Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Playing through a serious injury is being a team player. It's on the team to shut the player down if he's a net negative. It's not on the player to make that call.

While I respect him for trying, he was doing it because he was in a contract year and didnt want Case Keenum to see the field. In fact, he rushed back from being shut down the very week after Keenum got a start and won the game even though Baker was nowhere close to being healthy.

If he had a 4 year deal in place with no threat to his job, he would have been shut down for the year.

If ppl think the Browns telling him he needs to grow up more triggered him, imagine if they shut him down against his will in a contract year.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

FYI, winners gut it out.

McNabb played a game on a broken ankle. 20-25 255 4 TDs 1 pick 132.1 rating.

He gutted it out less effectively in 2005 but the backup was an inept Mike McMahon.

Baker was in the way this year. His backup led a team to the NFCCG before.

I award House Progressive no points for playing badly while injured when the backup was the better man.

Is it only the QB who is allowed to be an anchor in a contract year or can the whole team play too?

Edited by SkippyX

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

While I respect him for trying, he was doing it because he was in a contract year and didnt want Case Keenum to see the field. In fact, he rushed back from being shut down the very week after Keenum got a start and won the game even though Baker was nowhere close to being healthy.

If he had a 4 year deal in place with no threat to his job, he would have been shut down for the year.

If ppl think the Browns telling him he needs to grow up more triggered him, imagine if they shut him down against his will in a contract year.

If that was the situation, I'd have very different thoughts about it. But it's not the situation before us. The Browns could have shut Baker down.

Just now, jrry32 said:

If that was the situation, I'd have very different thoughts about it. But it's not the situation before us. The Browns could have shut Baker down.

Fair, I asked that question to myself a lot during the season and the staff kept saying 'Hes cleared by doctors and he is adamant about playing'

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Playing through a serious injury is being a team player. It's on the team to shut the player down if he's a net negative. It's not on the player to make that call.

Guess it’s a difference in philosophy. You’re a professional, one that hasn’t gotten a big pay day, in a sport that will move on from you in a second. You have to compartmentalize and do what’s best for you. Which in this case, also would’ve been best for the team because he wasn’t very good this past season. 

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yep. He was selfish, but in all the wrong ways. He easily would’ve gotten another chance, or maybe even gotten the extension if he shut it down.

6 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Baker spent all last season trying to earn a new contract, the notion that he was doing what was best for the team is BS and you also have NO CLUE what going on behind closed doors in ATL so your speculation about Ryan being promised a trade is meaningless. 

BrownsDog: *speculates about something he can't possibly know, painting his team's quarterback in an ugly light in an attempt to achieve a desired narrative*

Also BrownsDog: "How dare you speculate about Atlanta. You can't know that."

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Says who? You? Weird narrative that has no credence.

Probably, yes; however, either way, it would have been the choice of his coach. He got hung out to dry. He has to get surgery immediately after the season was over. This lady year absolutely ruined his contract negotiations. The Browns did him dirty.

I don't know how you get to this logic. He was a number one pick and has big endorsement deals. If they sat him it only hurts the front office, as they have less data to look at when looking at an extension. That's why STEFANSKI choose to put him in even though it would likely hurt his value IN A CONTRACT YEAR (even though it wasn't...because 5th year option, so that part of your argument is weak).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Fair, I asked that question to myself a lot during the season and the staff kept saying 'Hes cleared by doctors and he is adamant about playing'

Who cares? Every quarterback should be willing to play, even if injured. It's for the coach and trainers to make the tough choice and bench him. The funny thing is if it was Bellichik zero people would believe Baker was calling the shots on his playing time. You're not making sense, just making up rules that no other team follows in order to try to support your weak argument IMO.

19 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Guess it’s a difference in philosophy. You’re a professional, one that hasn’t gotten a big pay day, in a sport that will move on from you in a second. You have to compartmentalize and do what’s best for you. Which in this case, also would’ve been best for the team because he wasn’t very good this past season. 

You're writing an interesting story about Baker--very creative stuff.

17 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Yep. He was selfish, but in all the wrong ways. He easily would’ve gotten another chance, or maybe even gotten the extension if he shut it down.

Except this didn't happen so...

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

BrownsDog: *speculates about something he can't possibly know, painting his team's quarterback in an ugly light in an attempt to achieve a desired narrative*

Any player who’s in a contact year that gets hurt but is capable of playing us going to play for the opportunity to earn a new lucrative contract. That a base assumption. The narrative pushing is this idea that Baker is this selfless teammate who only waned what’s best for everyone else 

23 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Says who? You? Weird narrative that has no credence.

