Von Miller signs with Bills for 6 years / 120 million

TheRealMcCoy

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Anybody can teach me because I fully admit I’m not the most knowledgeable on the subject, but when was the last time (prior to playing next to Aaron Donald) that Von was seen as a top tier pass rusher? Hell, even with Donald, no one was thinking we were looking at Von Miller of 2012-2016. 

If Von is a veteran player that ultimately turns it on in the playoffs and becomes a force again (like he did in 2021), then the Bills won’t have much to complain about. It just seems like everyone talks about Von Miller like he’s still Von Miller, and I can’t help but feel I’m missing something painfully obvious. @broncosfan can teach me a bit.

I imagine we can all acknowledge that Von isn't prime Von anymore. He's no longer a DPOY-caliber player. But 2021 Von was still an outstanding run defender and a pass rusher in the same tier as guys like Yannick Ngakoue, Chandler Jones, and Shaq Barrett. So he was still a great player.

48 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Its legit the same contract that Chandler Jones got... 

It's legit not. Chandler Jones's entire contract isn't guaranteed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Jones got 34 guaranteed. Von, 45.

Agreed. Miller's is riskier, but he's also the better player and a BEAST in the playoffs. It's a risky move for sure, but Buffalo is in win the **** now mode, so if they can get two good years out of Miller, then it gives them that more of an edge to winning the super bowl. Year three is where it could get ugly. Year four he's retiring and only counting a fraction against a cap that has hopefully gone up quite a bit. 

I know people from other teams are going to say this will screw Buffalo long term, but it won't. It may make year three a retool year, but with Allen at the helm- they'll always be at the least a WC team.

Beane is also a wizard with contracts, so he'll make it work. The beauty with having an elite QB is you can go all in every few years to make a super bowl run, pay the piper for a year or two, still be competitive as hell, and retool for more super bowl runs. Buffalo is in good hands. Nobody get it twisted!

Edited by WizeGuy

8 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Just consider it a 3 year / 53 million contract for 17.5 million per. That’s the real contract. Probably doesn’t hurt them much to move on after the 2024 season.

Exactly this. It's still rich and risky. No doubt, but Buffalo is going to be competitive as long as Allen is their QB. They can afford to have a year or two every now and then where they need to pay the piper, not be as aggressive in free agency, and rework a few contracts to be cap compliant.

They're ******* going for it now, and why not? They have a widely considered top-3 QB in the league who puts his balls in the other teams mouth during the playoffs. Von is also a beast in the playoffs. Watch out come January and February!

I am not in the least bit concerned about Buffalo's future due to this contract. They're still going to steam roll teams again this year, and be a force in the AFC likely running their division until one of the young QBs proves to be a top-10 guy, and not for nothing- I think all three of those young QBs have that potential- so if those teams hit on those young QBs- they'll need to use their cap space to their advantage, too. That may mean overpaying for an impact player at a premium position when their window approaches. It's an arms race in the AFC. Christ. 

Edited by WizeGuy

12 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I feel what you're going for here, but it's kind of a weird flex.

Mark Sanchez made two AFCCGs and went 4-2 in the playoffs, which includes wins over Manning and Brady. 

Josh Allen is 3-3 in the playoffs with one AFCCG loss. And it's not like Allen's teams weren't good.

Obviously Allen is better - but at least wait until he surpasses what Sanchez did for the Jets before throwing shade at the Jets QBs.

It's also a tad ironic because the Bills went from Jim Kelly to Josh Allen with horrific QB play in-between. Not like the Bills have some long history of great QBs either.

68ztz7.jpg

• Like 1

I think I speak for most if not all Bills fans when I say, I dont care if he disappears during the regular season... If he can be a force in the payoffs and make some big plays in big games then sign me the f up. 

Beane hasnt had too much luck drafting DEs who have contributed in big games. Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa have the big P word in POTENTIAL but we know what Von brings. 

• Like 1

People acting like they pay the checks and this money is coming out of their pockets 😆

But lets face it, the Bills window is wide open next season and this is the move they HAD to make. Allen is only accounting for 17 mil against the cap this season and when you look at the one weaknesses to Buffalo last season it was bringing the QB down in the backfield. 

We arguably have the best secondary in Tre'Davious White (all pro), Jordan Poyer (all pro) and Micah Hyde (all pro) with two stud LBs in Milano and Edmunds and a beast in the middle in Ed Oliver. This was the one position we were lacking and needed in the post season. 

The contract is essentially a 3 year, 53 million dollar fully guaranteed salary. I don't LOVE it but at the same time if we didn't make this move there was no other proven pass rusher that can help us win the super bowl. Yeah we could've saved the 17-20 million and used it else where but the offense doesn't really need to be touched. We need some help off the edge. 

Draft a CB in the 1st round and a deep threat WR in the 2nd round and call it a day. 

6 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Its legit the same contract that Chandler Jones got... 

One thing is for sure (outside of Tom Brad). 

Father time is undefeated and waits for no man. 

Chandler Jones just turned 32 years old 18 days ago and Von Miller turns 33 years old in 9 days. 

• Both of N.E/Arizona and Denver/Los Angeles fan bases have all seen the very best of Chandler Jones/Von Miller. 

• And both of the Raiders/Bills fan bases will witness the decline of both Chandler Jones/Von Miller while seeing them @ their very worst (come 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 and 38 years old).

Unless you're Bruce Smith/Reggie White/Kevin Greene etc it's very rare for an edge rusher to stay elite past 33 years old. 

• Even Lawrence Taylor completely broke down @ 32, 33 and 34 years old (before retiring @ 34).

DeMarcus Ware completely fell of an NFL cliff at 33 and 34 years old (and retired @ 34).

• Same goes for even Derrick Thomas who became washed up @ 32 years old and retired @ 33. 

• Same thing happened to most recently Jared Allen. Fell off a 32 years old cliff, was completely washed up @ 33 years old and retired @ 33.  

• Remember Dwight Freeney? First 11 years @ Indianapolis = 107.5 sacks throughout ages 22-32 but yet only 18 sacks with SD/Arizona/ATL/Seattle/DET throughout his next 5 years combined @ ages 33, 34, 35, 36 and 37 and was completely washed up after Indianapolis before turning 33. 

• Another great example is Jason Taylor. 117 sacks with Miami ages 23-33 but then could never come close to recording double digit sacks throughout his final 4 years with WAS/MIA/NYJ/MIA @ 34, 35, 36 and 37. 

• My last example (of many more to come) is Simeon Rice. Age 30 and 31 = 26 sacks (12 sacks and 14 sacks) but yet 32 and 33 = 3 sacks combined with TB/INDY/DEN and retired completely washed up (# the age of 33).

Pass rushers (on the wrong side of 30) are great as of yesterday and then completely finished/washed up by tomorrow (happens over night too).

Von Miller is a big name but he's turning 33 years old in 9 days and through his first 4 years he'll average $17.5M per year @ 33/34/35/36 years old.

Buffalo making him (@ 33 years old) one of the top 10 highest Defensive Players of All-Time is not only extreme but it's absolutely, nuts. 

Good luck. Because he's probably got 1 year left in the gas tank. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships