2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

10 hours ago, 43M said:

There is a far better chance of us giving him a $20m per year contract than us trading him.

We dont typically operate like that, and I dont see that changing.   Only reason we traded guys like Brown and Bryant the way we did was because of their off field stuff.   

If they like him, they're gonna pay him.
If they feel like they can get by without him, they will let him walk.

Id love to trade him and get a haul....but its not how they do things.

That being said, if he does have a decent year this year, I see us tagging him next year.

Never know. New GM soon might mean new feel of things like this. 

But honestly I think they let it play out. I would bet they felt blah about him after 2020, and feel uneasy about a contract after 2021. It’s two years in a row he’s had a case of the drops. 

I wish there were a market out there for him right now but I don’t see one. There’s a TON of guys in this draft who do what he does (but potentially better) who can be had rounds 2-4. So I don’t see why a team would be jumping on the chance to trade and pay DJ unless they suck at drafting WRs or didn’t want to deal with developing one and had cap space. So maybe like New England or Philly might be interested. 

If they could get 2 picks for DJ I'd do it right now 

Chiefs have 2 picks in every round in the draft ... That's how you work and build your roster ... Take someone like DJ who will be looking to get paid and there will be a market for him in FA and get some picks for him 

Call them up and say hey, he's a guy give us a 2nd and 3rd now. And when he leaves in FA if you don't sign him you'll get a comp pick back (most likely a 3rd)

Interesting article on how this years QB class rates when compared to last year. Pickett and Willis ranked 6 and 7 when the 2 years are combined, which I agree with. Another reason I really don’t care about taking one this year, and would prefer to build the rest of the team and go all in on a QB in next year’s draft. 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022positionreviewQB.php

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m really intrigued by the 2023 class. I think there will be some really fun guys. Big, mobile, rocket arm guys. 

Me too. My hope is the Steelers pass on QB in 22. Otherwise, they won't be interested in any of the guys in 23.

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Interesting article on how this years QB class rates when compared to last year. Pickett and Willis ranked 6 and 7 when the 2 years are combined, which I agree with. Another reason I really don’t care about taking one this year, and would prefer to build the rest of the team and go all in on a QB in next year’s draft. 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022positionreviewQB.php

This is why I banged the drum so hard for trading up for Fields last year. Fields would be the unanimous #1 pick in this years draft. 

No one loves Najee more than me but I’d rather have Fields and no 1st this year than Najee. We should’ve been picking up the phone as soon as the Broncos passed on him. 

22 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Me too. My hope is the Steelers pass on QB in 22. Otherwise, they won't be interested in any of the guys in 23.

Only problem is, next year, we may not be in position for any QBs better than this years class (even if we are picking 15th, the top QBs will likely be picked over unless we trade up).   So we are in bit of a Catch-22 (pun intended)   

This years class is fools gold IMO.      Its mostly guys with 1st round UPSIDE but not proven first round TALENT or PRODUCTION.       Its a bunch of boom or bust candidates that typically wouldnt go to bottom of the first round AT THE EARLIEST, and most of them would be lucky to be day 2 picks.    

Bottom line continues to be....I wouldnt draft a QB in round 1 this year and would only draft someone this year if they fall.  

This is a good year to build up the team in other ways for when you finally DO find your franchise QB.

PS....reportedly, Kevin Colbert has said he isnt retiring until the Steelers get their next franchise QB.....which makes me worry that the Steelers are planning on doing something stupid this year, because I dont think he is planning on sticking around a couple more years.   I feel like they are either going to foolishly trade up or reach on someone.

• Like 1

This years draft is so ridiculously deep at every defensive position. I agree that this is the year to build the team and look for QB next year. Build up the defense, grab a WR, the o-line is young, Najee is set, then trade away future assets for a QB next year. That way the team is built. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 43M said:

PS....reportedly, Kevin Colbert has said he isnt retiring until the Steelers get their next franchise QB.....which makes me worry that the Steelers are planning on doing something stupid this year

Yep. They’re really gonna do it, or at least try their damndest. I think the chance that this is a smokescreen is like 5 or 10%. 

28 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This years draft is so ridiculously deep at every defensive position. I agree that this is the year to build the team and look for QB next year. Build up the defense, grab a WR, the o-line is young, Najee is set, then trade away future assets for a QB next year. That way the team is built. 

Amen. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

• Like 2

Idk how real this is but I’m sharing it because it’s Honey Badger news.

Also, Edmunds has scrubbed his social media of Steelers stuff. You can decide how much stock you want to put into that but I personally take that as they have told him they have a deal in place with someone else.

Edited by bigben07MVP

47 minutes ago, August4th said:

I would pick LV if I was the Badger tbh maybe our coaches can win him over

Eh I don’t see what the Raiders have over us in terms of being a FA destination besides being in Las Vegas to be honest. They might have slighter better roster but we have Tomlin/Flores and the chance to play for a top 5 defense and next to Minkah/behind TJ