Probably, yes; however, either way, it would have been the choice of his coach. He got hung out to dry. He has to get surgery immediately after the season was over. This lady year absolutely ruined his contract negotiations. The Browns did him dirty.

I don't know how you get to this logic. He was a number one pick and has big endorsement deals. If they sat him it only hurts the front office, as they have less data to look at when looking at an extension. That's why STEFANSKI choose to put him in even though it would likely hurt his value IN A CONTRACT YEAR (even though it wasn't...because 5th year option, so that part of your argument is weak).

You do realize that you sound equally ridiculous trying to pretend it was a giant conspiracy theory and Stefanski put a injured QB out there so he tanked his value and they could release him. Right? 

Calling my opinion speculative, but then speculating in return.

I will say with 100% certainty--Baker forcing HIMSELF back on the field because there was money on the line and he was scared Keenum was going to take off is far more likely than Stefanski playing a injured player against his will so that he will suck, the Browns will lose and they can trade him.

Given the fact that he got injured at Texas Tech and lost his job while injured to Davis Webb so he transferred--I would say this is the exact same scenario playing out all over again 10 years later. he was scared to lose his job to Keenum if he sat because thats exactly how he bounced around in college.

That is much more believable 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Who does Mayfield think he is? He has no pull and doesn’t have much value. 

I wouldn’t want him. He’s likely the 17th best QB in the league, average QB, and four years in we know exactly 100% who he is. 

Also butthurt that the Browns were shopping for a QB? Nothing irritates me more than a sensitive QB. It’s a business… and you have been average at best. 

I waded through 7 pages before someone offered the proper summary. Why resign someone or trade for someone who is a jerk and doesn't do anything except stagnate your franchise?

Deshaun Watson is thousands of times a more sensible and astute pursuit than Baker Mayfield. Ability and otherwise. I always laughed when people told me to read reports in the Watson case. Only fools care about reports. Generalities overwhelm specifics. I know damn well what type of people Jack Easterby, Cal McNair and Tony Buzbee are, and therefore what they are capable of. Mayfield has defined himself year after year while all we have is a molded impression of Watson.

22 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Any player who’s in a contract year who gets hurt but is capable of playing is going to play for the opportunity to earn a new lucrative contract. That's a base assumption.

That is indeed a base assumption.

22 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

The narrative pushing is this idea that Baker is this selfless teammate who only wanted what’s best for everyone else 

I think maybe you're projecting some sinister stuff here. He is a professional playing a sport he clearly loves playing. He wants to get paid like anyone else would. He has been reported to be a great teammate every step of the way from college to NFL. He wants to play and he wants to win. And he wants to get paid.  He was set to get paid BEFORE this year. The discussion had already started. Playing through injury is a stupid idea for a quarterback and I'd say Baker probably--neither of us know this, though--wanted to play but also left it up to the coach. If Stef leaves this stuff up to his players then he should be fired.

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You do realize that you sound equally ridiculous trying to pretend it was a giant conspiracy theory and Stefanski put a injured QB out there so he tanked his value and they could release him. Right? 

How did you get that from what I wrote? When I said they did him dirty I meant they did him no favors trotting him out there injured every week.  No one is saying that it was a fix or something.

Calling my opinion speculative, but then speculating in return.

I will say with 100% certainty--Baker forcing HIMSELF back on the field because there was money on the line and he was scared Keenum was going to take off is far more likely than Stefanski playing a injured player against his will so that he will suck, the Browns will lose and they can trade him.

Again, I didn't say any of this. I said they didn't care about whether or not that hurt his shots of getting paid. They thought he was the best shot to win, whether or not that made the injury worse. They guessed wrong and everyone paid. Again, this is 100% on the coaches.

And I'll still disagree: NO PLAYERS IN THE NFL FORCE THEMSELVES ONTO THE FIELD WITHOUT THE COACH'S SIGNING OFF. Just stop. You're a low-key gossip column.

Given the fact that he got injured at Texas Tech and lost his job while injured to Davis Webb so he transferred--I would say this is the exact same scenario playing out all over again 10 years later. he was scared to lose his job to Keenum if he sat because thats exactly how he bounced around in college.

That is much more believable 

🤦

• Like 1