Jets Sign DE Jacob Martin

Bobby816

38 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

If we draft a guy at #4 and have him with Lawson and Huff I just don’t see the need for a situational pass rusher with 13 career sacks. I would of thought we’d sign a starter and have the rookie and Huff as situational pass rushers until the rookie was ready to start. 

Its just accumulating talent - and Martin is young with room for growth

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

If we draft a guy at #4 and have him with Lawson and Huff I just don’t see the need for a situational pass rusher with 13 career sacks. I would of thought we’d sign a starter and have the rookie and Huff as situational pass rushers until the rookie was ready to start. 

A starting EDGE will cost big $ which we no longer have.  With this class being a decent class for PR's, it makes more sense to draft a guy on a reasonable contract for 5 years.  So unless we trade for Hunter, which I doubt, Martin will be a decent depth piece.

I mentioned this once before, but if a team can draft good PR's, QB's, WR's and OT's that team will always have decent cap flexibility.  Those 4 positions are the highest paid.

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Huff and Lawson ended the year on the IR. Depth is never a bad idea.

Of course not. But like I said in an earlier reply…the overall talent needs to be increased in the pass rushing department.

So for me in place of Martin we should of brought in a Hunter, Jones, Smith etc. Especially seeing as though we went for cheaper options at corner and safety.

I would love nothing more than for Martin to become a big part of the pass rushing rotation (and it be successful) but I just don’t see it from the film Iv watched and the numbers.  

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Depth signing, we had none last season. I think the Jets make a bigger move at DE. 

The Jets could sign five of us to play DE and call it depth. I said weeks ago that we had the resources to not only add quantity but to add quality also. 

I don’t feel like the overall talent we’ve brought in so far is of the level required to start seriously winning football games on a regular basis. I also stated I feel our ‘star players’ will be homegrown drafted players which is cool and that’s why I’m so looking forward to the draft. 

So far this offseason I have not felt any of the players brought in have been ‘great’ signings just merely good mid level guys.

Which like I keep saying is cool because that’s the way we are building our squad big talent prevails in sports and I’m not sure we have the brought the talent in so far that can make a big difference. 

Im expecting that to change after 30th April.

Edited by KimuraGod

Martin is a meh signing. It is good insurance in case a) Carl Lawson cannot get back to his pre-2021 level of play and b) we cannot land either Hutchinson at No. 4 overall or Thibodeaux at No. 10 overall. Or, if we choose not to pick the latter at 4. 

With the moves made so far, I think we need to go defense with our first two picks. A game-changing edge rusher is still a need, imo. In fact, it has been a need virtually since I have been watching this team (circa 1980).

Since then, I can count three QUALITY pass rushers: LE Mark Gastineau (the reason I became a Jets fan), OLB Jeff Lageman and OLB John Abraham.

Am I missing anyone? 

44 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Martin is a meh signing. It is good insurance in case a) Carl Lawson cannot get back to his pre-2021 level of play and b) we cannot land either Hutchinson at No. 4 overall or Thibodeaux at No. 10 overall. Or, if we choose not to pick the latter at 4. 

With the moves made so far, I think we need to go defense with our first two picks. A game-changing edge rusher is still a need, imo. In fact, it has been a need virtually since I have been watching this team (circa 1980).

Since then, I can count three QUALITY pass rushers: LE Mark Gastineau (the reason I became a Jets fan), OLB Jeff Lageman and OLB John Abraham.

Am I missing anyone? 

Pace?  Marty Lyons?  Ellis?  Pre paid Wilkerson?  These guys were not strictly EDGE’s by today’s definition, but they made the O respect where they were at all times. 

Any pass rusher depth is a decent signing for me. It felt like we really missed Bryce Huff when he was out last year, and he should really just be a situational guy at this point. We can't have depth that bad when Saleh's entire defense relies on getting pressure on the QB.

9 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

The Jets could sign five of us to play DE and call it depth. I said weeks ago that we had the resources to not only add quantity but to add quality also. 

I don’t feel like the overall talent we’ve brought in so far is of the level required to start seriously winning football games on a regular basis. I also stated I feel our ‘star players’ will be homegrown drafted players which is cool and that’s why I’m so looking forward to the draft. 

So far this offseason I have not felt any of the players brought in have been ‘great’ signings just merely good mid level guys.

Which like I keep saying is cool because that’s the way we are building our squad big talent prevails in sports and I’m not sure we have the brought the talent in so far that can make a big difference. 

Im expecting that to change after 30th April.

I disagree, I rather us making a bunch of quality signings increasing the team talent then throw all the money onto 1-2 guys. Teams don't win SB in FA, they win it with drafting well.  Joe Douglas has shown that he is a GM that wants to build through the draft.  

I am still not convinced that he doesn't make a big trade for a proven player. Someone like Danielle Hunter would transform our DL.  But a roster as bad as the Jets, we needed this kind of offseason. Improving at many positions, with guys who want to be here and change the culture, allowing us flexibility in the draft. This draft is extremely important, we have so many high picks that we need a grand slam draft. 

Martin had over 30 QB pressures last season, he is athletic. 

Idk if the Jets view Lawson coming back as their big time edge rusher, but I rather keep adding to it because I don't trust Lawson. He had a lot of QB pressures, but never had a 10+ sack season and always gets significant injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I disagree, I rather us making a bunch of quality signings increasing the team talent then throw all the money onto 1-2 guys. Teams don't win SB in FA, they win it with drafting well.  Joe Douglas has shown that he is a GM that wants to build through the draft.  

I am still not convinced that he doesn't make a big trade for a proven player. Someone like Danielle Hunter would transform our DL.  But a roster as bad as the Jets, we needed this kind of offseason. Improving at many positions, with guys who want to be here and change the culture, allowing us flexibility in the draft. This draft is extremely important, we have so many high picks that we need a grand slam draft. 

Martin had over 30 QB pressures last season, he is athletic. 

Idk if the Jets view Lawson coming back as their big time edge rusher, but I rather keep adding to it because I don't trust Lawson. He had a lot of QB pressures, but never had a 10+ sack season and always gets significant injuries. 

It’s cool to disagree. We’ve all done that for years on here. Great thing is this isn’t some hypothetical debate; we will see the results come September. I have over the last four/five years really not liked the direction we have gone in and the players signed/drafted.

And each offseason I have debated on here to be told ‘trust the process’ etc and how certain signings would work. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened.

The same thing was said about the fateful Idzik dirty dozen. The more picks the better etc That turned out pretty horrific. 

At the end of the day we have to start winning football games. We have to start having meaningful games come December/January. (and not just trying to get the highest draft picks we can!) 

Does signings like Jacob Martin do that?! I hope so. But I can’t be sure as he simply didn’t have the pedigree to back it up. I’d love all these under the radar type signings to pan out. 

• Like 1

I’m happy JD isn’t trying to go toe-to-toe with the rest of the league. Build a team/support Zach first. If Zach isn’t the guy then we just wasted resources. If Zach shows significant improvement then next season we start making big moves. 

But then if we fast forward…we’ll probably need to replace Fant, CMG, Mosley?, Joyner, think about life after Lawson, do we sign Q to a big deal, etc. Is Becton on the field? Too many questions to be answered next season. Stay the course.