that situation. We are going to find out in short order if Fields is that guy because his situation in Chicago isn't great, and it's not even as bad as what Atlanta would have put him in right now. And as big of a fan as I was of Fields and his talent leading into the draft, I've been pretty upfront with saying that I think he's going to fail in Chicago. 

There is a great benefit to finding your franchise QB of course, but the flip side of that coin is pretty brutal. I mean, if you mess that up, you've sent your franchise back half a decade more often than not. I think it's a tremendous asset to have the self awareness to look at your team and go, "you know...I love this kid...think he's could be very good...but I also think that where we are at, we may just ruin him".  

I just think that this is your likely scenario if you take Fields last year. Meh season with Ryan. Ryan is gone in year two, rookie QB is saddled with a bunch of dead money, very bad roster and you end up with a top 3ish pick. Questions on whether or not you should draft a QB pop up. You end up drafting someone like Jalen Carter instead & spend a bunch of money on free agents. This improves the team but may not enough to get you anything more than 7-10. Coach is either fired (which basically puts the QB in the crosshairs next as the new regime is not tethered to them and will likely see the QB without much backing eventually get pushed out), or the head coach is on the hot seat and given that one final year. Perhaps by that point they have done enough to make a truly competitive team and then it all works out, but it's a big question for sure. I think Atlanta was set up to 100% fail for a QB last year. 

I just think Atlanta was different than a team like the Jets / Jags who were dumpster fires but still took QBs. I think that those teams were starting from 0. Lack of talent overall, but some pieces, decent draft capital and lots of money. I actually think that Atlanta would have been starting from like -2 with a rookie QB because they were seriously going to have to subtract from the current team over a 2 year period just to get them to a point to reset. They aren't going to be at the place the Jags / Jets were last year until 2023, into the third year of that QBs lifespan. That's just crazy to think about.  The Jags and Jets didn't have to do that last year. Both teams were able to start adding people to the team and building around their guys. It didn't work so far of course. For the Jets, they lost Lawson in TC for the year. Corey Davis missed half the year, their #2 receiver Elijah Moore missed 6 games, Becton missed time, etc etc. The Jags...well, the Jags hired Urban Meyer, so that's their own damn fault, but they did do some things that just didn't pan out (signed Marvin Jones, drafted Etienne and they lost Chark to injury) 

"I'll tell you this," said Rapoport on the Pat McAfee show. "The longer we go in this thing and Jimmy G. (Garoppolo) is still on the Niners makes me think that like, they could keep him. I mean, he lead them to the playoffs last year. I know it wasn't perfect, but like would it be the craziest thing in the world to keep him and let Trey Lance learn for another year? I can think of worse outcomes for the 49ers. I just don't see a spot for him."

9 hours ago, StevenK said:

I think the rumor team was the Commanders prior to them getting Carson. I also think jimmy either vetoed it or he messed it up by getting his surgery. I don’t think anyone after the surgery had a legitimate trade offer on the table hence the reason why he was an afterthought with all the qb trade carrousel. 

I think it was a USFL team that made the offer

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Panthers restructured CMC's contract. Come get Jimbo

We KINDA back.....

I would love to see MaCaffrey in this O...yes, I know he has issues staying healthy. I also think he is being wasted by continual use at RB. He needs to be diversified and shifted around the field regularly.