2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

Mariota will sign with the Falcons as a stopgap. Mayfield will be traded to the Seahawks

Panthers would be the only option but they have an expensive QB already and are more likely to draft a rookie like Willis

Trade him for whatever you can get from Carolina or just release him. Horrible look if you keep him on the roster all offseason only to cut him when healthy, plus the moment Lance has a overthrow in practice, the shameless reporters (Cohn) will probably manufacture a useless QB controversy. His injury guarantee can be offset and we'll probably get most if not all of it back at some point anyway

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

0%

That's not happening but the question is WHEN will the team move on from him? Will they wait it out until training camp to release him when he gets healthy? 

I'm not so sure J.

They said they had budgeted for this scenario, unless ATL are willing to take him where else can he go?

20 hours ago, Forge said:

They still have Mason Rudolph for the time being as well. 

I'm curious if they are targeting a rookie. That's what it feels like, but tricky

They might be, but I still feel like PIT is our best shot at trading Jimmy because they can lie to themselves and think he's a QB they can win with 

Narrator: "they can't" 

8 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

I'm not so sure J.

They said they had budgeted for this scenario, unless ATL are willing to take him where else can he go?

They aren't keeping Jimmy without him taking an absolutely massive pay cut, and even then... 

At this point, we need to keep him to avoid the injury guarantee, and also we probably don't want him to go to Seattle even though that is my preferred destination for him lmao

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

I'm not so sure J.

No, you can't have Jimmy on the roster with how much he is respected in the locker room. Some will never accept Lance starting over him.

And this team needs cap space badly.

He's not coming back…. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

At this point, if you don't trade him to the Panthers. What are the 49ers doing holding onto Jimmy for? Outside of waiting out his injury guarantee and a potential injury just cut him and move on. 

Doubt we'll get a worthwhile pick. 

Panthers want to get rid of McCaffrey right? Do a straight swap and call it a day 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Doubt we'll get a worthwhile pick. 

Panthers want to get rid of McCaffrey right? Do a straight swap and call it a day 

They want a first for CMC. He cost them more to trade than to keep. Jimmy doesn't make that worth it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

At this point, if you don't trade him to the Panthers. What are the 49ers doing holding onto Jimmy for? Outside of waiting out his injury guarantee and a potential injury just cut him and move on. 

Pretty much the latter. I suppose Seattle could still be an option, but if you wait until he's healthy in july you get the full 25 (there's no guarantee at htis point that if you cut him right now that he gets the offset this year, if we are being honest...and if I were a team signing him to that type of deal, I'd stack the second year just to make us eat the injury guarantee). 

The alternative is finding common ground with DArnold's agent on an extension and taking him back in the deal.