2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

he's only 24? that's like drafting a older rookie. Dude still has upside. Chuks is young for a FA too

The only difference is the 25 yr old rookie like The Rainman hasn't played yet. Once you watch one preseason game you know if a guy can handle the speed or not.

Chuks is a mirror type blocker that doesn't mirror very well even with the quickest snap to pass in the league. That's a major league problem. Chuks is a AAA player that never fully developed bc he lost his coach to the Denver Broncos.

We can pretend there's something there to develop. Unfortunately, that time has passed. And we only have unfulfilled potential. 

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m not going back and searching but who is the one who yesterday acted like they knew for 100% fact that we signed Mason Cole to start for us when they saw the contract numbers? Lol

See what I mean, let’s watch things play out before having a meltdown after day 1 of free agency. 

Sorry this is what ticks me off. We can only react to the info we have and at that moment that’s what was projected. 

Most don’t assume a day 1 signing is a backup. Because that’s not entirely typical unless someone is overpaid some. 

Just now, August4th said:

Alex thinks this points to QB in RD 1 and with the signing of Mitch, that QB is probably be willis who would sit a yr

Many of the stop gap signings do point to the option of a QB in round one. This would not be wise, because I believe you are building a team that will pick top 10. Then with a better class and draft position you can find your QB of the future.

It's always better to be patient as opposed to going guns blazing to the Golden Corral. 

Could you imagine that guy? 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Sorry this is what ticks me off. We can only react to the info we have and at that moment that’s what was projected. 

Most don’t assume a day 1 signing is a backup. Because that’s not entirely typical unless someone is overpaid some. 

You can, but should also bear in mind that we were at the end of day 1 of legal tampering, not even free agency.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So have a complete meltdown over a signing because *you* came to the conclusion that since he was signed day 1 it meant he HAD to of been signed to be the starter. That’s exactly my point, you let your bias against the Steelers consume you and you most likely overreacted instead of letting things play themselves out.

Now that we know Cole was signed to be a BJ Finney/JC Hassenhauer replacement it doesn’t look as bad does it?

• Like 1

I'll take the brunt of it. You don't pay a guy $5m to sit on the bench. Joe Haeg is like a $2m guy. That's your backup salary level. And that's tackle that can play guard on a rainy day.

When you sign a lesser position like IOL that's much akin to a $10m tackle. 

According to overthecap, if you plug Mason Cole in at center with an AAV of $5m that puts him at a top 15 paid center in the league.

I thought this was a Joe Haeg signing. As previously mentioned, this is a Sean Mahan signing.

And that's a starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Guys, it’s only been one day of free agency.

How about a Tyrann Mathieu or James Daniel signing today? Would that make yinz feel better?

I am now reserving judgement on the Chuks signing until we see what else happens with the o-line. In reality, the tackles were not the issue last year it was more the interior of the o-line. If we draft one of the top IOL in the 1st round and sign one of the remaining top IOL remaining I think we can see some massive improvements next year.

Now if we stand pat, don’t sign anyone else, and ignore o-line until the middle rounds I will be pissed. 

Let’s wait and see.

They need to sign Myles Jack RIGHT F'ING NOW!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This wasn’t directed at you but I’m not surprised you took offense to it.

Just because I explained my stance doesnt mean I "took offense to it".

And even if it wasnt directed specifically at me, dont act like you werent lumping me in with that group.

Its not the first time youve "taken offense" to my "pessimism".

No ones “feelings” are hurt bud. Just pointing out the hypocrisy I noticed while catching up on the last few pages of this thread.

I never said YOUR feelings were hurt, but since you "took offense to it", maybe they were....   😄

And I never said DCash was wrong about anything....but Im not going to agree with him for the sake of being agreeable.  

Using the reasoning of “this move sucks because I know for 100% fact that this is the o-line that will start week 1 and the only other players we are going to sign is Greg Ward and a backup CB” and then trying to claim someone else is the one who thinks they know everything and is trying to convince others that they’re wrong is comical.

Then address that with the person making those specific comments instead of trying to act like thats what we are all saying.

I critique each individual move and give my thoughts on them.   If you have an issue with one of them, then feel free to discuss it.   People disagree with me all the time and I am fine with it.   @Dcash4, @warfelg and I disagree with each other ALL THE TIME, but we usually have pretty respectful discussions about certain things, even if they can get a bit heated.    However, making broad comments and then claiming "youre all just pessimists" isnt good discussion.    Its a general statement that doesnt actually add to anything to any discussion.

And I will admit....I do overreact to things this team does....especially when they make the same mistakes over and over.     That doesnt mean Im wrong....doesnt mean Im right either.....but alot of moves and decisions we make are OBJECTIVELY bad moves and decisions....so how anyone "reacts" to them is largely irrelevant. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

So have a complete meltdown over a signing because *you* came to the conclusion that since he was signed day 1 it meant he HAD to of been signed to be the starter. That’s exactly my point, you let your bias against the Steelers consume you and you most likely overreacted instead of letting things play themselves out.

Now that we know Cole was signed to be a BJ Finney/JC Hassenhauer replacement it doesn’t look as bad does it?

We don’t know that. As @Raidersfan1said, we paid Cole starter money at C. It’s fair to assume that’s the intent.