Is Baker Mayfield better than we've given him credit for?

The Cleveland Browns both before and after Baker Mayfield.   

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is Baker Mayfield better than we've given him credit for?

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I keep hearing that he doesn’t raise talent around him…the Browns have been significantly better than him than without him, so how can that even be said?

How are you calculating that? 

I'm not really sure how that works. That's the Jimmy G / Kyle Shanahan argument, and I've never liked that one. 

7 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I keep hearing that he doesn’t raise talent around him…the Browns have been significantly better than him than without him, so how can that even be said?

Because Baker is a starter in this league, and those are other guys are backups…. Simple stuff, really. 

• Like 1

The fact that Jarvis Landry came out and talked about how he was super injured all year and never complained or made it a big thing is an indictment on Baker imo. Jarvis knows what he was saying. Now he wants to be traded, which is saying something.

every good player in the NFL is injured. The great ones ball out through the injury.

Baker wasn’t even serviceable with a common nfl injury that players play through all the time. That shoulder injury had nothing to do with his poor decision making and inability to read the field all season long.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

We're about to see what Baker Mayfield is truly made of this year because Amari Cooper is coming to Cleveland to feast and I feel Baker Mayfield is about to show off and show out because of it. 

And most of us are like Chubb + Hunt + OBJ + Landry +Austin Hooper + Njoku + a top 5 OL didn’t make him a stud. But THIS, this one guy 2 different teams felt comfortable moving on from, this will be the guy that makes him top 5. Obviously!

I’m being facetious. But also honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

And most of us are like Chubb + Hunt + OBJ + Landry +Austin Hooper + Njoku + a top 5 OL didn’t make him a stud. But THIS, this one guy 2 different teams felt comfortable moving on from, this will be the guy that makes him top 5. Obviously!

I’m being facetious. But also honest.

Cleveland might be able to land Allen Robinson too. 

It's all about the weapons and OBJ has never been the same since NYJ and Landry is a slot receiver; both Amari Cooper on the outside and Allen Robinson would become the best WR duo Baker Mayfield has ever had. By far too. 

You'll see. Baker Mayfield is about to light it up. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

On 3/10/2022 at 7:51 PM, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

All I really know man is that...

Baker Mayfield has gone 29-30 throughout his 4 years in Cleveland of 2018-2021 (.491%).

Vs. 

The Browns only going 11-53 throughout their 4 years before drafting Baker Mayfield of 2014-2017 (.171%).

That's impressive to me. 

Wins aren’t a QB stat. Wins are a team stat.

Its a possibility. He had that one stretch where he was great after OBJ got hurt and he led the Browns to not just the playoffs but a playoff win. People will point to last season him being hurt for pretty much the entire season and it got worse and thus he struggled badly. The thing I keep pointing out with Baker is not only his bad decisions with the ball but he constantly misses open targets. That has to be frustrating when Stefanski draws up a great play and then guys like Landry and OBJ who both run great routes to get open and then Baker still throws an incompletion. Not just that but he throws it so badly that it will sometimes picked off or at the very least nearly picked off. 

So I do think its a possibility Baker is better but I have to see how he looks when he is healthy. If he is the Baker that we saw against the Chiefs and Chargers game where the Browns played great and shouldve won then ok he isnt that bad. Even in those games though he made some bad decisions late that cost them. He isnt a clutch QB and we know in the NFL in tight games you have to make those plays to get your team the win. Thats the difference between an average QB to a good QB to a great QB. So we shall see. 

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Its a possibility. He had that one stretch where he was great after OBJ got hurt and he led the Browns to not just the playoffs but a playoff win. People will point to last season him being hurt for pretty much the entire season and it got worse and thus he struggled badly. The thing I keep pointing out with Baker is not only his bad decisions with the ball but he constantly misses open targets. That has to be frustrating when Stefanski draws up a great play and then guys like Landry and OBJ who both run great routes to get open and then Baker still throws an incompletion. Not just that but he throws it so badly that it will sometimes picked off or at the very least nearly picked off. 

So I do think its a possibility Baker is better but I have to see how he looks when he is healthy. If he is the Baker that we saw against the Chiefs and Chargers game where the Browns played great and shouldve won then ok he isnt that bad. Even in those games though he made some bad decisions late that cost them. He isnt a clutch QB and we know in the NFL in tight games you have to make those plays to get your team the win. Thats the difference between an average QB to a good QB to a great QB. So we shall see. 

Problem is he is in a lose-lose situation because people have already make up their minds about him. If he comes in this year and plays like 2020, people are just going to say he is inconsistent and 'you cant pay a guy like that'. If he comes in and sucks, then its more of the same.

So barring him coming in and throwing for 4,500 yards and 38 TDs/7 INTs while leading the Browns to the Superbowl, nobodies opinion is going to change.

• Like 1

Dunking on Baker Mayfield has become extremely popular. The "Baker is terrible" crowd is wrong. Baker is a mediocre NFL starting average QB who will likely be a bridge starting NFL QB for 10+ years in some capacity in the league.

His stats are eerily similar to Andy Dalton/Jay Cutler, and that feels about right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

The fact that Jarvis Landry came out and talked about how he was super injured all year and never complained or made it a big thing is an indictment on Baker imo. Jarvis knows what he was saying. Now he wants to be traded, which is saying something.

every good player in the NFL is injured. The great ones ball out through the injury.

Baker wasn’t even serviceable with a common nfl injury that players play through all the time. That shoulder injury had nothing to do with his poor decision making and inability to read the field all season long.

Jarvis wants to be traded because he knows if he's released, he's not going to come close to making $15 million a year like he's currently set up to make.

And a torn labrum is a common injury? Right. And that wasn't his only injury anyway.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:52 AM, AkronsWitness said:

I'm hoping for a 4,200 yard 35 TD season so I can confirm that last years performance was directly injury related and he picks up where he left off in 2020.

Either that or a full tank job so we know where to go. The last thing I want to see if a mid-level season.

Ask the Vikings. That limbo land is worst case scenario. "Well, I guess we have to re-sign Kirk because he doesn't suck and we can't get anyone better".

I want him to blow up one way or the other, and that's what I wanted this year. Unfortunately for everyone, he was hurt and it made it "impossible" to truly evaluate him based upon the significance of those injuries.

• Like 1

As long as you Ravens fans hold yourselves to the same standard on Lamar Jackson's woefully inept performance playing hurt down the stretch in 2021, that's a fair take.

• Like 1

Mayfield suffered a completely torn labrum and fraying in his left, non-throwing shoulder in Week 2 while attempting to make a tackle on an interception return versus the Houston Texans. Mayfield played through shoulder issues — he also suffered a fractured humerus bone in Week 6 — wore a harness to prevent it from repeatedly dislocating and also dealt with lower-body injuries (left heel, right knee, groin) throughout the season.

***Now imagine sitting in the pocket with a pass rush coming after you with those injuries and how it might effect your play.

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Problem is he is in a lose-lose situation because people have already make up their minds about him. If he comes in this year and plays like 2020, people are just going to say he is inconsistent and 'you cant pay a guy like that'. If he comes in and sucks, then its more of the same.

So barring him coming in and throwing for 4,500 yards and 38 TDs/7 INTs while leading the Browns to the Superbowl, nobodies opinion is going to change.

Well Baker is the 1st overall pick and comes in with the hype surrounding him. The Browns built a Superbowl caliber roster with a really good coach on the offensive side of the ball. The only thing that is missing from the Browns is consistent QB play. Baker doesnt have to be Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, or Stafford when it comes to clutch or high level MVP type play. He just cant stink up the joint and be the reason the Browns lose.