GDT - Week 9 - No "Battle of the Barge" this time

brooks1957

Ya know - when I started this thread I thought this should be a relatively easy day at the office for the Lions. That was a few days ago, and the closer we get to Sunday......

I am hedging on that position. We all know that the NFL is a copycat league. And all O need to do is to look back to Monday night to see where Green Bay had success against the lions, and I see no reason why we cannot do the same. I know some of the following points are going to be greeted with a "well, duh, Brooks......" - but if these can be accomplished, our chances of visiting the left side of the win/loss column for the first time this season increase greatly.

The offense must show up and be able to sustain drives. The first two points we can control 100%.

1.) - Enough already with the stupid false start penalties, or the illegal formations, and not having the correct personnel package in the game........... I mean, what is this CYO ball? No, this is The National Football League. This your job - it is no longer a game you played as a child. Give it the respect it deserves - players and coaches. Know your assignment and do your dang job. This team is not good enough yet to overcome shooting ourselves in the foot like we have.

2.) - Catch the ball! I know this touches on a bigger debate for a later time - but we have had receivers WIDE open and the ball right to them - and the hands of stone appears. Not acceptable any longer. Here's a thought - you may be playing for your jobs this week. Corey Coleman, who had shown signs of being the receiver we all envisioned him to be, is slated to return from the IR next week, and the return of #12 is imminent. So, when the ball is thrown to you - catch or do a better job of fighting for it. Passes that are dropped are drive killers and emotionally deflating to a team. We simply cannot miss those opportunities.

3.) - This one may be a bit trickier, but Crow needs to get to the second level of the defense quickly and often. I know this is dictated by the play of the OL, but far too often this season - I have seen Isaiah go down on first contact. Did he forget this is a contract year? WTF? This is a page from the Packers playbook on Monday. Hand in hand with that, I expect the Duke to have a massive part in Sunday's game plan. If DeShone can continue his growth and get Duke the ball 5-10 yards past the LOS - I will take my chances with that. Duke is an excellent open field runner.

All three of the above points tie into one crying need - we have NO SHOT at winning this game if the offense cannot sustain drives and gives the defense a break. If we lose the TOP battle again by a 2-1 margin......... how can you fault the defense? The offense does not get a pass with me.

4') - Turn Myles Garrett loose. Myles is healthy, and the game is indoors. No worries about the elements or field conditions. If he is able to show us why we drafted him where we did, Detroit could be forced into an uncomfortable role.

5.) - Keep up the defensive pressure. Stafford is a great QB. He and Brett Favre were the 2 QBs I was always afraid of - because of their ability to pull "wow" plays out of their rear quarter panels when you thought " I got ya!". We know he has the ability to pull off those plays, but they are not high percentage plays. The Lions have had success with the deep strike passing plays, which take time to develop - so the more heat we can keep on them, the better our chances. I f we can get Detroit to pause for half a tick and thinking about what they are doing on offense instead of reacting on instinct - our chances improve.

We are coming off the bye. Were there new wrinkles added offensively and defensively? We'll see. But we MUST be ready to play from the jump - and not sleepwalk for the first quarter and a half. Going down 10-0 early would be suicidal - but I think if we tighten up the things we can control, we will have a brighter Monday morning.

Browns 24-20.

14 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Did not see that.  Any idea what we were trying to give up?

Our remaining dignity.

A WR we can sign in the offseason for draft picks? Wonder who the driving force behind that was. 

Does not sound very Process-y to me.

Sounds very Coach Desperately Trying To Save His Job-y.

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

Our remaining dignity.

A WR we can sign in the offseason for draft picks? Wonder who the driving force behind that was. 

Does not sound very Process-y to me.

Sounds very Coach Desperately Trying To Save His Job-y.

Unless were believed we had a great chance to re-sign a player on an expiring contract there is no reason to make a trade this year, there was no salvaging this season. Pryor, who we couldn't sign last offseason, doesn't seem to fit the easy re-sign bill. So yeah, would have been a desperate trade.

Trading for players not on expiring contracts is different of course.

6 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Did not see that.  Any idea what we were trying to give up?

Per Adam Schefter, 

"In a curious move during the whirlpool of last second deadline trades, the Cleveland Browns are reported to have offered a conditional pick to the Washington Redskins for ex Ohio State alum Terrelle Pryor.  Where it gets curious is that, though the pick was a 5th round selection in the 2018 draft, if Pryor had hit certain escalators--reportedly 600 total yards and 5 touchdowns in his remaining games, the Cleveland Browns would have to give up both a 2018 2nd AND 3rd round pick. The Browns were only willing to make the escalators for a combo of 650/6, a sticking point that eventually ended negotations.  It's safe to say that Cleveland Browns fans are breathing a sigh of relief over the trade not being completed.  Word is that Hue Jackson pushed for the trade while the front office had been attempting to unload a late round pick and a young depth player."

So there you have it.

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Per Adam Schefter, 

"In a curious move during the whirlpool of last second deadline trades, the Cleveland Browns are reported to have offered a conditional pick to the Washington Redskins for ex Ohio State alum Terrelle Pryor.  Where it gets curious is that, though the pick was a 5th round selection in the 2018 draft, if Pryor had hit certain escalators--reportedly 600 total yards and 5 touchdowns in his remaining games, the Cleveland Browns would have to give up both a 2018 2nd AND 3rd round pick. The Browns were only willing to make the escalators for a combo of 650/6, a sticking point that eventually ended negotations.  It's safe to say that Cleveland Browns fans are breathing a sigh of relief over the trade not being completed.  Word is that Hue Jackson pushed for the trade while the front office had been attempting to unload a late round pick and a young depth player."

So there you have it.

Sounds extremely unlikely that the pick would escalate that high.

Archived